Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrizzo

Feb 6, 2021
@mrizzo ,

This is possible with a stacking configuration. Stack the switches, ideally with 2x 40Gbit DACs in the rear ports and set up a LAG as usual with the appropriate ports.
Thanks! So you can setup LAG across stacking and that would accomplish redundancy if either one of the switches failed OR one of the uplinks failed?

Also, does a secondary switch automatically mirror configurations from the main one?

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
Yes to all of your questions. I have a second ICX6610 on my watch list right now to do exactly the same thing on my homelab. I have 5 servers with dual 10G SFP+ ConnectX-3's each and want to maximize reliability, specifically on the occasions when I reset the switch - it takes almost 5 minutes to get fully booted again and I don't like screwing with Proxmox cluster corosync and Gluster cluster sync. I'd much prefer to ensure they always have network access during a switch reboot.

texteditor

Oct 8, 2019
Having a hell of a time getting SSH login to work with publickeys on this, passwords and empty passwords work fine

Settings on desktop:

Code:
#-----------------------------------------
#
#          Brocade
#
#-----------------------------------------

Host brocade
    HostName 192.168.1.2
    User root
    Port 22
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/brocade_rsa
    PreferredAuthentications publickey
    KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
    HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-dss,ssh-rsa
and on the switch
Code:
ruckus0#show ip ssh config
SSH server                 : Enabled
SSH port                   : tcp\22
Host Key                   : DSA 1024, RSA 2048
Encryption                 : aes256-cbc, aes192-cbc, aes128-cbc, aes256-ctr, aes192-ctr, aes128-ctr, 3des-cbc
Permit empty password      : No
Authentication methods     : Public-key
Authentication retries     : 3
Login timeout (seconds)    : 120
Idle timeout (minutes)     : 5
Strict management VRF      : Disabled
SCP                        : Enabled
SSH IPv4 clients           : 192.168.1.11 (my desktop)
SSH IPv6 clients           : All
SSH IPv4 access-group      :
SSH IPv6 access-group      :
SSH Client Keys            :
Client Rekey               : 0 Minute, 0 KB
Server Rekey               : 0 Minute, 0 KB
Generated new RSA hostkeys, imported a copy of my pubkey from a tftp server, and I keep getting packet 51 errors. What other things do I need to add?

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
Is there an idiots guide to updating an already 6610-48P stack?

I’m due to shut down the lab for a dust/tidy up and may as well update the switches during this time.

I updated them to 08030t when originally setting them up, not sure if that makes it easier or harder.

Thanks!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Is there an idiots guide to updating an already 6610-48P stack?

I’m due to shut down the lab for a dust/tidy up and may as well update the switches during this time.

I updated them to 08030t when originally setting them up, not sure if that makes it easier or harder.

Thanks!
enable
copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 FCXR08030u.bin primary
reload

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
enable
copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 FCXR08030u.bin primary
reload
Lol, seems easy enough then, I assume it will update both switches in the stack at the same time?

Is there no need to update the boot or Poe firmware with this release?

Thanks!

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Ended up picking up these: MF40101VX-1000U-G99 Sunon Fans | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

Do you think these will work out ok? Not planning on using much of the poe budget and really won't be loading the switch too much.
I don't think those are the best choice.
Why are you looking at the 40x10mm? Those can't provide a great static pressure, and there isn't any space constraints inside the case (the original are 28mm deep).
Try looking inside this thread, there are some suggestions. I've bought two Sunon Maglev KDE1204PKVX with an appreciable noise improvement, but it's by no means silent (and it can't be, those aren't engineered to be silent). If you want to put any IT enterprise gear in your living room well... you haven't heard other devices, some are more powerful than an airdryer.

mrizzo

Feb 6, 2021
Anything I am missing in setting up an IP on the management interface? The IPs are routed fine (connecting to an IPMI port on one of my servers works) but I can't ping.

It shows the interface is up and here's what show running-config says:

Screenshot 2021-02-20 200118.png

mrizzo

Feb 6, 2021
Yes the ip block routed to my OOB drop is a /28. There shouldn't be any collision referred to in that post because it's an entirely separate uplink then what the ports on the front are connected to.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Hey so, picked up an ICX 6450 (why have one ICX when you can have two, right?). Got the licence and instructions, reset switch to factory, updated, installed licences, set the AFP+ ports at 10g, but they won't route/pass traffic. My 10g ports on my test machines are set to a different subnet The switch is in layer3 mode, but it should still pass traffic via layer2 on the same vlan correct? Stacking is disabled, not sure what else to check.

I can hit the web gui via ethernet port, I'm seeing TX packets on the 10G ports but no RX packets, so the cables and all transceivers are working well enough for packets to make it to the switch. If I direct connect my 2 test machines they can establish a 10g connection.

Edit: Well thats... new, looks like I found a transceiver Brocade doesn't like maybe? Swappedthe optics on the switch and it's working. These came from my bin of optic so A) they both failed B) I tossed some in I didn't test C)these Cisco optics don't work on brocade.

Need to dig out my mellanox cards as these solarflares I'm using/testing are sometimes picky (low power use and cost however so it's a tradeoff)

Last edited:

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Been reading through a lot of VLAN posts trying to figure out what to do with my 6610. It is running the router version of firmware on 8030t. At any rate, I have 2 VLAN's setup from a while ago that was just to segregate the ports into wired vs wireless with each having a physical port off my OPNSense firewall. Now that I've gotten more comfortable with this switch and OPNSense stuff in general, I want to go further with it. Currently I do not have VLAN's setup on the firewall since it was 2 separate physical interfaces anyway. Now I want to have 5 VLAN's going out those same 2 interfaces as follows:
ix1 -> Internal wired LAN and wireless (vlan 10 and 20)
ix2 -> DMZ, IOT, and Guest (vlan 30, 40, 50)

These are 2 10Gb ports on 1/3/7 and 1/3/8. OPNSense is handling DHCP and routing currently for all interfaces. The wireless is an Uni nano-HD so it supports VLAN's without issue. What I don't know, being a FC SAN guru and not an Ethernet guru, is what I want all setup on the 6610. Do I want RIP enabled? Per vlan STP? Set a router interface for the vlan? 802.1W? I know I can get it working myself just creating vlans with the correct ID's and putting in ports that need to be tagged and ones that are untagged. I just don't know the fine details so that not only does it work, but it is set up correctly and works properly. I probably also need to look into how to trunk the 2 10Gb ports on the switch to pass the needed vlans.

kousuke

Jul 18, 2017
@fohdeesha - took me nearly 18mths to piece together power supplies and fans to a barebone ICX7750-48C...

Question, did you manage to mod the fans? they are pretty damn loud - louder than icx6610.

Thanks in advance