Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neobenedict

Oct 2, 2020
Any idea on how to identify?
Anyone with a 25W IDLE ICX6450 willing to share a picture of the PSU?
Ah my bad, 6450s don't have external PSUs. In which case this is less relevant and I'm not sure.

Are you measuring from the wall? It might be different in 120V vs 240V countries due to conversion losses. Or it might only be 25W with DC in and 35W when powered with AC. Otherwise I don't have suggestions.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Are you measuring from the wall? It might be different in 120V vs 240V countries due to conversion losses. Or it might only be 25W with DC in and 35W when powered with AC. Otherwise I don't have suggestions.
Yes, wall Power with two different power measurement devices that report the same number (with +-0.1 difference)

240V 50Hz (good Europe power :) )

The 25W were always reported for AC, and there's another guy in a German forum that has an ICX6450-24P and gets 25W wall power with the same model of power measurement device

klui

Feb 3, 2019
this channel has 300,000 subscribers and he could not google to find this thread or guide before deciding to publish this. kill me
If he hasn't already you'll soon be getting a DM from him about it.

The guy admits he's a full time YTber so maxing out his revenue stream would be in his best interest. I wonder what went wrong with the stacking ports. They don't require any licenses. Most likely the default is configured for stacking and that's why things didn't link up. Or he connected to the wrong ports: two are always broken out, two are not. At 12:44, he shows the 40G is connected to 1/2/1, which is the non-broken out port. Earlier he only mentions break out DAC cables.

I found it strange there were a ton of people who commented about this thread but haven't seen a URL, but didn't go through every comment. When mentioned on Reddit there are URLs everywhere.

Mushishi

Apr 26, 2016
Turku, Finland

The guy admits he's a full time YTber so maxing out his revenue stream would be in his best interest. I wonder what went wrong with the stacking ports. They don't require any licenses. Most likely the default is configured for stacking and that's why things didn't link up. Or he connected to the wrong ports: two are always broken out, two are not. At 12:44, he shows the 40G is connected to 1/2/1, which is the non-broken out port. Earlier he only mentions break out DAC cables.

I found it strange there were a ton of people who commented about this thread but haven't seen a URL, but didn't go through every comment. When mentioned on Reddit there are URLs everywhere.
I could see that he list the nics he use They are HP Infiniband FDR/Ethernet nics could it be that the Mellanox nics ether did not switch to Ethernet or they are flashed with a non ethernet firmware. I know i had some problems with my connectx-2 that they would not always switch to ethernet. But again we dont know because it is the switches fault. And i have to be sure we dont give him idea's for a part 3 about the crappy HP nics he have bought. Heck it could be the QSFP+ cable also we dont know again because it must be the switch.

Reactions: klui

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I could see that he list the nics he use They are HP Infiniband FDR/Ethernet nics could it be that the Mellanox nics ether did not switch to Ethernet or they are flashed with a non ethernet firmware.
That is so true. @itronin is correct. Enterprise stuff and plug and play don't go together. YTber was spoiled by Ubiquiti gear.

Do you really need ethernet FW? I set my ports to ethernet instead of VPI. I have Mellanox- and HP-branded cards. No difference in functionality except Windows device discovery.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Haven't heard from him, but I'm really not interested in getting involved :p (especially seeing the comments and the average....experience of most of his viewers). Indeed I can almost promise the 40G issue was his NICs, in fact I touched on that in the comment I left on the video (however the comment I left is being hidden by youtube, probably for being too long - as soon as I log out I can't see it anymore):

- just a small last note: it looks like the 40gbE NICs you picked up are mellanox ConnectX models (I'm guessing CX3) - these are great NICs, but in my experience almost always come with very outdated firmware, configured in "auto/VPI mode" (which means it will default to trying to run infiniband instead of ethernet half the time), and many times don't come with 40gbE capable firmware (see: mellanox CX3 crossflashing in the main ICX thread post). One or all three of these things are probably why your 40gb link was not coming up, as the ICX does not use licensing for 40gb ports
Regarding the lack of URLs in youtube comments, by default youtube doesn't allow comments with URLs, or depending on channel settings may send them to an approval queue where they have to be manually approved (I think it's up to the channel poster to set this, can't remember)

Someone told me they saw on his livestream today he stated he won't be posting a correction video because he has "moral concerns" with the licenses lmao. I'd be pretty satisfied with that so his audience continues believing they're shit and our ebay inventory doesn't get wrecked even further

Mushishi

Apr 26, 2016
Turku, Finland
cx-3 vpi have the same problem (I flashed all my nics now with the ethernet only firmware to avoid this :D)
Just checked my server and could see it was a Cx-3 i had also and can see i did flash it to Eth only before moving it to my linux server. :D I do remember i had some "fun" days when i just got the card and i tried to get it to work in Windows before i found that it had the dual firmware.

LiamWJBlom

Sep 15, 2022
Hey all,

I have 2 x Brocade 6430-24P switches I bought second-hand. Both seem to boot up correctly but I'm not able to use the console port, using multiple USB-to-Serial adapters, Cisco RJ45 cables. 9600, 8, none, 1, none. Have the serial plugged in while booting up and nothing is displayed?

Would be grateful for any help as I've been pulling out my hair for 3 days!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hey all,

I have 2 x Brocade 6430-29P switches I bought second-hand. Both seem to boot up correctly but I'm not able to use the console port, using multiple USB-to-Serial adapters, Cisco RJ45 cables. 9600, 8, none, 1, none. Have the serial plugged in while booting up and nothing is displayed?

Would be grateful for any help as I've been pulling out my hair for 3 days!
do you have any other serial devices you can plug into for a "sanity test" of your usb adapter/serial terminal/etc setup? You're sure you're plugged into the serial port and not management port right?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The same thing happened to me on another channel. But mine was one sentence with a URL. Owner hearted my comment but when I logged off my comment was gone.

LiamWJBlom

Sep 15, 2022
do you have any other serial devices you can plug into for a "sanity test" of your usb adapter/serial terminal/etc setup? You're sure you're plugged into the serial port and not management port right?
Used the USB-to-serial adapters on my Dell monitor at home and that's working, uses female-to-female DB9 cable though. Have a cisco at the office and will give that try tomorrow. Yeah definitely in the serial (1010) port.

Also, not sure if they had Vlans or were part of a stack but when I plug 2 devices into the production ports no traffic is being forwarded.

Could they have disabled the serial port? Is that even possible?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Someone told me they saw on his livestream today he stated he won't be posting a correction video because he has "moral concerns" with the licenses lmao. I'd be pretty satisfied with that so his audience continues believing they're shit and our ebay inventory doesn't get wrecked even further
Here it is with timestamp @5890 seconds. Without a list of timestamps/chapters that was a chore. ;)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Used the USB-to-serial adapters on my Dell monitor at home and that's working, uses female-to-female DB9 cable though. Have a cisco at the office and will give that try tomorrow. Yeah definitely in the serial (1010) port.

Also, not sure if they had Vlans or were part of a stack but when I plug 2 devices into the production ports no traffic is being forwarded.

Could they have disabled the serial port? Is that even possible?
not possible to disable the serial port, they could have changed/disabled it in the uboot bootloader but then fastiron would still have output when it finishes booting. It's possible to change the baudrate in uboot, I doubt that's the case but worth a try, try fresh booting it with your terminal set to the following (reboot it each time you change): 38400, 57600, 115200

AgentCrimson

Apr 5, 2021
I am very sorry about asking this if this has already been answered, but what optics should I get to break the 40G QSFP+ into 10G? The links that you originally provided appear to have vanished and having never worked with Brocade I am not sure what works fine. Can you please help or update the links on the initial post. Thanks in Advance. Really like the guide :)