Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tommykmusic

Sep 24, 2022
I got almost everything working and followed the guide. I'm able to login via SSH. The only thing not working, is that the switch doesn't seem to be working as a regular switch and I can't see the switch listed on my router as a device. Maybe there's something I missed but I'm not too sure what to look for to troubleshoot this.

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
It's a mini USB port wired for serial. If you connect it to your computer with a regular USB cable, you'll be lucky if it doesn't burn it out.
What do you mean by regular USB? I was going to buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NH13S44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as I can't put a DB9 connector in my laptop

Do I need to get something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-Cons...ocphy=9050376&hvtargid=pla-570384800065&psc=1

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Neither of those cables will work as-is. The first one assumes that the link between the machines is USB, but in this case it is RS-232. The second one would be a starting point, but the RJ45 connector would need to be removed and replaced with a properly-wired mini-USB-B connector.

Reactions: Damo

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
Neither of those cables will work as-is. The first one assumes that the link between the machines is USB, but in this case it is RS-232. The second one would be a starting point, but the RJ45 connector would need to be removed and replaced with a properly-wired mini-USB-B connector.
Any cheap suggestions on Amazon? connected from my Laptop via USB or RJ45

madmatt71

Sep 18, 2022
No, you need:
USB to serial adapter:

A Cisco console cable:

A donor mini-usb cable, then you need to cut the mini-usb and the cisco console cable and join them using the above mentioned pinout:

Code:
Cisco               Mini-USB
------------to---------------
BLACK                GREEN
GREEN                BLACK
YELLOW               WHITE
There are some USB to cisco rj-45 cables on Amazon that would save you a couple pounds, but there is no guarantee that they will have the same inner cable colors as the original cisco one, so you would need to find out which ones are ground,rx,tx and match them to the donor mini usb cable anyway ....

Edit, just to make sure,

PC->USB to serial->DB9 side of the cisco cable ->joint->mini-usb side of the mini-usb cable

Last edited:

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
Bit pricey with import fees and postage. If I end up getting that https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Fem...ocphy=9050376&hvtargid=pla-1281397864501&th=1 is compatible?

No, you need:
USB to serial adapter:

A Cisco console cable:

A donor mini-usb cable, then you need to cut the mini-usb and the cisco console cable and join them using the above mentioned pinout:

Code:
Cisco               Mini-USB
------------to---------------
BLACK                GREEN
GREEN                BLACK
YELLOW               WHITE
There are some SB to cisco rj-45 cables on Amazon that would save you a couple pounds, but there is no guarantee that they will have the same inner cable colors as the original cisco one, so you would need to find out which ones are ground,rx,tx and match them to the donor mini usb cable anyway ....
I've never cut cables before don't have the tools for it would rather buy something else that's compatible

Balteck

Mar 14, 2018
According on pin-out published on Amazon, neither of these two cables are good.

But you can build one. Buy these 2 cables (for example):

DB9 Cable on Amazon US - DB9 Cable on Amazon UK

USB Cable on Amazon US - USB Cable on Amazon UK

Now, follow these steps:
1) Cut the USB Type A connector (Pic) and you will find inside the cable, 4 little wires: Red, White, Green and Black (Pic)
2) link the white wire of the USB Cable to the blue wire of the DB9 Cable
3) link the green wire of the USB Cable to the brown wire of the DB9 Cable
4) link the black wire of the USB Cable to the yellow wire of the DB9 Cable

That's it! You will have a Brocade Serial-USB Mini console cable.

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
According on pin-out published on Amazon, neither of these two cables are good.

But you can build one. Buy these 2 cables (for example):

DB9 Cable on Amazon

USB Cable on Amazon

Now, follow these steps:
1) Cut the USB Type A connector (Pic) and you will find inside the cable, 4 little wires: Red, White, Green and Black (Pic)
2) link the white wire of the USB Cable to the blue wire of the DB9 Cable
3) link the green wire of the USB Cable to the brown wire of the DB9 Cable
4) link the black wire of the USB Cable to the yellow wire of the DB9 Cable

That's it! You will have a Brocade Serial-USB Mini console cable.
Don't have anything to plug the DB9 into. If you can suggest an adapter to go with it to USB that would help (plug USB into laptop/desktop)

Balteck

Mar 14, 2018
Don't have anything to plug the DB9 into. If you can suggest an adapter to go with it to USB that would help (plug USB into laptop/desktop)
It is not possible to connect the mini USB of ICX to a regular USB port on PC, because the mini USB is not a real USB port.

So, after you build the correct cable, you "speak" with the switch in a old serial way, that's why you have a DB9 connector to the other side.

If your PC/Laptop needs a RS232 serial port, you may buy this one:

RS232/USB Adapter on Amazon UK

and use a program like PUTTY to connect to the switch

Balteck

Mar 14, 2018
Or, You can build a cable with USB/RS232 converter embedded:

USB to Serial FTDI on Amazon UK
USB Cable on Amazon UK

Now, follow these steps:
1) Cut the USB Type A connector of USB Cable (Pic) and you will find inside the cable, 4 little wires: Red, White, Green and Black (Pic)
2) link the white wire of the USB Cable to the orange wire of the FTDI Cable
3) link the green wire of the USB Cable to the yellow wire of the FTDI Cable
4) link the black wire of the USB Cable to the black wire of the FTDI Cable

And connect directly the USB Type-A of FTDI Cable on your PC. You need to install the DRIVERS to get a Virtual COM Port

Last edited:

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
Didn't work @Balteck probably me never cut wires before they where so small.

Right now I will just buy the cable to go with adapter. Will this work?

or should I just get what @fohdeesha suggested

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
It is *possible* that the first cable listed there will work, but the listing does not include any information about pinouts on the DB-9 and USB-Mini-B ends, so it's impossible to know for sure.