Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
That's the bit I didn't get..... Where do I issue the "configure terminal" command? In the boot manager, it's not accepted as a command..... in the OS, only two commands are available.... "enable" which again demands a username/password..... and "show"
............. and I can't get into the GUI for the lack of a user name/password.............
Ah, I think I am starting to understand. You need to type "enable" first, and then "configure terminal", but enable is asking for a password. It looks like you were able to do an update through TFTP earlier, see if "factory set-default" will work for you now. If not, I'm not sure how to delete the password for "enable" to work.

Paul Mew

Dec 31, 2019
Gents, thanks for your ongoing help..... its early morning here in the UK and I'm going to have to bale!

Progress has been made............. I'll be back!

Cheers

Paul

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
Gents, thanks for your ongoing help..... its early morning here in the UK and I'm going to have to bale!

Progress has been made............. I'll be back!

Cheers

Paul
Progress is good! If you can't factory reset let me know, I think I figured out how to remove the password too.

Reactions: Paul Mew

Paul Mew

Dec 31, 2019
All done! It went on rails once able to get the "factory set-default" to run.

Thanks again to all, particularly to Jon/Fohdeesha for the facility and a beer/coffee token is inbound!

Paul

BlackCat

Mar 1, 2017
Israel
Need you help!
Bought ICX6450-48 (non-POE). It have single fan that do not speed down after loading. What I can to do? Return switch is not an option. I prefer to use original fan, as I know that the switch must be not so loud.
Thank you all.

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
Need you help!
Bought ICX6450-48 (non-POE). It have single fan that do not speed down after loading. What I can to do? Return switch is not an option. I prefer to use original fan, as I know that the switch must be not so loud.
Thank you all.
Can you check the firmware version on it? On mine when I run 'show version' it shows SW: Version 08.0.30uT313. Are you running 7.x? When I got mine it was running 7.4 and the fans didn't spin down much. After upgrading to 8.0.3 they spun down after booting and became a lot quieter. Way too loud for a living room, but much quieter than before. My replacement fans should arrive today.

BlackCat

Mar 1, 2017
Israel
Can you check the firmware version on it? On mine when I run 'show version' it shows SW: Version 08.0.30uT313. Are you running 7.x? When I got mine it was running 7.4 and the fans didn't spin down much. After upgrading to 8.0.3 they spun down after booting and became a lot quieter. Way too loud for a living room, but much quieter than before. My replacement fans should arrive today.
Have to find console cable and will post.

BlackCat

Mar 1, 2017
Israel
The switch is running on sw version: 08.0.30uT313.

ICX6450-48>sh ver
Copyright (c) 1996-2016 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
UNIT 1: compiled on Apr 23 2020 at 10:57:06 labeled as ICX64R08030u
(9871112 bytes) from Primary ICX64R08030u.bin
SW: Version
Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.05T310 (kxz10105)
HW: Stackable ICX6450-48

clcorbin

Feb 15, 2014
I've been having a problem with one port (work laptop 1Gb LAN port) since I switched to the ICX 6610 stack. One 6610 is in the hobby room in the computer stack, the other is out in the garage (one switch would have been MORE THAN ENOUGH ports, but about half my network drops led to the hobby room (stuff I've added) and half to the garage (original drops)) linked by dual 40GB fiber on x/2/1 and x/2/6 stacking ports.

One port from the garage switch on vlan 50 comes back to my hobby room (again, existing cabling in the right place) and goes to a basic, unmanaged Netgear GS108 switch. My work laptop and my personal laptop are connected to it.

The personal laptop (Windows 10 Pro on my AD domain) has worked flawlessly. But the work laptop is being a bit of a pain. It will disconnect the LAN from the network at (what appears to be) random times and then reconnect like nothing happened a few HOURS later. I've seen it happen two or three times in a day. There IS a physical connection during this time, but it gets the default ip address and has no connectivity to anything. But it DOES know there is a cable connected to SOMETHING out there.

Every single time it has happened, I've checked my personal laptop and it is connected just fine. I've checked (and then swapped) the cable with no change. Once, I saw a message on the network adapter show it had failed authentication. Which is a bit strange, as I don't have 802.1x setup on my network.

Using the same network (other than the switches), I never saw this problem in the 1 1/2 years I've had this laptop at my house on my network.

Also, the WiFi (from an Aruba IAP-305 connected to the server rack switch) has remained flawless as well. Same computer, but it IS brought into a different VLAN while connected to WiFi.

Any suggestions on what to look at would be greatly appreciated!

Clint
I did find the root cause of these problem: The patch cable going from the wall plate to the 6610 in the garage and the GS108 switch in my hobby room was bad. I know I tested it after I originally made it (I do NOT trust myself to make a perfect patch cable without testing to prove it!). I have to assume my personal laptop was just more tolerant of dropped frames than my work laptop.

Either way, when I retested that cable and it failed, I replaced it with one that passed the tester and the disconnect issue on my work laptop disappeared and has not come back in over a month.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
The switch is running on sw version: 08.0.30uT313.
Bummer, I had hoped you had the same issue I did, which was running the 7.x version of the firmware. My fans ran at high speed until I updated to 8.0.3, and then they spun down to a slower speed and were a lot quieter. I don't know if there is a way to adjust those, other than replacing the fans with quieter ones.

BlackCat

Mar 1, 2017
Israel
Bummer, I had hoped you had the same issue I did, which was running the 7.x version of the firmware. My fans ran at high speed until I updated to 8.0.3, and then they spun down to a slower speed and were a lot quieter. I don't know if there is a way to adjust those, other than replacing the fans with quieter ones.
Totally agreed with you.
Already placed order on replacement Sunon fans - first 1.4w and second 3.8w. Will test them for optimal results.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Two potentially silly questions about my new to me Brocade 6610 (non-POE).

1. Can the 250W rev A power supply be replaced by a 1000w rev b/c power supply for any less noise?

2. Down the road would it ever be possible to add the POE module? Not sure what all is different between the two. Just in case I started running POE cameras. If not, my 6540 will do just fine there.

Thanks

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
2. Down the road would it ever be possible to add the POE module? Not sure what all is different between the two. Just in case I started running POE cameras. If not, my 6540 will do just fine there
I believe this was discussed earlier in this thread and it turned out that the PoE and non-PoE versions use different components and the non-PoE boards miss some headers

Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
I believe this was discussed earlier in this thread and it turned out that the PoE and non-PoE versions use different components and the non-PoE boards miss some headers
Appreciate it, I tried searching this thread but didn't come up with an answer to that or the other question. Either way I figure it's a good switch for a great deal, especially since I plan on doing more 10GB.

Kartoff

Feb 17, 2017
Hello, I found some ICX7750 and thinking about to buy some... They look pretty good with 48x SFP+ and 6x QSFP instead of usually 4x :)
I have some VDX switches but no ICX so I have no experience with them... Will be nice to hear some impressions. Are they SFP capricious ? As I know ICX does not have locked ports right ? What is the normal power draw ?
BTW I already managed to download firmware from Ruckus site :)
Also I hope they can manage to handle like 7 Gbit multicast without problems... I am not so familiar with multicast and what I know from network admins who deal with it, not every switch is suitable for this purpose :)
Last but not least, what price to chase ?

Thank you :)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Version 5.2 of tftpd-hpa (appears to be the current version for Ubuntu LTS 20.04, and potentially others) does not like having directory names with spaces in them, even when they are properly enclosed in quotes. It treats a directory with spaces in it as being 2 (or more) directories, and then throws an error. This is because it's just piping the Directory variable through a "wc -w" command, which is dumb, but whatever. Easily fixed. I removed the space in the "TFTP Content" directory and presto-magico everything works.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this massive thread! Getting my 7250-24p up and running now.
thanks for the heads up, fixed: remove spaces from tftp dir name · Fohdeesha/lab-docu@2d24adc

Reactions: NablaSquaredG