Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
I don't think those are the best choice.
Why are you looking at the 40x10mm? Those can't provide a great static pressure, and there isn't any space constraints inside the case (the original are 28mm deep).
Try looking inside this thread, there are some suggestions. I've bought two Sunon Maglev KDE1204PKVX with an appreciable noise improvement, but it's by no means silent (and it can't be, those aren't engineered to be silent). If you want to put any IT enterprise gear in your living room well... you haven't heard other devices, some are more powerful than an airdryer.
Where did I say I wanted to put it in my living room? I saw that fan mentioned earlier in this thread and someone said it works good. I'll check out the fans you mentioned. Thanks :) Do you happen to know how many db those fans put out?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Lol, seems easy enough then, I assume it will update both switches in the stack at the same time?

Is there no need to update the boot or Poe firmware with this release?

Thanks!
that will upgrade all stack members, and no new bootloader or PoE firmware for the last couple years

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha - took me nearly 18mths to piece together power supplies and fans to a barebone ICX7750-48C...

Question, did you manage to mod the fans? they are pretty damn loud - louder than icx6610.

Thanks in advance
nope, the 7750 is a huge datacenter switch with a power sucking trident II asic, even if you could figure out a way to mod the fans to make it quieter, you'd probably cook the chip as a result

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Yes the ip block routed to my OOB drop is a /28. There shouldn't be any collision referred to in that post because it's an entirely separate uplink then what the ports on the front are connected to.
does the switch have a route installed to know how to get back out to the internet over the management port? for instance if your transit providers gateway on the other side of that /28 is xxx.1, your switch is gunna need a route telling it to use that as a next-hop for any traffic you want going out that oob connection. or if you have the whole /28 and it's given to you over some other /31 transit subnet, replace the example gateway with the providers gateway in that subnet etc

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Do you happen to know how many db those fans put out?
I've read 27.5dB, but this can be misleading as the switch keeps the fan at ~40% of the rated voltage at speed 1, and they are inside an enclosure.
I can say that there's an apreciabile difference between those and the stock Foxconn, but I don't have any measurement, sorry. And I can tell you that now it's bearable to be beside the switch, but it isn't silent.

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
What is the easiest way to replace an existing 7250 with a replacement 7250 with the exact same config?

Store a backup of the running config on current 7250
Restore that backup onto the new 7250
Maybe fix passwords?
Maybe change IP so that it doesn't conflict as I move ports?
Unplug existing 7250 ports and move to new 7250 ports
Or power off exiting 7250 before connecting to new to remove any IP/routing conflicts?

Or is there an easy way to run both for a short time as I move the ports from existing to new before removing the existing switch?
I am using vlan's and the switch is doing the routing for those vlan's which is why I am unsure about having both running at the same time without stacking (which would be removed since I am using 7 of the 10G ports as uplinks.)

The existing 7250-48p that I am using must have got some water damage or something since around 5-6 of the 1G ports are either dead or only link at 100Mbps and one of the 10G ports is giving some input and CRC errors. I am not currently using any of "bad" 1G ports and can move off the 10G port that is accumulating the errors, but got a replacement off ebay for ~$160 shipped that appears to be 100% functional and will use it instead and keep the old one as a spare.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
If you're shooting for no downtime, then backup/restore config, change IP, fix password, connect the two switches, then move ports over.
If you can tolerate downtime, restore the config over serial or with a laptop and TFTP, correct the password (as exported config replaces it with dots), then just move your cables over without bridging the switches.

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
I have already got the switch mostly setup using the serial port and the instructions at the beginning (by passing a serial port from my R720 into a VM and doing the setup from there) and can probably just do the unplug the first one and move the ports with a couple minutes of downtime.

I didn't know if there was an easy way to setup a stack between the two switches, mirror the config, and then just move the ports and turn the old one off.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Unstacking a switch will remove the config, IIRC.

You want to to copy the config from the original switch:
copy startup-config <destination here>

Load it onto your target:
copy <source here> startup-config<source options here>

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
Unstacking a switch will remove the config, IIRC.

You want to to copy the config from the original switch:
copy startup-config <destination here>

Load it onto your target:
copy <source here> startup-config<source options here>
Already did the
copy run-config disk0 run-config7250

thought I could do

copy disk0 run-config run-config7250
set passwords
write term

if that doesn't work, I will grab the startup-config from the existing and load it to the new one

And thanks for the help since I am not a networking guru and the documents all expect you to know something about how it is expected to work.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Yes, load the config from your USB (guessing that's disk0), then update the password and issue "wr me" should do it, then just start moving connections over.

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
Yes, load the config from your USB (guessing that's disk0), then update the password and issue "wr me" should do it, then just start moving connections over.
Loaded from disk0 (USB) to running config. Got an error about only having one ip for an interface and had to fix the ve 1 ip to match old switch.

The passwords appeared to be correct from the config loaded or were kept from my original setup on the new switch.

There were also a couple other settings that appeared to stay from the new switch that didn't match the old config and I just manually updated them to match.

Moved the port over and everything appears to be working.

erik29gamer

Jan 28, 2019
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, as I haven't gone through the entire thread. It seems like some of the "full size" 7150s are down to affordable prices now. I just picked up a 7150-24 for $140 after shipping. Going to be my first foray into Brocade and 10gb at the same time!

D4M4EVER

Sep 22, 2020
I'm sure this has been asked more then once but anyone got some good links/post to get LACP and VLANs setup on the 6610? I'm looking to setup VLANs that are comming off my pfsense box so no L3 VLAN on the switch as of now.

Reactions: tommybackeast

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
I'm sure this has been asked more then once but anyone got some good links/post to get LACP and VLANs setup on the 6610? I'm looking to setup VLANs that are comming off my pfsense box so no L3 VLAN on the switch as of now.
Terry Henry on YouTube

Reactions: D4M4EVER

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
Just spun up a second ICX6610 to stack with my current homelab switch. Have a question that I couldn't find a direct answer to.

On the switch I had set up years ago through @fohdeesha's licensing help it has the following licenses:
ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD
ICX6610-PREM-LIC-SW
ICX-MACSEC-LIC
ICX6610-ADV-UPG-LIC-SW

On the switch I just set up this evening with the most recent instructions and licenses offered, I have these:
ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD
ICX6610-ADV-LIC-SW
ICX-MACSEC-LIC

So I have all of the 10G ports working and the MACSEC, which I'm not using, but what's the differences with the ADV-UPG-LIC-SW, ADV-LIC-SW, and PREM-LIC-SW? Does one have more features than the other? Are these compatible for stacking? Should I delete the oddballs from the older switch and make it identical to the new switch? Will I lose any features?

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
noob question time. (I used to design ASICs for enterprise 10/40/100/400G switches and routers, but never had any exposure to the end-user/IT side of things)

1) The documentation materials talk about the SFP ports being for stacking/uplink. There's no reason I can't use them for my NAS/desktop, right?

2) Is it just the base-T transceiver which determines whether an SFP+ port's link will be able to negotiate at 2.5 or 5 gbps (ie, 802.3bz)? Or does the switch need to support it too? Will the 6450/7150/7250 all support this with the right transceiver?

I have one run which has cat5e, and will be nearly impossible to re-run with fiber or cat6 without opening lots of walls. I know "sometimes" 10G will work over cat5e at moderate distances, even though it isn't supported. I'd like this link to be 10G, but would settle for 2.5 or 5gbps. Anything specific I should look for beyond what's noted in the STH 10G transceiver guide for the ~$40 options? Any better (used?) transceiver options?

3) Do the 7250-24 and 7250-48 *both* idle at 50w, while the 6450-24 idles at 25w? If so, it might be worth me giving up the extra 10G SFP ports for my use case; otherwise I'll probably go 7250

4) Looks like a new QNAP QSW-M408S or QSW-M408-2C costs about the same as a 7250-24p on ebay, and has all the ports I "really" need for now. The 7250 has more ports for the future and PoE for possible future projects. Any reason NOT to get the 7250 over the QNAP?