Budget Network VS Premium Network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I just have one simple question.

Why is budget network considered bad and premium network considered good?
What i am looking at here is what exactly is the bad thing about budget network? Is it that it is slow or that visitors will not be able to access website well of something? I mean i really just want to clarify this once and for all.

Also premium network..why is it so glorified and what exactly are the advantages? What magic does premium network do?

Now to top it off...how many percent of the internet or websites do you think run on premium network vs budget network?

Thanks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
guessing you are talking about datacenter bandwidth?

I think most of it comes to latency and peering. let's say you have a website on XO and your customer is on BT's network. now at peak parts of the day, your visitor goes from BT's network, through a switch to XO to your server and back to BT's network. If those switching ports are overloaded, then that can take time. also let's say your server is in new york city your visitor is in london but the cheap provider only has peering in los angeles. the traffic may have to go an extra 5000 miles adding latency

Thatguy

Dec 30, 2012
I just have one simple question.

Why is budget network considered bad and premium network considered good?
What i am looking at here is what exactly is the bad thing about budget network? Is it that it is slow or that visitors will not be able to access website well of something? I mean i really just want to clarify this once and for all.

Also premium network..why is it so glorified and what exactly are the advantages? What magic does premium network do?

Now to top it off...how many percent of the internet or websites do you think run on premium network vs budget network?

Thanks.
Sounds like excellent questions for your sales rep.

Premium usually isn't oversold, or isn't oversold as much. Also premium benefits from better peering.

Budget will be garbage like cogent, he, savvis, etc. and will be heavily oversold/leveraged. For example, Selling 50 people the same 1gbps connection/uplink. While at times you may get your full 1gbps, if everyone is trying to use it at once, you will run into capacity issues and reduced speeds.

I used to pay $10/mbps/mo for my bandwidth, and it was fairly nice bandwidth. No latency issues, port would always do gigabit, no issues at all. now I pay closer to $2-3/mbps/mo and it's absolute garbage.

Also to say 'what % run on premium vs budget' makes me think you have no idea how the internet or peering works.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Also to say 'what % run on premium vs budget' makes me think you have no idea how the internet or peering works.
To be sincere you with...i am not very confident to say i know how the they work..i mean to some extent but i am trying to learn as much as possible. So can you please give some details or any readup to learn about how peering work.
My major problem is network..because there aren't much resources that really explain network stuffs in plain english

Also the reason i asked is because we all know there are more providers using budget network than premium and that was what i meant by the percentage...because i will say for most part...if one takes out top 500 websites in the world....majority of the remaining are mostly budget network...is that logic true?

Last edited: