Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The part numbers are still available on eBay. The links will be gone once the listing is complete so it won't make any sense to keep on updating them.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
updated guide site to latest fastiron release 8095h (up from 8095g)
I don’t see anything in the release notes that’s particularly compelling (disable ssh… woo). Do you have any insight into the resolved issues?

jcstill

Aug 10, 2021
Southern California
Hi,

I recently got a 7750-48F. It is boot looping printing this:
Not sure what is going on here, any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
Follow the guide linked in the first post to reflash the primary partition and the boot sector from inside the uBoot environment.
When I followed the guide, I would get the following error:
Code:
ICX77xx-Boot> update_uboot
Updating BOOT image over TFTP
Using FM1@DTSEC1 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.2; our IP address is 192.168.2.2; sending through gateway 192.168.2.1
Filename 'ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin'.
Load address: 0x1000000
Loading: #
!!!Error: Not a BROCADE UBOOT file:Header Type 0x215
ICX77xx-Boot>

I found that the latest standalone bootloader for the 7750 is provided with the 8090mc firmware from the ruckus website here. I was able to successfully install that bootloader and the 8090mc firmware on the switch. The filenames are:
8090mc/ICX7750/Boot/swz10118.bin
8090mc/ICX7750/Images/SWR08090mc.bin

If that fails, you most likely have a hardware issue of some sort. I had a 7150 with wonky flash and I had to use the NAND clean and scrub commands to get it to properly load an image.
Unfortunately, this particular switch seems to be having issues and I cant get fastiron to start.

From the bootloader, I was able to install the 8095g firmware.
8095g/ICX7750/Images/SWR08095gufi.bin
This installs a new bootloader (10.1.19T205).

I am able to boot to the linux prompt but am not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas welcomed. I have attached the console output and can provide the coredump if needed.

Attachments

jasonwc

Dec 31, 2018
I have an ICX6610-48p. I'm currently using all SFP+ ports, both 40G QSFP+ ports (40G-LR4 Lite optics work great) and one of the two QSFP+ breakout ports with a QSFP+ to 4 x SFP+ cable. However, I would like to use the other breakout port to add more fiber ports.

Is there any particular reason to go with the Brocade XBR-000232. This Finisar 40Gb FTL410QE2C-G1 QSFP-40G-SR4 is actually cheaper with free shipping ($8). In addition, there appears to be no digital optical monitoring on the QSFP+ ports, the main reason to go with a Brocade transceiver. Anything I'm missing?

Also, will this work for an MPO to 4 x Duplex OM3 LC cable?

I plan to use some OM3 LC-LC adapters to connect to my existing OM3 cables.

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I don't have experience with these parts but I prefer transceivers having pull tabs instead of bail-clasps because you can remove them without disconnecting the patch cords. The form factor for your breakout patch cord should work but I would be weary if the LC ends can't be swapped in case they are A-A vs. A-B. The datasheet doesn't state if they are changable in the field.

But probably can.

Reactions: jasonwc

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
When I followed the guide, I would get the following error:
Code:
ICX77xx-Boot> update_uboot
Updating BOOT image over TFTP
Using FM1@DTSEC1 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.2; our IP address is 192.168.2.2; sending through gateway 192.168.2.1
Filename 'ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin'.
Load address: 0x1000000
Loading: #
!!!Error: Not a BROCADE UBOOT file:Header Type 0x215
ICX77xx-Boot>

I found that the latest standalone bootloader for the 7750 is provided with the 8090mc firmware from the ruckus website here. I was able to successfully install that bootloader and the 8090mc firmware on the switch. The filenames are:
8090mc/ICX7750/Boot/swz10118.bin
8090mc/ICX7750/Images/SWR08090mc.bin

Unfortunately, this particular switch seems to be having issues and I cant get fastiron to start.

From the bootloader, I was able to install the 8095g firmware.
8095g/ICX7750/Images/SWR08095gufi.bin
This installs a new bootloader (10.1.19T205).

I am able to boot to the linux prompt but am not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas welcomed. I have attached the console output and can provide the coredump if needed.
Indeed, you can't flash the icx7150/7250 bootloader to the 7750 :p but looks like you got the files figured out. Sadly from your logs it looks pretty clear it's a hardware failure, it looks like the ASIC is no longer coming up:

Code:
SOC unit 0 attached to PCI device BCM56852_A2
0:soc_trident2_chip_reset: LCPLL 0 not locked on unit 0 status = 0x00000000
ERROR: SOC unit 0 system_init failed
**********  BCM SDK init FAILED  *************

Reactions: jcstill

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have an ICX6610-48p. I'm currently using all SFP+ ports, both 40G QSFP+ ports (40G-LR4 Lite optics work great) and one of the two QSFP+ breakout ports with a QSFP+ to 4 x SFP+ cable. However, I would like to use the other breakout port to add more fiber ports.

Is there any particular reason to go with the Brocade XBR-000232. This Finisar 40Gb FTL410QE2C-G1 QSFP-40G-SR4 is actually cheaper with free shipping ($8). In addition, there appears to be no digital optical monitoring on the QSFP+ ports, the main reason to go with a Brocade transceiver. Anything I'm missing?

Also, will this work for an MPO to 4 x Duplex OM3 LC cable?

I plan to use some OM3 LC-LC adapters to connect to my existing OM3 cables.

yeah that will all work

Reactions: jasonwc

godlike

Sep 12, 2022
Hi!
ICX 6450 here.
Stupid question:
IP address assigned to ve interface becomes unreachable once all Ethernet ports are down in given VLAN (as ve itself becomes down).
Is it possible to alter this behavior and make ve interface always up regardless is something connected to Ethernet ports or not?
Thank you!

Last edited:

jasonwc

Dec 31, 2018
Reactions: Damo

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hi!
ICX 6450 here.
Stupid question:
IP address assigned to ve interface becomes unreachable once all Ethernet ports are down in given VLAN (as ve itself becomes down).
Is it possible to alter this behavior and make ve interface always up regardless is something connected to Ethernet ports or not?
Thank you!
what you are describing is the defined "normal" behavior. If all ports in a vlan are down then where would a ve belonging to that vlan send traffic destined for that vlan?

now... If this switch is connected to another port, say using a trunk and that trunk is always up you *could* assign the vlan in question to that trunk and the ve will stay up.

Not knowing your reasoning for the question I can also offer this (of which you may already be aware): If your need/reason for the ve is to source say routing information, tracerts, pings, or just plain serve as a monitored or management interface then consider creating loopback interface on the switch and either advertising via routing protocol the switche's ip address or statically defining the switches ip address in your core or an upstream switch. From a management/sourcing standpoint loopback is my preferred method.

Reactions: fohdeesha

godlike

Sep 12, 2022
what you are describing is the defined "normal" behavior. If all ports in a vlan are down then where would a ve belonging to that vlan send traffic destined for that vlan?

now... If this switch is connected to another port, say using a trunk and that trunk is always up you *could* assign the vlan in question to that trunk and the ve will stay up.

Not knowing your reasoning for the question I can also offer this (of which you may already be aware): If your need/reason for the ve is to source say routing information, tracerts, pings, or just plain serve as a monitored or management interface then consider creating loopback interface on the switch and either advertising via routing protocol the switche's ip address or statically defining the switches ip address in your core or an upstream switch. From a management/sourcing standpoint loopback is my preferred method.
Thank you for the reply.
My reasoning is exactly as you've described - routing information, tracerts, pings, etc.
Yeah, I know about loopback addresses, however my switch is gateway for mentioned vlans so I need to set ip addresses there (to not enable such things as proxy arp if it is supported at all).

I completely understand that this is normal behavior but I used other hardware which treated virtual interfaces as belonging to device itselfso they we not going down and I found this behavior convenient for me.

Very simple example - let's imagine I have switch without CPE connecting _so far_. I've set up ACL and want ping from one vlan another. Considering I assume the only alive IP in that new Vlan is ip address attached to VE. Now, no ping will not give me understanding - is it mistake in ACL or interface is just down. Slightly inconvenient.

But again, I can live with this :).

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
But again, I can live with this :).
a quick google shows

caveat emptor: I have just skimmed through this 'cause I figured you might be able to throw a port into loopback. Whether that will bring up the VE for a port defined in that vlan or not IDK. I don't have a 6450 so I can't test and only offer the outcome of my curiosity which may help you or may do something completely different that is of no help at all! o_O

Reactions: godlike