Brocade VDX 6720 - Looking for firmware and recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acor254

Jun 11, 2021
Trying to get together a home lab to do some test builds of small desktop based ceph storage clusters for understanding before committing work time to proof of concept with server hardware that may need to be purchased. I needed an inexpensive 10Gb SFP+ switch to make it happen with at least 16 ports, that at least had vlan capabilities and some enterprise features. I came across a Brocade VDX 6720 - 16 that looked like it might fit the bill for a good price on ebay before realizing getting firmware for it was going to be a pain along with other factors since I never have worked with Brocades before. Too late, have it now.

Does anyone have firmware for this model that they would be willing to share as well as any advice? I know the going suggestion now is put it back on ebay, but I am willing to put a bit of work into it for a learning project if need be. Current firmware revision is v2.1 Ugh, but at least I can console into it without any big fight. So I would be looking for whatever revisions I would need to step up to relatively current.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,
Aaron

acor254

Jun 11, 2021
Haven't had a chance to try the firmware yet. But just an update. I brought home some spare transceivers from work to see if any would work on the switch with the original v2.1 firmware. Happy to report the 10Gtek 10Gb copper and 1Gb Copper transceivers work without issue. Just had to change ports to switchport mode (L2) since they were all trunked by default. Was able to connect from my ubuntu linux box to pfsense fw no problem. The passive twinax Proline didn't work but I grabbed that before I saw it was unlikely to work. I'll try some fiber transceivers this week and see if any might work and report as I have heard these switches can be particularly picky about non-brocade transceivers.

acor254

Jun 11, 2021
Tried yesterday on the firmware. Was unsuccessful so far with the firmware I picked up for NOS3.0.1. Tried USB (no brocade branded USB) didn't recognize my flash drive. Issues with SCP and FTP as well. Switch was in vcs mode and couldn't get a copy to work to SCP or FTP for startup or run config or support files. Made a putty copy of running config just in case. Disabled VCS mode. Got one good copy of startup config copied via SCP to my ubuntu server. No dice though on uploading the firmware. Extracted tar file to folder as expected and made sure I could get to it via both methods FTP and SCP and the folder path. Would not take it on the firmware download though. I probably missed something or it is unhappy with newer protocols being firmware on the switch from 2011. Gonna spin up a VM or physical with Freebsd 8.3 from that timeframe with ssh and ftp and maybe even tftp too and try again this weekend.

acor254

Jun 11, 2021
Does anyone have access to VDX 6720 firmware rev NOS3.0.0? apparently 2.1 to 3.0.1 was too big a jump. Got it to flash but having issues after.

acor254

Jun 11, 2021
Nevermind, got it working replacing config with default and doing firmwaredownload from root login. Was able to reapply 3.0.1, then 4.0.1, then 4.1.3d the final version for this model. Seems to be working ok now and a little quieter at idle.

jimbrechts

Aug 25, 2021
Nevermind, got it working replacing config with default and doing firmwaredownload from root login. Was able to reapply 3.0.1, then 4.0.1, then 4.1.3d the final version for this model. Seems to be working ok now and a little quieter at idle.
Hi Acor254, just sent you a PM, thanks for the story, very interesting. I'm in the same boat.

Ting859

Sep 18, 2021
Hi, acro254

I just bought vdx6720 from ebay, I can not find firmware download, can you send me a link to download firmware? thanks.

also, did you get web gui working? if yes, how did you do it?

thanks very much.

gangrene

Apr 9, 2022
Do any of you still have this firmware laying around? I'm on 3.0.1, looking to get to 4.1.3d, just like everyone else!

GillianSeed

Jan 14, 2023
Hey Everyone, just grabbed a 6720-24. Looks like I'm in need of some firmware also. I'm currently on 2.1, if anyone here can help me out I'd appreciate it greatly!

Cheers,

Gillian

dzenx

Feb 4, 2023
Hey Everyone, just grabbed a 6720-24. Looks like I'm in need of some firmware also. I'm currently on 2.1, if anyone here can help me out I'd appreciate it greatly!

Cheers,

Gillian
Hi Gillian, I looking to buy this switch (6720-24) and wonder if you were able to figure out proper firmware for it? Also, how loud this switch?

Thanks,

Dan

GillianSeed

Jan 14, 2023
Hey Dzenx,

I haven't had a chance to upgrade the switch. It seems to run good on the current build. These switches are a bit on the loud side, I would say its close to your normal data center switch. I'm running mine with a single PSU which helps with sound. Probably not your family room switch if you know what I mean. I plan on upgrading to 4.1.3, looks pretty straight forward. Good luck on your purchase!

Cheers,

Gillian

dzenx

Feb 4, 2023
Thanks Gillian, that is what i suspected in terms of the noise... I might get one to experiment with later but I have "close to silence" requirement as it will be sitting literally in 6 feet from me.

Tower3000

Jan 12, 2024
i want to upgrade my vdx 6720 to 4.1.3d
Can someone send me the Fimrware 4.1.0 and 4.1.3.d for the vdx6720 ?
I can't find the firmware-Files on the internet, perhaps a link or a pm.
Thank you in advance