Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Nice. That's about $30 cheaper than the Fiber cables I was looking at. And because I messed up already... I can use these as stack links or uplinks correct?
yes. I have some shorter ones (2m) that I used to stack (till my spare 6610's got flakey) and now use as host interconnects to a TNC filer.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Nice. That's about $30 cheaper than the Fiber cables I was looking at. And because I messed up already... I can use these as stack links or uplinks correct?
btw, I did not search or look very hard. There may be some cheaper ones on the bay as well. Simply a quick check that met your criteria.

daboxx

Nov 3, 2021
yes. I have some shorter ones (2m) that I used to stack (till my spare 6610's got flakey) and now use as host interconnects to a TNC filer.
Thankyou. I added them to my watch list. I appreciate the quick response and follow up!

dos

Oct 13, 2021
first, im sure there is an answer posted already some where but having a heck of a time finding it or generating a search for what im trying to find. doing my due dilagents i've combed through the forum and get the impression its possible but can't seem to find a specific answer or method? that said, my outlet temp is kicking into fan speed 2 by 1 degree. how does one go about changing the fan threshold to increase the temp the second speed kicks in? again, sorry to just ask directly but i've searching for a while and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. feel free to post a link rather than explaining if it is possible.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Does 'permit' support logging for extended ACL rules, or it can only be applied to 'deny'?

Code:
Warning - permit log is no action.
I would like to be able to log permitted matches too, in some cases.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
first, im sure there is an answer posted already some where but having a heck of a time finding it or generating a search for what im trying to find. doing my due dilagents i've combed through the forum and get the impression its possible but can't seem to find a specific answer or method? that said, my outlet temp is kicking into fan speed 2 by 1 degree. how does one go about changing the fan threshold to increase the temp the second speed kicks in? again, sorry to just ask directly but i've searching for a while and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. feel free to post a link rather than explaining if it is possible.
What is the room temperature and load of the switch? There have been reports of the heatsinks popping off the ASICs and causing hell with temps until resecured.

Does 'permit' support logging for extended ACL rules, or it can only be applied to 'deny'?

Code:
Warning - permit log is no action.
I would like to be able to log permitted matches too, in some cases.
Unfortunately you can not log permit actions.

metalpizza123

Nov 2, 2021
Hi hi,

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong and now I'm just confused as to what's happening. As dos said, the 64xx series boots slower, but I somehow am unable to reach the bootloader. The switch is booting and functional, and I can see it on my network as an ethernet connected device(even when it's only on the management ethernet port). I can even navigate to the IP and reach the login page, but I am just so confused as to what I'm doing wrong with the serial cable. I'm still not getting output on PuTTy with the cisco console cable.

1636057289108.png

metalpizza123

Nov 2, 2021
Hi hi,

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong and now I'm just confused as to what's happening. As dos said, the 64xx series boots slower, but I somehow am unable to reach the bootloader. The switch is booting and functional, and I can see it on my network as an ethernet connected device(even when it's only on the management ethernet port). I can even navigate to the IP and reach the login page, but I am just so confused as to what I'm doing wrong with the serial cable. I'm still not getting output on PuTTy with the cisco console cable.

View attachment 20350

Ah frick the pinouts are different. But that explains even less about how I managed to get ANY output the first time round. 1636061598571.png

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Ah frick the pinouts are different. But that explains even less about how I managed to get ANY output the first time round. View attachment 20351
those are matching pinouts. transmit to recieve and vice versa. they're standard cisco style rj45 serial ports and will work with any of those adapters, if you're not getting output it usually turns out to be a driver issue under windows with all the ftdi's and related knockoffs. sometimes a reboot after the driver installs helps

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
those are matching pinouts. transmit to recieve and vice versa. they're standard cisco style rj45 serial ports and will work with any of those adapters, if you're not getting output it usually turns out to be a driver issue under windows with all the ftdi's and related knockoffs. sometimes a reboot after the driver installs helps
Might want to try booting the ubuntu (pick your linux poison) live CD to see if that terminal works.

dos

Oct 13, 2021
Hi hi,

View attachment 20350
it might be possible whomever had the switch last changed the default baud rate to something other than 9600. can you see the boot process kick off at all with the serial cable or do you see nothing? as others said its possible that cable is toast. as long as you are using like a ft232r there shouldn't been any drivers required to install for any os. i have piles of these cables of all different types (db9, rj45, etc) and they all work. do you have another device like a cisco or some server to test? i even have some connected to my esxi servers as an additional last resort connection method for headless servers, so they are pretty versatile and should be easy to confirm functionality.

Last edited:

metalpizza123

Nov 2, 2021
it might be possible whomever had the switch last changed the default baud rate to something other than 9600. can you see the boot process kick off at all with the serial cable or do you see nothing? as others said its possible that cable is toast. as long as you are using like a ft232r there shouldn't been any drivers required to install for any os. i have piles of these cables of all different types (rs232, rj45, etc) and they all work. do you have another device like a cisco or some server to test? i even have some connected to my esxi servers as an additional last resort connection method for headless servers, so they are pretty versatile and should be easy to confirm functionality.
Hi hi quick question on whether I've just a defective unit or I'm missing something in the setup guide. I'm trying to setup the 6430-48P.

Following Fohdeesha's guide, I have the master zip downloaded and I had PuTTy set up to connect to the switch. I have a USB to serial adapter cable hooked up to the serial port, and a standard Cat 6 ethernet cable to the existing router. After booting several times with the PuTTy settings in the guide (I turned off Flow control), the output in the image showed up. After waiting several minutes, It briefly flashed some messages about loading PoE and restarted. However, since then I haven't been able to get any serial output, and can't set the values to the factory default. I've tried using the reset button on the front of the switch but to no avail. Mashing or holding the B button doesn't seem to be able to stop the bootloader, though with no output I have no clue whether it's even loading anything.

Essentially I'm just wondering if it's borked. It starts up and has a period of high fan load before slowing down, so the behaviour seems to be the same as before. The cable I'm using is a FTDI cable and I've installed their drivers for it.

Many thanks in advance.
I had some serial output to PuTTy's console, then when I rebooted no more serial output. I've tried Windows 7,10, Arch and Debian. I rebooted after installing the FTDI drivers, and tried uninstalling them too. Like this is what's so frustrating. How did I get output once, then never reach the bootloader again with the same settings? I feel mucho dumb dumb, like I'm missing something super simple.

Unfortunately, no, I don't have any other managed switches. The only one i have is an unmanaged TP link one.

dos

Oct 13, 2021
Im not 100% sure but:

conf t
ip access-list 22 deny 192.168.10.0/24 log
ssh access-group 22
wr mem

or

conf t
int ve 10
ip access-list 22 deny ve 10
ssh access-group 22
wr mem

or

conf t
no ip ssh client 192.168.10.0/24

Im a little hesitant to try it & lose ssh but figured I would ask here first - thanks!
i haven't had a whole bunch of time to dig into the switch config yet, but just a quick poke looks like allow ssh only on the management vrf which is probably how they indented to restrict access. in addition there is an "ip ssh client" configuration that you can specifiy specific client ips that are allowed.

dos

Oct 13, 2021
I had some serial output to PuTTy's console, then when I rebooted no more serial output. I've tried Windows 7,10, Arch and Debian. I rebooted after installing the FTDI drivers, and tried uninstalling them too. Like this is what's so frustrating. How did I get output once, then never reach the bootloader again with the same settings? I feel mucho dumb dumb, like I'm missing something super simple.

Unfortunately, no, I don't have any other managed switches. The only one i have is an unmanaged TP link one.
try a different cable. you might be spinning your wheels unnecessarily. i can promise you, that's how all of us ended up with so many of these cables over the years. that and aquiring extra from manufactures directly.

metalpizza123

Nov 2, 2021
try a different cable. you might be spinning your wheels unnecessarily. i can promise you, that's how all of us ended up with so many of these cables over the years. that and aquiring extra from manufactures directly.
Yes sir I've another cable arriving tomorrow so hopefully that fixes things.

juju

Sep 29, 2021
I am having some problems with dns for connected clients on my 7250.

I have a vlan 50 with a ve interface address of 10.1.50.1/24. I am connected to my pfsense box with a transit port - 10.1.2.2/30 on the switch and 10.1.2.1/30 on pfsense. I have set the following :

Code:
ip dns server-address 10.1.2.1  # pfsense transit ip
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.1.2.1 

# ip helper for vlan 50
ip helper-address 1 10.0.0.41
I connected my laptop to port 23 on the switch which is untagged 1/1/23 for vlan 50. The problem is, the laptop is assigned a dns server of 10.1.50.1 and there is no internet connectivity. If I manually set the dns server of the laptops connection to 10.1.2.1, everything works. I thought setting the dns server globally to 10.1.2.1 should have worked? How can I set all connected clients to have a dns server of 10.1.2.1 instead of 10.1.50.1 ?

dos

Oct 13, 2021
I am having some problems with dns for connected clients on my 7250.

I have a vlan 50 with a ve interface address of 10.1.50.1/24. I am connected to my pfsense box with a transit port - 10.1.2.2/30 on the switch and 10.1.2.1/30 on pfsense. I have set the following :

Code:
ip dns server-address 10.1.2.1  # pfsense transit ip
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.1.2.1

# ip helper for vlan 50
ip helper-address 1 10.0.0.41
I connected my laptop to port 23 on the switch which is untagged 1/1/23 for vlan 50. The problem is, the laptop is assigned a dns server of 10.1.50.1 and there is no internet connectivity. If I manually set the dns server of the laptops connection to 10.1.2.1, everything works. I thought setting the dns server globally to 10.1.2.1 should have worked? How can I set all connected clients to have a dns server of 10.1.2.1 instead of 10.1.50.1 ?
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is the dns server setting for the switch itself and has nothing to do with the ip address being advertised to your dhcp clients. i haven't really had much time to actually get to work with these switches since im ready to rip my hair out on how loud these damn things are despite fan swaps. in any case if this were any other brand switch then my previous comments would be correct and these appear to follow similar configuration parameters and can say that is the case here. where does your dhcp come from? set that value there and you will fix your issue.

edit:
this should be what you're after assuming the switch is your dhcp server.

Code:
ip dhcp-server pool YOUR-DHCP-POOL-NAME
  dns-server 10.1.2.1

Last edited:

juju

Sep 29, 2021
where does your dhcp come from? set that value there and you will fix your issue.
This did it for me. I was using isc-dhcp in a vm for dhcp. changing the dns option there solved my problem. I am using the dns server on pfsense now. However, I'd like to explore BIND9. I am planning to install bind9 in the same vm as the dhcp server. Can I set that as the primary dns server and the pfsense ip as the secondary without any issues?

dos

Oct 13, 2021
This did it for me. I was using isc-dhcp in a vm for dhcp. changing the dns option there solved my problem. I am using the dns server on pfsense now. However, I'd like to explore BIND9. I am planning to install bind9 in the same vm as the dhcp server. Can I set that as the primary dns server and the pfsense ip as the secondary without any issues?
yes. but keep in mind depending on the client, dns lookups are not sent to both servers. the first server is tried and as long as the server responds even if with an nxdomain that response will satisfy the request. only if the client doesn't get any response and the query timesout will the client query the second server. this is the behavior in windows. if you need requests to go to different servers based on the client request you need a dns server in the middle that can do conditional forwarding or recursive lookups. however, that is a bit off topic and pretty beyond the scope of this thread.

juju

Sep 29, 2021
So I am beginning to get my head around ACLs. Below is a snapshot of my pfsense rules for my dmz zone. I am going to shut down the dmz setup on pfsense and move it into the 7250 switch as a layer 3 subnet. So how do I setup the acls to replicate the following:
  1. block dmz access to pfsense admin ports and the management network on the switch
  2. block dmz access to all local subnets
  3. allow exit to the internet
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.08.47 PM.png

In acls for other subnets on the switch, I intend to create specific rules to allow access to some clients in the dmz. Also, is there an equivalent of pfsense aliases in icx switches - like I have in the screenshot above for "admin ports"?