Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
You really don't have to solder this I did it with a keystone jack (home depot if necessary) and I didn't even punch the cables in. I literally just punched them in with a small piece of plastic. A junk USB mini cable to sacrifice and a keystone. Super simple you'll be amazed.
thank you , may be PM for what you did? I have spare USB mini cables, have keystone , and punch tool (i did my own cat5/6 when did wiring for my house). I ordered the cable from ebay as backup option, however it would not be here for 4-6 days and am willing to try the homemade option

trying to understand end to now how it would work
a) usb mini cable, cut it to expose wires
b) punch it down to RJ45 keystone jack as described here ( DIY Mini-USB Serial Dongle | ServeTheHome Forums )
c) connect the usb mini into 7250 and connect what to do RJ45 jack just created? a standard cisco serial cable?

thank you!

Feb 19, 2021
thank you , may be PM for what you did? I have spare USB mini cables, have keystone , and punch tool (i did my own cat5/6 when did wiring for my house). I ordered the cable from ebay as backup option, however it would not be here for 4-6 days and am willing to try the homemade option

trying to understand end to now how it would work
a) usb mini cable, cut it to expose wires
b) punch it down to RJ45 keystone jack as described here ( DIY Mini-USB Serial Dongle | ServeTheHome Forums )
c) connect the usb mini into 7250 and connect what to do RJ45 jack just created? a standard cisco serial cable?

thank you!
When I spliced my USB it had red green white and black.

Using t568b coloring on the jack

USB. Keystone

White is Green
Green is green/white
Black is blue
Red is ignored

Hop in putty, securecrt or whatever you prefer. Just remember 9600, N ,8, 1

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago

USB. Keystone

White is Green
Green is green/white
Black is blue
Red is ignored

Thank you. Once created what cable are you connecting to the keystone?

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
Another thing I didn't consider on this switch is power consumption. I thought I read it was 130w, I see you have it at 110w. My high tier (should be tears) rate here in Marin county, home of the hot tubbers, is $.36 kw/h. So at 110w it looks like it will cost me $29 per month, minus my two 16 port netgear Gige switches I'm replacing. They said this 6610 only has one fan and PS. Seems like a lot of power considering my server, with external storage cage and Tandberg LTO tape loader is only 360w.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer back to page 1, I read through it all, switch should be here next week.

This is a great site, wish I had found it a while back. I've been using an HP DL380 for my server, pooling all my disk on it using ZFS. My wife loves all the videos, movies, etc I put up using miniDLNA. The 10Gb connections really made the difference after I bought two dual socket dell servers for workstations. Those things heat the rooms and don't seem to have suspend mode so I have to shut them off at night. I bought one of the Sonnet thunderbolt 10Gb adapters for my mac mini M1. That is a really fast setup. I'll be sending the microtik back.

Now, on to 40Gb.

Jerry

Reactions: fohdeesha

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
so, from what I remember digging through the scripts in the ruckus unleashed AP firmware, the ICX "integration" is just a bunch of "expect" bash scripts. I specifically recall they expect to be able to ssh to the switch IP with the credentials you provide, and then blindly "enable" and "conf t" from there. so if you have an "enable" authentication line in your switch config that makes users log in again when they issue "enable", it'll barf. check your icx config and make sure you don't have a:
Code:
aaa authentication enable default local
the v9000 thing is another issue, the initial GA release of 9000 didn't have support if I remember right, 9000a should though. And if your switch is succesfully added in the unleashed UI, it will automatically create the snmp entries and other required things in your switch config so those "shouldn't" need to be done manually. here's the master script from Unleashed 200.9, ICX stuff starts around line 5240
Looks like that did the trick, thanks!

Two important notes for folks looking to do this: it *does* silently change your config, specifically the SNMP community RO string and adding a UDP logging host:

Oct 16 17:23:21:I:COPY COMPLETED
Oct 16 17:23:21:I:Security: startup-config was changed by XXXX from ssh client XXXX
Oct 16 17:23:21:I:COPY_CONFIGURATION_TO_FLASH
Oct 16 17:23:14:I:SNMP: read-only community added by XXXX from ssh session.
Oct 16 17:23:14:I:SNMP: read-only community deleted by XXXX from ssh session.
Oct 16 17:23:02:I:System: Syslog server [ruckus_unleashed_ip] added by XXXX from ssh session.
Oct 16 17:22:52:I:Security: SSH login by XXXX from src IP XXXX from src MAC XXXX to PRIVILEGED EXEC mode using RSA as Server Host Key.
Oct 16 17:22:49:I:Security: SSH login by XXXX from src IP XXXX from src MAC XXXX to USER EXEC mode using RSA as Server Host Key.

Off to see what new trouble I can get into with this. Thanks again @fohdeesha!

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago

USB. Keystone

White is Green
Green is green/white
Black is blue
Red is ignored

So I made the cable myself and was greeted with console from the switch - dead simple thank you to instructions above. Strip USB cable, connect 3 wires , use punch it tool , plug in console cable into the jack you created..

Last edited:

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
i have upgraded my C12P to SPR09000ufi. It takes a while to startup after reload. i did check terminal and i get these errors:

Creating TUN device
Creating the first Tap interface
ERROR: Failure in gw add
Starting TPM Infra
Group tss and User tss created
hostname set to Ruckus-ICX
could not read config file /etc/radsecproxy.conf
No such file or directory
Starting TCSD Daemon in 'fi' namespace

Any ideas how to fix this?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
i have upgraded my C12P to SPR09000ufi. It takes a while to startup after reload. i did check terminal and i get these errors:

Creating TUN device
Starting TPM Infra

Don't run beta firmware

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019

Creating TUN device
Starting TPM Infra

You will need to go back to 8.0.95 for most of that to go away. It’s what recommended by ruckus (and more importantly @fohdeesha :)). Otherwise disregard those boot messages and things will likely work fine, at least they have for me on the icx7150 I’m trialing 9000 on. If sticking with 9000 upgrade to 9000a as it does fix some issues, but most of those boot up messages on the console will persist.

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
Thank you guys. Did not thought it is so early beta.
I will stick with 9000 series though.

Last edited:

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
For the 4x10 port on the back of the icx6610, I understand how the DAC cable works. I then read how you can use a QSFP and MPO cable to a patch panel. But the linked patch panel is 24 ports. Does it have some signal splitting in it? The MPO Is carrying 4 logical 16Gb down clocked to 10Gb. Does the panel then split them out? I saw how the linked patch patch panel has 4 ports on the back. Is it expecting 6 links on these ports? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

I can't believe how cheap and fast this stuff is. My mac mini M1 with the Sonnet 10Gb link displaying sheet music from a 24 core server using SAS SSD raid threw me off because the pages turned so fast I didnt realize they changed.

Thanks

Jerry

dos

Oct 13, 2021
was hoping someone could chime in on the 6610 4x10 breakout ports on that back. does anyone know if they can be used as a single 40gb port without needing to be a breakout?

Feb 19, 2021
To be honest this is probably because you haven't read through the thread. Its in here numerous times sir. The what's possible and how to do it is in this thread. There's a search function if you want faster responses to pre-answered questions.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
To be honest this is probably because you haven't read through the thread. Its in here numerous times sir. The what's possible and how to do it is in this thread. There's a search function if you want faster responses to pre-answered questions.
You're not wrong, but it also doesn't hurt to give a direct answer anyway.

was hoping someone could chime in on the 6610 4x10 breakout ports on that back. does anyone know if they can be used as a single 40gb port without needing to be a breakout?
No.

dos

Oct 13, 2021
keep in mind there are over 300+ pages to go through. shortly after i posted that i did find an answer. however i'm not sure if that's based on actual first hand experience or just "well the doc says so...". typically anything that is a 40gb "bundle" usually defaults as 40gb and then gets configured as a 4x10gb links. thanks for the reply non the less. i'm still digging through the thread but loads of useful info to say the least.

dos

Oct 13, 2021
You're not wrong, but it also doesn't hurt to give a direct answer anyway.

No.
thanks for that.
for the record i also agree it's important to go through information available to you and learn as much as you can, but at the same time the whole point of information like this is to make it available to others to prevent them from having to unnecessarily reinvent the wheel.
that said, definitely appreciate the hard work and info from everyone.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
updated the intermediate fastiron image used for getting the icx7xxx series up to UFI images from 8090m to 8090mc (8090m had a defect according to ruckus, and was pulled and replaced by 8090mc) - the defect only affected the layer2 image which the guide does not use, and on top of that the guide only uses this image as a stepping stone to 8095, but I went ahead and updated it anyway for completeness update intermediate version from 8090m to 8090mc · Fohdeesha/lab-docu@6656f3d

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
For 6450 switches, ACL sequence numbers aren't supported (seems that requires >8.0.60), what is the best way to add new entries to an ACL in that case?