Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pktrab

May 8, 2021
This is probably a stupid question, but will the ICX6450 do BGP v4 & v6, and sustain a full table?

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015
Yep, use a spare VLAN without a router interface defined on it, use it as the native/untagged VLAN (if your ethernet handoff doesn't require a tagged VLAN, I don't know the details of the FiOS offer) on a port connected to the ISP and as a tagged VLAN on the router-on-a-stick ;)
thats exactly what I did. It worked when I used my local network to pull an IP. But won’t pull from Verizon when I connect it directly to that port on the same vlan. I’ll have to see if VZ is still binding to specific Mac addresses. I used to have to force the MAC address to be the same as whatever initially pulled an IP. I’m also not sure if that will translate across the vlan. (Will VZ see the Mac of the switch port or the machine trying to pull that IP it’s why I wanted to bridge two ports. )

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015
I should probably note that I am also using sr-iov and setup 5 VFs per 10G nic interface.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
thats exactly what I did. It worked when I used my local network to pull an IP. But won’t pull from Verizon when I connect it directly to that port on the same vlan. I’ll have to see if VZ is still binding to specific Mac addresses. I used to have to force the MAC address to be the same as whatever initially pulled an IP. I’m also not sure if that will translate across the vlan. (Will VZ see the Mac of the switch port or the machine trying to pull that IP it’s why I wanted to bridge two ports. )
the switch doesn't have any MAC address for verizon to see if you've made it a separate vlan with no VE/IP interfaces in it, and you have discovery protocols like lldp/fdp/cdp turned off

Pestx

Aug 21, 2020
Hello, I have a GPON SFP and I'd like to connect to it via its internal IP, for testing purposes (how to backup partition, flash it, etc.)
Problem is that I don't have anything (equipment to connect the fiber) to plug in it for the moment. On old Cisco switchs I remember that there was a no keepalive command that forced the port to get up even if nothing was connected to it.
Is there a way to do the same on Icx platform ? I tried to find on my own but my research was a failure ;)

Last edited:

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Hello, I have a GPON SFP and I'd like to connect to it via its internal IP, for testing purposes (how to backup partition, flash it, etc.)
Problem is that I don't have anything (equipment) to plug in it for the moment. On old Cisco switchs I remember that there was a no keepalive command that forced the port to get up even if nothing was connected to it.
Is there a way to do the same on Icx platform ? I tried to find on my own but my research was a failure ;)
Can you specify the ONT model number?
The ones I've seen are basically an OpenWRT-stick packaged inside a SFP module, so as long as it's plugged in it has an interface up; the management interface runs on the native VLAN and the broadband connection is available on one (or more) tagged VLAN.

But I think that for messing up with the internal OS you might need a JTAG or similar connection, that can provide also power for the embedded electronics.

Pestx

Aug 21, 2020
It's a Nokia/Alcatel G-010S-A. When I plug it in my ICX it stays down.
SSH@leswitch#show run interface ethernet 1/3/4
SSH@leswitch#

no conf on port just untag Vlan, and port stays down:

Code:
SSH@leswitch#show interfaces ethernet 1/3/4   
10GigabitEthernet1/3/4 is down, line protocol is down
  Port down for 227 day(s) 6 hour(s) 41 minute(s) 30 second(s)
  Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is 609c.9f44.68dc (bia 609c.9f44.6902)
  Interface type is 1Gig LX SFP
  Configured speed 1Gbit, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
  Member of L2 VLAN ID 1, port is untagged, port state is BLOCKING
So SFP is recognized.

I though it would be up/down, but it stays down/down. Did the ones you saw behave like this ?

Pestx

Aug 21, 2020
I have no equipment to plug the fiber in (yet), that's why I wanted to try to force it up. Apparently on some device, you can connect to it, even with no fiber plugged in it. I'll look at the link you provided and try to eventually solder it if needed. Thank you.

Edit: I tried with another old switch and it works without any fiber. I think this ONU needs to be soldered to work with the ICX.

Last edited:

ncarlson42

Apr 28, 2021
Is there a way to use the breakout ports on the 6610 to connect a qsfp+ to qsfp+ connection but get 4x10gb instead of 40gb like the other two ports? I have seen qsfp+ cables that say they are for 4x10gb but have qsfp+ on both ends. Excuse me for being new to qsfp+ but I am having a hard time finding if that cable will in fact work for me?

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Does anyone know if the 6610 can do 2.5/5gbe when paired with an NbaseT-capable SFP+ module? It sounds like a lot of the newer 10GBaseT modules support that (i.e. some of the ones listed here: https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/), but I can't seem to find a definitive answer if the switch needs to support it too, or if any switch capable of using the module will work.

Reactions: NateS

ncarlson42

Apr 28, 2021

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Can you go from an 6610 to a 6610 breakout to breakout and get 4x10gb?

Will any QSFP cable work or do you need one specifically for 4x10gb?

Thank you again for all the help!

all 4 QSFP ports on the rear are stacking ports - going from the 4x 10gbe breakout qsfp to another icx6610 4x 10gbe qsfp breakout port is how theyre designed to be stacked from the factory (using all 4 ports)

you don't need a special type of qsfp cable, 4x 10gbE QSFP+ and 40gbE QSFP+ are identical electrically