Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I just got ICX 7250. Following fohdeesha's guide works perfectly except the SPR08090mc.bin from download page can NOT be flashed to primary. Downloaded 8080f and works fine. In case anyone having the same issue.

Instead doing:
Bash:
#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin
I did
Bash:
#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08080f.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10114.bin
did you first flash the newer bootloader, then reset, *then* flash 8090mc? It will work fine if you do so (as the guide says)

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
Thanks foheesha as always.

I did followed your guide step by step. I did Page Brocade Overview ---> Brocade Setup --> ICX7250 / ICX7450. And the first step on the page is the command I put in my post. I am not sure about "flash newer bootloader". But I just double checked there is no other step before. But if I am not using 8090 instead 8080 it works and I could boot into primary after then flash the latest 8095.

Preparation
If you haven't already, visit the Brocade Overview page to download the latest guide package and get it ready to be served via TFTP - this unified package includes all the latest firmware, licenses, and documentation.

Connect to the serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1), then connect the management ethernet port to your network (do NOT use any of the regular switch ports yet). The management port is the one above the full size USB port.

Power on the switch while watching your serial terminal - start smashing the b key until you're dropped into the bootloader prompt, which looks like ICX7xxx-Boot> . If you missed the prompt and it boots the OS instead, pull power and try again.

Now at the boot prompt, give the bootloader a temporary IP on your network, as well as supply the IP of your TFTP server where it can find your files. Replace the example IPs with your own. This IP is only going to be used temporarily by the bootloader. We'll also tell it the filename & path of the firmware images:

#Temp IP address of the switch: setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50 setenv netmask 255.255.255.0 #IP of your TFTP server: setenv serverip 192.168.1.8 setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks foheesha as always.

I did followed your guide step by step. I did Page Brocade Overview ---> Brocade Setup --> ICX7250 / ICX7450. And the first step on the page is the command I put in my post. I am not sure about "flash newer bootloader". But I just double checked there is no other step before. But if I am not using 8090 instead 8080 it works and I could boot into primary after then flash the latest 8095.
Those are just the setenv commands that saves the name of the images, so the bootloader knows what image names to use later when you run the actual update commands. They don't do anything themselves. After that, there's the update_uboot command, then a reset command so the new bootloader takes effect: (excuse the mobile screenshot)

Attachments

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
Yes, I did all those steps as well. But it failed when I used 8090. So instead doing 8090 ---> 8095, I did 8080 --> 8095. I follow the guide by using 8090 2 times all failed. So I decided to try 8080.

AllenB

Oct 16, 2018
Evanston, IL
I also just got an ICX7250-48p and ran into a little glitch after following the upgrade instructions. Mine failed to boot the SPR08090mc.bin primary image and instead failed back to the secondary with 08030.

Turns out this was because the second reset reverted back to the original uboot image. It seems there are two uboot partitions as well. I was updating the second one. The first "reset" brought it up as expected, but the second reset (after the update_primary) was reverting back to the other uboot image.

Cure for this, found in the "Ruckus FastIron 08.0.80 Software Upgrade Guide" page 29, is to repeat the "update_uboot" command after the first reset or powercycle. Sure enough, that one will report "Loading image to Uboot Partition 1".

After that I was able to proceed into the 08090mc image, log in with default credentials, observe the PoE firmware update, and so forth.

@fohdeesha, this is probably worth a quick tweak to the setup process. And of course, thanks a million for putting together so much great info!

Allen

Reactions: 63z5mgng

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
I also just got an ICX7250-48p and ran into a little glitch after following the upgrade instructions. Mine failed to boot the SPR08090mc.bin primary image and instead failed back to the secondary with 08030.

Turns out this was because the second reset reverted back to the original uboot image. It seems there are two uboot partitions as well. I was updating the second one. The first "reset" brought it up as expected, but the second reset (after the update_primary) was reverting back to the other uboot image.

Cure for this, found in the "Ruckus FastIron 08.0.80 Software Upgrade Guide" page 29, is to repeat the "update_uboot" command after the first reset or powercycle. Sure enough, that one will report "Loading image to Uboot Partition 1".

Allen

I didn't check that. Great catch.

Reactions: AllenB

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Tried to stack up two 7150 with 15+m rj45 and fs and mt SFP+ modules, didn't want to come up at all. When I was planning this house I didn't know what SFP is yet. Seems like I'll have to get creative and pull fiber either through very narrow pipe used for air ventilation or just upstairs directly.

Phlesh

Sep 11, 2021
I just picked up a 6610-48P after thorough research and a huge help from multiple folks in this community. Really appreciate this information and the detailed guides!

I followed @fohdeesha instructions all the way up to the point where I've disconnected the management network and plugged in one of the front network ports. What's weird is that, so far, I can't get the switch to connect to my network in any way.

What's the best guide for doing diagnostic network commands on the switch itself to try to figure out the issue? I found that I can do "show ip address" to see that the static IP is set correctly, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Last edited:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Output of "sh int br" and "sh run" would help. You can post them here in code tags wrapped in spoiler tags to make them collapse.
Off hand, subnet mismatch, VLAN tag vs untag issue (or port not part of the VLAN that has the VE with assigned IP), no default route, or a port in ERR-DISABLE state come to mind.

S!rius

Aug 26, 2021
Hello together

I've been trying to access my 7250 via console for 2 days now and I'm getting desperate. I have a Cisco DB9 cable which I have converted according to the following instructions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Brocade/comments/b71xtq
Unfortunately the putty session does not respond. After that I found this article and tried it too, without success.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Brocade/comments/k25l5u
I also searched the internet for the original Brocade cable, but it is not available anywhere.

Should I assume that the 7250 mini-usb port is broken?

What else can I try?

cisco.jpg

Last edited:

juju

Sep 29, 2021
I am trying to setup my 7250 with pfsense as bgp router for kubernetes. Can't get bgp to work on pfsense. Connected to the pfsense via a layer 3 transit. Anyone has any pointers on how to set this up? Is this a route distribution issue? Do I need to do anything on the 7250 to allow bgp traffic?

AllenB

Oct 16, 2018
Evanston, IL
Hello together

I've been trying to access my 7250 via console for 2 days now and I'm getting desperate. I have a Cisco DB9 cable which I have converted according to the following instructions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Brocade/comments/b71xtq
Unfortunately the putty session does not respond. After that I found this article and tried it too, without success.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Brocade/comments/k25l5u
I also searched the internet for the original Brocade cable, but it is not available anywhere.

Should I assume that the 7250 mini-usb port is broken?

What else can I try?

View attachment 20548
Hi S!rius,

I had to make the same sort of cable for mine, and can perhaps shed some light. First off, unless your Cisco cable uses different colors than mine, those are not the right pins. Here's the mapping I've used (successfully):

Green (Cisco) -> White (USB)
Yellow (Cisco) -> Blue (USB) (orange on the Cisco end should also work; both are grounds)
Red (Cisco) -> Green (USB)

Edit: My USB wire colors were different than what I found online and may be different than yours, so you might want to ignore this part of mine.

The important thing is that on the Cisco side, the middle two wires (pins 4 & 5) are ground. Then to each side of those (pins 3 and 6) are transmit and receive. Not sure offhand which is which, but on my cable they are green and red.

You can test your Putty setup by temporarily connecting pins 3 and 6 of the Cisco cable (ignoring the USB side). With that in place, anything you type in Putty should come right back and display on the screen.

If that doesn't work, you've got a problem on the Putty/serial port/Cisco cable side. If it does work, it's probably just a matter of getting the correct wires connected to the USB cable.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
Allen

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Might be a stupid question. How do you reset PoE without scripting all the ssh login, config terminal, interface e .... and inline power, no inline power in expect script?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
What's your expectation of how it should work?
If that's at me, I expected there is some kind of non-interactive shortcut command for that.
Suppose PoE camera is unresponsive and needs hard reset, I thought I can easily call that in ssh from a monitoring script without much pain.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
It's already non-interactive. Issue the command and you're done. I don't understand.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Oh, my bad. I read about batch buffer and stuff but that's totally useless.
In fact I figured out you can simply feed your batch right into ssh stdin and that would do the trick.
So something like printf 'enable\nconf t\ninterface e 2/1/2\nno inline power\ninline power' | ssh switch would do the trick. No need for anything else. I couldn't figure this out at first because no ; or && supported in shell.

juju

Sep 29, 2021
When I drop this to a 6450, I've decided to just do router-on-a-stick with a Mikrotik RB4011, which on its single SFP+ port can route 10gb/s on that one port (I've tested it) and supports BGP. I'll then have it redistribute the routes via OSPF to the rest of the network, which the 6450 will manage. All of my nodes have a separate interface to my storage VLAN, so that won't hit the Mikrotik, so the Mikrotik will really only be routing traffic that enters/leaves the cluster...and 10gb/s should be plenty enough for this for me.
@CED6688 - I am trying to do this on a 7250 and have no idea how to set it up. I have pfsense running frr bgp and a kubernetes cluster that cant reach it via metallb. Any pointers how to set this up?