BThunderW's Hardware Stuff

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
With ambient noise in office 23 dBA

60dBA at 3ft rear
55.5dBA at 3ft front

Ambient noise in server room 66dBA. 24dBA behind closed doors.

I guess it depends on your definition of quiet :) I can't hear the server room behind closed doors.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Thank you. One man's loud is indeed another man's quiet.

From when I borrowed a meter before the Juniper switch is about 50-55dBA in a room with about 25dBA ambient. 60dBA would be MUCH louder. My garage tends to be warmer than your server room probably is, so the fans are likely spun up a bit from what you measured too...

I have noticed that the fan control on the DL180 is just psychotic about trying to maintain the CPU temps as close to 50c as possible - it little bit of rise off of that target and the fans spin up to max very, very quickly. Keep it at or below that target and the fans drop to minimums. So in a nice temperature controlled server room you probably get minimum fans most of the time.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
One pretty impressive setup you have!

Might have to invest in a sound meter, just got a Dell 8024F and curious to know how loud that is.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Seen a few similar ones here in the UK, as long as its close thats all that matters to me :)

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Posted this in [H], might as well post here as well :)

Primary development workstation:
I5-3570K
32GB RAM
256GB OCZ Vertex 4
EVGA GTX 670 (drives the Dell U3011)
EVGA GTX 640 (drives the Dell 2007FP displays)
Sound Blaster Z connected to (old) Yamaha RX-V2500 which in turns drives a pair of B&W DM601 S2's and a pair of Paradigm Titans plus a Paradigm PDR-8

Gaming / Video Editing Box (Horribly out of date):
I7 870
16GB RAM
256GB OCZ Vertex 4 boot + 2x300GB 15K SAS in Raid-0 for videos and games
EVGA GTX 670 drives an older Benq 24" display
Logitech Z5300 via SB X-Fi
Logitech G19 Keyboard + Mionix Naos 5000 and Saitek X52 Flight system

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Nice speakers, horrible physical arrangement. I run into the same problem, I can never have to much desk space.

Out of curiosity, what is on the breadboard?

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Yeah, arrangement is pretty bad but the staging isn't too bad. It's still running only running in 2 channel mode. The additional speakers make up for the small size of the drivers.

I'm working on a few personal projects. I'm currently tweaking a design I did a few weeks ago RC Flasher | Altered Realms that my friends are asking for (hence the Mouser component bags on the desk).

The multi meters are part of testing of another project UltraDMM. A universal mult-meter software I'm developing.

Nice speakers, horrible physical arrangement. I run into the same problem, I can never have to much desk space.

Out of curiosity, what is on the breadboard?