- Mar 14, 2016
**Disclaimer** The above pic of the CaseLabs case is not my build. Though it is gorgeous.
First and foremost I want to acknowledge that this is not the typical STH build as this is really more of an enthusiast overclocker build but being that I'm an avid enthusiast of both home servers/networking and overclocking/watercooling I thought it might be fun to share this build here. This is as much of a hobby/artwork build as it is a productivity build. So with that out of the way, let's get started.
This is my first build since 2014 (see my Puff's Punisher S3 Build). I was forced to sell that build shortly after building it due to a sudden move and I've been itching for a new build ever since. Well, today (or in a month when my SMA8 rev. A arrives) is the day.
This build will be my daily workstation that focuses on VM's, video rendering, mining, and a little gaming on the side. So a little bit for everyone. For these purposes I've chosen to build around the Threadripper 1950x and x399 platform. Below is a list of components I've ordered/will be ordering and it will be updated regularly along with images as parts arrive. Feel free to chime in to discuss the physical components or the daily uses for this build as there are many. Links are to where I purchased these items though the prices have changed on some since I purchased them.
- CaseLabs SMA8 rev. A (White with Black interior)
- AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core / 32-thread CPU
- ASRock x399 Taichi
- G.Skill TridentZ Series 64GB (16GB x 4)
- EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (x2)
- EVGA SuperNova 1200P Platinum PSU
- Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
The goal of this water loop is to get as silent of cooling as possible. I'll be using ultra low speed fans and doing two loops.
- Watercool Heatkiller TR2 Nickel CPU Block
- EK GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Blocks + Nickel Backplates
- Hardware Labs SR2 560 (GPU Loop)
- Hardware Labs SR2 480 (CPU Loop)
- LAING D5 Strong (x2) + Protium D5 Silver Pump Cover + Protium D5 Polished Acrylic Pump Top
- Protium Large 250mm Silver Polished Reservoir (x2)
- Silent Wings 3 Fans
- AquaComputer Aquaero XT Black/Blue Fan Controller
- Fittings - TBD (chrome)
- Tubing - TBD (PETG of some kind)
- Coolant - TBD
Dell U3818DW 38" Ultrawide 3840x1600 Monitor (yes not a gaming monitor, but then again I game maybe once/twice a month)