Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
While it’s likely best practice to upload the new bootloader from the boot prompt regardless, have you checked to see whether you’re already on the newest bootloader?

A quick sh ver should do the trick. If you’re already on the latest boot code, then it’s fairly trivial to update the software image via SSH/telnet

thebwack

Jul 7, 2020
here is the output

Code:
telnet@ICX7250-24 Switch#sh ver                                                 
  Copyright (c) 1996-2016 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserv
ed.                                                                             
    UNIT 1: compiled on May 19 2016 at 01:22:26 labeled as SPS08030h           
      (28713156 bytes) from Primary SPS08030h.bin                               
        SW: Version 08.0.30hT211                                               
      Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.06T215 (spz10106
)                                                                               
  HW: Stackable ICX7250-24                                                     
==========================================================================     
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX7250-24 24-port Management Module                             
      Serial  #:DUH3824N00C                                                     
      License: BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: fwjINHJpFFe)                           
      P-ASIC  0: type B344, rev 01  Chip BCM56344_A0                           
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX7250-SFP-Plus 8-port 80G Module                               
 1000 MHz ARM processor ARMv7 88 MHz bus

thebwack

Jul 7, 2020
wondering if I could load SPR08080f.bin or something newer from the telnet prompt to then allow me to flash the 8095 ufi

if not I'll wait while I order the correct serial cable and see if that works. seems like making a DIY console cable for the MiniUSB is hit or miss so Im probably doing something wrong there.

js00

Dec 6, 2022
Not a direct question for this series but how do you use public IPs with these switches do you need to configure the IP blocks or are they just plug and play like for private IP ranges.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Not a direct question for this series but how do you use public IPs with these switches do you need to configure the IP blocks or are they just plug and play like for private IP ranges.
If you are using the L2 firmware (in 'switch' mode), there is no need to manage IP blocks at all.
If you are using the L3 firmware (in 'router' mode), you set it up like you would any IPv4 or IPv6 router.

Reactions: js00

js00

Dec 6, 2022
If you are using the L2 firmware (in 'switch' mode), there is no need to manage IP blocks at all.
If you are using the L3 firmware (in 'router' mode), you set it up like you would any IPv4 or IPv6 router.
I don't currently have access I presume by default these ICX (after factory reset) are in L2 firmware mode?

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
No, it depends on the firmware that is installed; the device will either boot 'S' (switch) or 'R' (router) firmware depending on what has been loaded into its flash.

js00

Dec 6, 2022
No, it depends on the firmware that is installed; the device will either boot 'S' (switch) or 'R' (router) firmware depending on what has been loaded into its flash.
Private IPs where working fine between my machines so it would be in L2?

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
There's really not enough information to be able to answer this question.

If your statement is "I have two machines onto which I have configured addresses from the RFC 1918 ranges and those machines are able to communicate with each other when connected through this ICX box", then it could be that the ICX is running L2 firmware... it could also be running L3 firmware in a factory-default configuration where there is only a single VLAN and no routing configured.

In either case it doesn't matter whether the addresses are 'private' (RFC 1918) or 'public'.

kemic

Aug 15, 2015
Forgive me if this has been addressed in this massive thread already…

I’m trying to configure the rear ports as an LACP lag and for some reason when I add the lag primary port to a vlan as a tagged port, one of the ports in the lag goes down and won’t come back up until I reboot the switch. I tried forcing it up as well with no luck. I get the feeling it’s an STP thing. After the switch reboots, everything seems good. Any tips?

Craig Curtin

Jun 18, 2017
Forgive me if this has been addressed in this massive thread already…

I’m trying to configure the rear ports as an LACP lag and for some reason when I add the lag primary port to a vlan as a tagged port, one of the ports in the lag goes down and won’t come back up until I reboot the switch. I tried forcing it up as well with no luck. I get the feeling it’s an STP thing. After the switch reboots, everything seems good. Any tips?
Which Switch ? Show us the config so we can see the ports you are using ? Dynamic or static LACP - who/what is on the other end and what are they configured for ? It does sound like STP though

Do you have router firmware or switch firmware on the unit ?

Craig

Craig Curtin

Jun 18, 2017
Also unless you are really into setting up ACLs on the switch and really understanding networking and what you are letting yourself in for - i would not be putting one of these as front facing to the internet without a hefty firewall in front.

Remember this switch code is out of date and is freely available on the internet for hackers to pore over and look for holes etc.

Craig

ramicio

Nov 30, 2022
Could it be a counterfeit NIC? The eBay listing is for a massive quantity of cards, and they've been listed for years. Yet somehow the picture they show has the same MAC address as the card I have. Luck of the draw or what? What do I do?

ramicio

Nov 30, 2022
Okay, I am going to bark up the tree of where I bought the NIC. The YottaMark info just shows that it's a NIC. It has ZERO trace information shown on YottaMark's site. No model number or ANY info, whatsoever. If I go to another auction where they show a picture of it, and enter that into YottaMark, it shows the correct info about it and even the MAC address.

I ordered another NIC. One from an auction where they're only selling one, and it's explicitly said that what is in the picture is what I will get, and the YottaMark checks out.

ramicio

Nov 30, 2022
I must be a complete failure on some level. When I'm under the configuration for a port, just to be curious about setting MTU size, I go to type "ip", and my only options are "ipg" and "ipv6-neighbor". Doing "ip" and space says "unrecognized command." I'm about to just send this thing back and wait until I can afford a bunch of other switches I can stack together to give me all the ports I need.

Craig Curtin

Jun 18, 2017
I must be a complete failure on some level. When I'm under the configuration for a port, just to be curious about setting MTU size, I go to type "ip", and my only options are "ipg" and "ipv6-neighbor". Doing "ip" and space says "unrecognized command." I'm about to just send this thing back and wait until I can afford a bunch of other switches I can stack together to give me all the ports I need.
Have you read the config doco that is linked in the first post - there is a comprehensive doc from the manufacturers on all the options in L3 mode

Craig

Reactions: itronin

ramicio

Nov 30, 2022
Have you read the config doco that is linked in the first post - there is a comprehensive doc from the manufacturers on all the options in L3 mode

Craig
I don't know what this stuff means, so I don't even know what documentation I'm looking for. I'm in over my head, and it would be best to just sell it all.

• Wow
Reactions: itronin

Craig Curtin

Jun 18, 2017
I don't know what this stuff means, so I don't even know what documentation I'm looking for. I'm in over my head, and it would be best to just sell it all.
Well you are dealing with enterprise level gear so there will be a steep learning curve to scale if you have not worked with this type of equipment before - or at least had exposure to similar network gear and concepts.

Craig

Reactions: ramicio