Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Im looking at the ICX-6610 in the 48 port POE+ flavor...
Im also wondering if any of the licenses have the 10G SFP+ license baked in.
is your usage for a business or is it home lab/hobbyist?

if home lab/hobbyist then please read the first post carefully Especially at the very top, Note 1 and Note 2... The very kind (though sometimes funny and snarky OP extraordinaire) has no/charge licenses to unlock all the features available for the ICX 6610 for home lab/hobbyist usage. You simply have to ask.

If business usage then somewhere in this thread is a discussion of the various differences between the PE and Advanced licenses...

klui

Feb 3, 2019
There is Advanced and Premium licenses. I noticed in the datasheet there is a Premium to Advanced upgrade so that tells me that Premium < Advanced but i cannot find a breakdown of what each license gives you vs what no license gives you. Im also wondering if any of the licenses have the 10G SFP+ license baked in.
Your query will be answered if you use the Search feature, search for "advanced premium", select This Thread, and By this thread's creator. Look at the first several posts.

Boosted

Feb 5, 2021
is your usage for a business or is it home lab/hobbyist?

if home lab/hobbyist then please read the first post carefully Especially at the very top, Note 1 and Note 2... The very kind (though sometimes funny and snarky OP extraordinaire) has no/charge licenses to unlock all the features available for the ICX 6610 for home lab/hobbyist usage. You simply have to ask.

If business usage then somewhere in this thread is a discussion of the various differences between the PE and Advanced licenses...
Homelab. Thanks for that as i missed those and immediately started looking at switches. Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it!

Your query will be answered if you use the Search feature, search for "advanced premium", select This Thread, and By this thread's creator. Look at the first several posts.
very nice! That answered my questions and thanks for the reply, i appreciate it!

Here is a quick link to his posts in this thread as well

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Quick question, have not found it on a search, are the modules on the 7400 line hot plug capable?

I.e can I simply rip out a 40G one and plug a 4x10 in it (or whatever) or do I need to power the switch off for that?

The FAQ for this modell only speaks about hot swappable fans/psus...
gotta do it while the switch is off

Archos

Apr 6, 2021
Just finished reading through the whole thread, found it while doing research for new switches.
A big thank you to fohdeesha especially and everyone else contributing with all this wealth of knowledge.

Just ordered 2x ICX 6450-48P for 180$ plus shipping. Shipping to Norway was almost as expensive as the switches.

Currently have a lab in my garage and six pairs of single mode fibre (1310nm) going to my house.

So I would like to uplink my garage to my house via 10G.
Use these SFPs today with my current switches: Cisco SFP-GE-L 1000BASE-LX/LH 1G SFP (mini-GBIC) Fibre Transceiver
Would this SFP work 10G: Brocade E1MG-LX-OM 1000BASE-LX 1G SFP (mini-GBIC) Fibre Transceiver

Also have two VMware ESXi hosts that I would like to uplink with 10G. They have Intel X520-T2 10GbE Dual Port RJ-45 cards.
What would be the cheapest and best way here, get new SFP+ cards (would need to be supported in ESXi version 7.0.2) or something like the MikroTik S+RJ10 SFP?
Link’s welcome!

Can’t wait to get started on learning doing L3 routing with these switches. :)

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Parts of your browsers cache/history :D
Google search settings (for my browser) are set to not store history (and I don't use Google services as such, so I'm not signed in or anything). And I've never searched for those terms for servethehome. :)

But yes, geography could be a thing.

Racheron

Apr 2, 2021
I do some basic admin of brocade switches at work (Jr. Lvl basically), but they're all running L2 firmware. I figured I'd try out the L3 in a homelab to play around with some of it.

tl;dr, do I have to do anything special to make the in-band management interface accessible across vlans? It is only reachable on the same VLAN.

I have an ICX6450-48p, connected to a Fortigate 30E with a port LACP. Routing lives on the firewall, the only ve on the brocade is meant for in-band management on VLAN100.

VLAN 100 also contains a Proxmox host plus several VMs, the in-band management port for the fortigate, and Aruba IAP, and a linux desktop serving an NFS share.

Policies are still being built and end in an any/any for my internal /16. I have global allow ICMP, as well as a policy specifically allowing SSH/http to the brocades virtual interface IP, *and* a temporary any/any rule while I build out the rest. The brocade does not have any ACLs configured. All other inter-vlan access is working as expected.

The virtual interface is not accessible from outside VLAN100. The Fortigate is logging allows for all attempts to access, but it doesn't respond to ping and isn't open on 22 or 80. I'm assuming I must need net-additional configuration to make this accessible across vlans? I assume if I configure VEs for the other VLANS the brocade will start trying to route them? I'm not entirely clear how you control it, I've only really done that in some VIRL labs and thats a bit in my rearview at this point.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I've been telling my clients this for over a decade... "Google Searches are based on YOUR previous searches and web browsing (not browser) habits."

So, if you have an earring website (that you obviously would visit quite often for work, updates, admin, orders, etc) and use Google search for, say: Earrings, Gold Earrings, Emerald Earrings; yes, you are going to be at the top of the list and be very happy you are on "The first page of results."

However, open a private browser and search for the same thing, you'll see you are page 93.

Google does have a setting, down deep deep in your user profile, to not keep Google Web Search history - which turns this feature off. Of course, you loose a lot of things like Google Home and device plugins like Rooma integration - out of all things.

tl;dr

Download and install Brave browser and use DuckDuckGo for your search engine. Same Chromium base, but all privacy problems solved.

Racheron

Apr 2, 2021
Have you checked the routes, both in the L3 switch and in the clients?
Client route tables are fine. Their default route is through the Fortigate,

Brocade only has the /24 for its virtual interface configured. Guessing I need to add a route for the other /24, next hop being the lag?

Code:
oldboy(config-vif-1)#show ip route
Total number of IP routes: 1
Type Codes - B:BGP D:Connected O:OSPF R:RIP S:Static; Cost - Dist/Metric
BGP  Codes - i:iBGP e:eBGP
OSPF Codes - i:Inter Area 1:External Type 1 2:External Type 2
        Destination        Gateway         Port          Cost          Type Uptime
1       192.168.1.0/24     DIRECT          ve 1          0/0           D    3h17m
EDIT: Overthinking it, good lord yes that was it, it needed a route back to 192.168.2.0/24. I am so used to being in a BGP environment that I glossed over that. thank you sir.

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Hence, "use DuckDuckGo for your search engine". No more Google, evar. And Brave blocks all Google trackers by default as a bonus.
I use Duck as default, too. But on many occasions, especially for technical searches, Google gives more relevant results. It could be psychological, but I use Duck first and if it doesn't offer a solution I go to Google.

On browser, I just saw this post today from uBO's author: gorhill/uBlock

darthray

Apr 11, 2021
Hello all,

I'm another new member who joined in just because of this thread. Thank you for putting this together! Still going through all the info (there's a *lot* of stuff in here!) but I'm already seeing a 6610 and a 7150-48ZP in my future.

It looks to me that folks are already providing some interesting solutions to noise on the 6610, so now I'm more curious about the 7150-48ZP. Specs indicate 52dB of noise, which is supposed to be louder than the 6610

Does the 7150 lend itself to fan replacement as easily as the 6450 (I believe I got that model right), or is it as strict as the 6610s?

Also, did anybody recently get a 7150-48ZP via best offer on eBay? I'm curious about current pricing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
The 7150-48zp has been a very rare beast, no real deals. Not enough people have gotten them to even start modding.

That seller has taken $500 for them. But, you can get two of the other switches for that price easy. And, you can mod the others to make them quiet (except the 6610).

Last edited: