Brocade / Ruckus vs Cisco VLAN behaviour

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
New switch, new weird issue.

Trying to migrate from a Cisco SG350X to a Ruckus 7450-24

Devices on VLAN1 (Cisco default/No VLAN) are working fine on the Cisco on VLAN 1 on an access port.
I can ping the device from the Ruckus switch while its on thee cisco, so VLAN 1 passes fine to the Ruckus' uplink port.

The Ruckus has a default VLAN of 4000, the target port (1/1/2 for example) has VLAN 1 as untagged, trunk is false.

Problem is, no device that was working on VLAN1 on the Cisco is working on VLAN1 on the Ruckus and I can't seem to find why. O/c the port is up, link is fine, just not passing traffic...

Other devices (tagged downlink to another switch) are fine, only access ports are not working.
I have a second 7450 which is configured basically identically (i think) which is working fine...

Quite perplexing...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok, seems i found a solution... quite complicated...

no vlan 1

Now to understand why ... I mean, I know why, VLAN 1 is a vlan like any other for the brocade so its running a tag on it, while VLAN 1 on the Cisco is basically *no* vlan ie no tag...

But why... is it working with vlan 1 on the other 7450 but not on this one?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
vlan 1 isn't a vlan like others, there's no tag or vlan header of any sort (well, there can be, and some gear can do it, but it shouldn't be done and will confuse 90% of equipment when they receive a vlan tag with a value of 1). if you're trying to connect the ruckus switch that has everything in the default vlan of 4000 to a cisco that has a bunch of stuff in vlan 1, you need to make whatever ruckus port is connecting to the cisco an untagged port in the default vlan 4000. sounds like you had it in vlan 1, which nothing else on the ruckus is in, so of course pings didn't work. I'm guessing that's also why it started working when you ran "no vlan 1", it wiped any vlan 1 related config including the cisco facing port you had put into it, and it fell back to being in the default vlan, 4000, with the rest of your stuff

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Switch to switch connectivity was /is working fine via tagged ports.

The problem was the Access ports (Untagged VLAN1) which were not working for things like printers or PCs.
They do work with "no vlan 1"
The same PC/Printer worked fine on the cisco with VLAN1 Untagged configured on an access port

Maybe there is a fineprint I don't see, but if VLAN1 is special too on the Ruckus then I don't get why I had to remove it...