Build updates/Upgrades assistance - R610

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LtChachee

Feb 3, 2021
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out a how to fix my memory bandwidth issue and make sure an upgrade is going to work. I'm not sure if this is the right spot in the forum, if not please let me know.

I've got a R610 that I'm using as an ESXI box for cybersecurity testing/training. Here's the specs -

CPU's
Intel® Xeon® Processor X5670 - Intel® Xeon® Processor X5670 (12M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) Product Specifications

Memory - 192GB installed, 800MHz
Max Memory Size up to 192GB (12 DIMM slots): 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB DDR3 up to 1333MHz (per the dell spec sheet)
Memory Types DDR3 800/1066/1333

BIOS - 6.3.0

Perc6/1
Firmware -6.3.1-0003

iDRAC6
Version 1.60
Firmware Revision ver - 1.96.01
Backplane firmware - 1.07

ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 13006603)

Hard Drives - 6x Hitachi 450GB SAS,
Planned upgrade - 6x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Some questions:

1) Is there a way to troubleshoot the memory speed without pulling all the sticks out?

2) I just learned about interposers needed for SATA drives in SAS slots. Is that something I'm going to need for this server?

3) Looks like all firmwares need to get updated, however where do I find the Firmware Revisions version under iDRAC6 and the Backplane firmware? I've tried online searches and they're coming up nuts. I've ordered the enterprise card, should I wait for that to be installed before attempting upgrade?

I'm also trying to figure if I should donate this and just get a R630 so it'll be more cost effective and "supported" for longer...

I really appreciate it.

LtChachee

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
1) What do you mean by troubleshoot the memory speed? If its running at 800mhz its probably 800mhz ram, check the idrac to see what modules are installed.

2) The backplane should take sata or SAS without issue, that said the SATA only runs at 3gb/s speeds so if you want to upgrade to SSD I would get the R630 or you're going to be bottlenecked pretty heavily by the perc card and lane speeds in general (you might get 1/2 your rate speed out of the evos, if that).

3) From what I can tell theres no backplane update for the R610 I haven't used this site for downloads but it seems pretty extensive: http://www.poweredgec.com/latest_poweredge-11g.html#R610 BIOS

If you are going to update for manual install files you can get it from the dell support site via punching in your serial number and then under drivers & downloads tab select BIOS as the operating system then locate the options you need: Support | Dell Canada

1612391881573.png

From the looks of it these are the latest versions for the main items:
BIOS: 6.6.0
Lifecycle: v1.7.5
idrac: Dell iDRAC Monolithic Release 2.92
Perc6/i: 6.3.3-0002, A-00

Also you may need to research the upgrade pathing for the idrac, bios looks ok, idrac possibly needs several jumps from the looks of it:

If you want to put in the work you can make a easy install Bootable update ISO with DRM (Dell Repository Manager): Support for Dell EMC Repository Manager (DRM) | Dell Canada

All the newer models R620 and up Dell makes and updates every 3-6 months and provide on the website: Update PowerEdge Servers with Platform Specific Bootable ISO | Dell Canada

Personally the R610 is really old and power hungry if you can afford the upgrade a R620/R630 that would be the lowest model I would go with for myself.

LtChachee

Feb 3, 2021
Thank you very much for those links. I'd found some other dell sites with the software, but those are much more succinct.

1) Apologies, I worded my question poorly. I believe there's a stick or 2 of 800MHz forcing them all to utilize that speed. I'll check iDRAC like you suggested.

2) Copy, appreciate the info. Didn't even know the backplanes had firmware until today.

3) What did you search for to find the dell community post? Trying to get my search skills stronger.

I've been thinking pretty hard about a 630. I don't want to upgrade just for "the new thing." But everywhere I look online basically says get out of the R610.

Got a quote for the following -

R630 8 X 2.5"
dual E5-2660 V3
8x8GB DDR4
PERC H730
No HD's
Everything updated

for about $700.

Also looking at a 720XD w/ 3.5" for more. Haven't gotten a quote yet.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Ah k cuz I have a couple of 720XD i think theyre with 2.5” though, might have one with 3.5”. I’m in the Austin, TX area though.

As noted with those upgrade packs the r620/720 and newer series are as easy as booting to a flash disk or connecting the iso to idrac remotely and it self updates whats needed.

LtChachee

Feb 3, 2021
We just left San Antonio :D.

Yea got a few questions into the guys giving me quotes about further upgrades...getting memory is going to be a bear.

Wife's on board though, so win.

I'll just say I'm super happy for this forum. It's been awhile since I've seen a good board with interaction and Reddit, while fun, ain't it. Reminds me of when I built my first dual P3 server w/ ISA cables and I needed help getting FreeNAS beta (I think) to work on it. Works led me down a different path for about 12 years, but I'm excited.

Thanks man.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If you end up goin the route with DDR3 Rdimm I can hook ya up with some reasonable cost ram potentially.
leeme know if you got other questions etc

Reactions: LtChachee