Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Perhaps I am just misinformed (good chance, since I'm new to this stuff). I was under the impression that you needed a special transceiver to get these switches to play nice with 2.5/5gb devices, otherwise it wouldn't work unless the both devices supported 10gb.
You're right. :)

But that's my point. If this is the one you bought, it shouldn't have worked. :D Maybe what you bought is actually a different model number?

RandellH

Oct 18, 2020
You're right. :)

But that's my point. If this is the one you bought, it shouldn't have worked. :D Maybe what you bought is actually a different model number?
Here is the one I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQBFHNL (Size: 10GBase-T: 30m)

And here is a picture (sort of matches the picture on the Amazon page, same part number but mine actually has the multigig text). Doesn't seem to match what the switch reports

From the switch console:
Type : 10GE SR 300m (SFP+)
Part# : SFP-10G-SR

This is a picture of what I plugged into that cage:
20230306_174148.jpg

The point of my post was that both I and person I replied to got the Mikrotik S+rj10 wasn't even properly detected by the switch (no link light) and this one appears to work. (I admitted I didn't search enough and there was postings about that one not working)

I updated my original post, but it looks like according to Amazon page it has the Marvell 88x3310 which appears to have some issues according to another post here.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin and kapone

RandellH

Oct 18, 2020
See? The model # is different!
I might have ninja edited this after you initially read it:

1678148556375.png
While the switch "sees" SFP-10G-SR, it is ASF-10G2-T (according to the actual label on the product).

I should have posted that part number, or the link to the Amazon page. I was attempting to avoid posting an Amazon link. But now that I look at the Amazon page even closer, their picture shows ASF-10G-T. So all kinds of crazy.

So, I ordered their 10GBase-T: 30m, which has a picture of an ASF-10G-T but received a ASF-10G2-T and when installed the switch sees an SFP-10G-SR. That should clear it right up!

DerTom

Mar 30, 2021
Do you need L3 routing on the switch itself? It looks like you could use pfsense to route based on L2 VLANs.
That is what I'm doing right now. I'm about to go to 10Gb and my pfSense-box does not have 10Gb nics.

By having to use another router/switch I'm also thinking about using an ICX6610-24p and 40Gb,There is just this little problem with a lot of watts being needed and a difficult task to get this switch being silent (fan-swap).

rjrobert

Mar 7, 2023
Hi All,

I'm brand new to these devices, and enterprise-grade networking in general, but have eager to learn something new, so I figured I'd dive in. However, I think I might have just hosed myself here and need some help. Just picked up an ICX-6450-48 off eBay and was following the Fohdeesha guide, up to the point of running the "update_primary" command when I managed to kick the power cable plugged into the wall next to my desk and the unit lost power (1st dumb mistake). Then, I realized I had my ethernet cable plugged to a regular switch port instead of the management port (2nd dumb mistake, can't read instructions, apparently). Now, I can't seem to get the serial console to show up. After many reboots, and letting the serial connection remain open for a while, I sometimes see some information come across the screen, even once prompting me to press 'b' to access the bootloader, but it seems to freeze up after that. So, I'm not sure if something happed to the serial cable (which I doubt), or I effed up the bootloader and bricked the switch.

Any ideas or suggestions?

kapone

May 23, 2015
Hi All,

I'm brand new to these devices, and enterprise-grade networking in general, but have eager to learn something new, so I figured I'd dive in. However, I think I might have just hosed myself here and need some help. Just picked up an ICX-6450-48 off eBay and was following the Fohdeesha guide, up to the point of running the "update_primary" command when I managed to kick the power cable plugged into the wall next to my desk and the unit lost power (1st dumb mistake). Then, I realized I had my ethernet cable plugged to a regular switch port instead of the management port (2nd dumb mistake, can't read instructions, apparently). Now, I can't seem to get the serial console to show up. After many reboots, and letting the serial connection remain open for a while, I sometimes see some information come across the screen, even once prompting me to press 'b' to access the bootloader, but it seems to freeze up after that. So, I'm not sure if something happed to the serial cable (which I doubt), or I effed up the bootloader and bricked the switch.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Throw it in the trash and start afresh with another one?

Reactions: dswartz

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I had an issue with my icx6650 and it was in a crash loop. I downloaded the latest firmware and followed the guide as usual, but after I flashed and set the license for ICX6650-10G-LIC-POD I noticed that it says the license capacity was only 24. This router has 56 ports on the front. Did I just lose more than half my capacity? Or is there another license somewhere I am missing?

MikeSpears

Feb 8, 2016

kapone

May 23, 2015
Got the cable, and getting farther. I seem to have gotten 2 servers to consistently stay linked, however anything additional seems to drop after 30-45 mins. Any ideas?
That's weird. These exact cables have been working 100% with all ports connected...since 2018 in my setup. I've never had a single hiccup.

Edit: What nics are you using on the other end?

MikeSpears

Feb 8, 2016
That's weird. These exact cables have been working 100% with all ports connected...since 2018 in my setup. I've never had a single hiccup.

Edit: What nics are you using on the other end?
Mellanox Connect-X2 (stopped working after about 30 mins, takes standard fiber + optics no problem)
QLogic Inc. QLogic 57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (HPE DL360p G8 Onboard) works
Mellanox Technologies ConnectX-3 Pro EN NIC; 10GigE; dual-port SFP+ (MCX312B-XCC) (works)

kapone

May 23, 2015
Mellanox Connect-X2 (stopped working after about 30 mins, takes standard fiber + optics no problem)
QLogic Inc. QLogic 57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (HPE DL360p G8 Onboard) works
Mellanox Technologies ConnectX-3 Pro EN NIC; 10GigE; dual-port SFP+ (MCX312B-XCC) (works)
So, the 57810 and CX3 stay connected, but the CX2 drops off? Any chance you can connect another 57810 or CX3 instead of the CX2, to rule out the cable?

MikeSpears

Feb 8, 2016
So, the 57810 and CX3 stay connected, but the CX2 drops off? Any chance you can connect another 57810 or CX3 instead of the CX2, to rule out the cable?
I've got an HPE 530SFP+ (same card as the QLogic Inc. QLogic 57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (HPE DL360p G8 Onboard) except a PCI-E card, will swap that in now.

Reactions: kapone

MikeSpears

Feb 8, 2016
Card swapped, switch rebooted (just for good measure), the 3 servers I've got connected to the breakout are all online. Hoping they stay up.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'll add to this successful configs. I am using a mix of CX3 dual, and 520's: SM and Chelsio with the Cisco AOC breakouts also Cisco CUCM DACs on the front panel SFP+'s. Zero problems for 4 years now, some in LACP some in ESXI multiple nics per vswitch and some in XCP-NG all dual connected. I have used the 40Gbe CX3's with AOC and netapp QSFP cables and zero problems on the 40gbe ports in non stacking mode.

Known issues with XL710's at 40gbe on the 6610 though they worked at 10gbe using the breakouts and that is documented in thread circa november-december 2022 and earlier.