Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
THAT IS QUITTER TALK. Anything can be cooled quietly, just a matter of engineering and design trade offs. This isn't rocket science. I'm sure slapping two 180mm fans on top would do it easily with lower than stock temps, but it is more work, and would make it take up more rack space. Someone else did this with a ICX 6610 which has a higher TDP.
Yup, I was one of the first ones to mod a 6610 with 3x 120mm fans on top. :)

Like I said no good way...

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
FYI I've swapped the two stock fans with two Sunon MF40201vx-1000u-g99 MagLev ones. I'm considering adding a 3rd, adding a slim fan on top of asic, or go full nuclear and cut out holes for mounting dual top-down 140-180mm fans
I exchanged on my 7250-24P the two fans to Delta EFB0412VHD-F00. This was a huge improvement for noise but now I got a temperature issue. I am waiting for the Sunon MF60101V3-1000U-A99 fan I ordered to put on top of the ASIC. Unfortunately, I could not find any other alternative with thin height and have to be patient due to long delivery time.

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
I exchanged on my 7250-24P the two fans to Delta EFB0412VHD-F00. This was a huge improvement for noise but now I got a temperature issue. I am waiting for the Sunon MF60101V3-1000U-A99 fan I ordered to put on top of the ASIC. Unfortunately, I could not find any other alternative with thin height and have to be patient due to long delivery time.

Did you order from Mouser? They have them in stock right now (that's where I bought mine from).

plexisaurus

Jan 14, 2021

I'm ordering the MF60101V1-1000U-G99. It's rated at 28ish dbA which better matches the dba rating of the 40mm fans. No point in sacrificing airflow when any dbA benefit will be canceled by the louder 40mm fans. Also thanks for pointing me to that post by roachedcoach, I overlooked that one in my search.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Instead of being dismissive, how about actually being helpful and share a data point like was asked.
Not being dismissive, just pointing out the obvious. These are 1U devices packed with enough hardware to do serious switching. 1U devices are inherently difficult to cool, silently. If there was a good, easy way to keep them cool AND silent, the interwebs would have their panties in a bunch by now. But they don't.

That should tell you everything you need to know. Can it be done? Sure. Can it be done at a reasonable cost and maintaining hardware longevity? Nope.

I could easily design a water-cooling system that will keep them completely silent AND cool. It'll most likely cost more than a few switches combined, because it'll be a one off with custom components.

plexisaurus

Jan 14, 2021
Not being dismissive, just pointing out the obvious. These are 1U devices packed with enough hardware to do serious switching. 1U devices are inherently difficult to cool, silently. If there was a good, easy way to keep them cool AND silent, the interwebs would have their panties in a bunch by now. But they don't.

That should tell you everything you need to know. Can it be done? Sure. Can it be done at a reasonable cost and maintaining hardware longevity? Nope.

I could easily design a water-cooling system that will keep them completely silent AND cool. It'll most likely cost more than a few switches combined, because it'll be a one off with custom components.
I'm not going to debate the thermal engineering with you, and I never asked for or wanted your opinion on the feasibility. I was simply asking for specific data to use to make my own decisions with. You do you.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
i am interested in ICX7150-C12P, but have two main questions.
1. can it be used as router? looking at spec sheets and posts looks like can. maybe someone is running it like router.
2. can sfp+ and rj45 uplink ports used as simple ports for wiring lan devices?

one extra:
i have gpon fiber at home. Would it be possible to use gpon sfp transceiver on sfp ports?
The C12P's SFP and 'uplink' ports (C1,C2) can certainly be used to wire LAN devices. The RJ45 uplink ports don't provide PoE like ports 1-12 do.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
i am interested in ICX7150-C12P, but have two main questions.
1. can it be used as router? looking at spec sheets and posts looks like can. maybe someone is running it like router.
2. can sfp+ and rj45 uplink ports used as simple ports for wiring lan devices?

one extra:
i have gpon fiber at home. Would it be possible to use gpon sfp transceiver on sfp ports?
I'm sure the switch would support the GPON transceiver (the 10G ports run in 1G mode when not licensed); whether or not your ISP supports it is another matter (or if you can work around it).

sputnik13

Dec 19, 2020
I have something weird going on.

I got my icx 6450-48p and started it up with the stock fan, this worked fine. I replaced the stock fans with the sunon maglev fans (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ODM76C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and this seems to be causing a power surge as it trips the breakers for my office after initial fan spindown. However, when I plug the switch to a different circuit (different room of the house) it boots and stays on just fine.

Has anyone observed similar behavior? I have the 48port poe version as I expected I will need PoE at some point, but is there a way to disable/disconnect poe to reduce the power consumption?

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I replaced the stock fans with the sunon maglev fans and this seems to be causing a power surge as it trips the breakers for my office after initial fan spindown.
Those fans can draw a handful of watts each at most, many won't even reach a single W of power consumption... I don't think that your issues with the breaker is anywhere near related to the fans, but I suspect a general overload of the circuit, that after a couple of minutes with the additional consumption of the switch itself (not the fans!) trips the protection.
The moment that the switch spins down the fan is when it's booted up and it initialize the "real" switch chip inside; during bootup with the fans at full tilt the actual power consumption is wayyy less than during normal usage.

sputnik13

Dec 19, 2020
but I suspect a general overload of the circuit, that after a couple of minutes with the additional consumption of the switch itself (not the fans!) trips the protection
I have had this switch on for hours in my office prior to the fan swap, that's what puzzles me...

Actually, I put the cover back on and tried turning it on again (the cover was off in previous attempts) and it seems fine now even with the sunon fans... rather perplexed what might have been causing the overload.

Last edited:

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I have had this switch on for hours in my office prior to the fan swap, that's what puzzles me...

Actually, I put the cover back on and tried turning it on again (the cover was off in previous attempts) and it seems fine now even with the sunon fans... rather perplexed what might have been causing the overload.
Maybe you're "at the edge" of the allowable power draw of the circuit and a small "kick" of ~100W or so during bootup may be enough to trip it... you'd feel the breaker being warm in this case, and it might not even want to stay closed right after it disengages in the worst case.

Try to look at what it's plugged in and what may cause a high power consumption... :confused:

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Did you order from Mouser? They have them in stock right now (that's where I bought mine from).
The Delta I bought from Mouser. The Sunon I ordered from RS.

I'm ordering the MF60101V1-1000U-G99. It's rated at 28ish dbA which better matches the dba rating of the 40mm fans. No point in sacrificing airflow when any dbA benefit will be canceled by the louder 40mm fans. Also thanks for pointing me to that post by roachedcoach, I overlooked that one in my search.
My plan is first to connect this fan in parallel to the housing fans. So, it will run at fan level 1 anyhow slower and at a different noise level. If this is not enough, I will connect it to permanently 12 V. This is my plan. No idea if it will work. I can report later.

For me the housing fans were expensive as I could not find anything at local shops and I had to order oversee with high shipping costs. But this Sunon I could find locally and it was not more than the value of a beer.

If all will not work, the 7250-24P will go back to eBay where it comes from. Too bad, I really like the spec. But this was part of my plan.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
As I've never used them before, what are people's opinions on OM3 LC/UPC multimode 10Gpbs straight-through patch panels? (Hoping I got the terms right, just learned what all of these things mean)

Is there a loss of signal or risk of weak connections?

I'm building one of those custom 14U mobile (wheels) server rack out of 2x4s and plywood. I'm looking for something in the rear of the rack to connect 2 to 4 LC/UPC OM3 cables. Like this:

I have at least two 40 foot runs (plus room routing) that I've decided it's pretty cheap just to buy some transceivers and an OM3 cable for. However, I don't want to tie my rack down to one spot. Plus, it leaves 10g for the next house occupants when we sale in a few years (there's two studies).

I'll already have CAT6a keystones for a rear panel, with a few open slots. So was hoping to find some LC/UPC OM3 straight through connectors for it.

Last edited:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Weird, I was never able to get the C1/C2 ports to work with mine. Maybe they're just borked
In 'sh int br' do you have int 1/2/1 and 1/2/2?
I used them as a LACP pair until I got a 10g core and ran fiber. They were configured like any other port on the 7150-c12, just with no PoE.

What's the output of 'sh run int e 1/2/1 e 1/2/2'?

Do you have any VLANs? Have you tried adding the interfaces to them?

ipmifreely

Jan 16, 2021
dead ports:

so i configured 3x laggs. 2 were working 1 port of one of the lags was not- i deleted all my vlans and two of the LAGs 3 vlans now all 4 ports are not working of the 2 lags i deleted are not working (no lights when eathernet pugged in)

have i somehow killed 4 ports on this switch? how could i have killed them?

here is my "show run"

Code:
ver 08.0.30uT7f3
!
stack unit 1
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
  stack-trunk 1/2/1 to 1/2/2
  stack-trunk 1/2/6 to 1/2/7
!
!
!
lag Proxmox1 dynamic id 1
ports ethernet 1/1/9 to 1/1/10
primary-port 1/1/9
lacp-timeout long
!
lag Proxmox2 dynamic id 2
ports ethernet 1/1/11 to 1/1/12
primary-port 1/1/11
lacp-timeout long
!
lag freenas1 dynamic id 11
ports ethernet 1/1/3 to 1/1/6
primary-port 1/1/3
lacp-timeout long
deploy
!                                                                
lag freenas2 dynamic id 12                                      
!
!
vlan 1 name management by port
tagged ethe 1/1/9 to 1/1/13 ethe 1/1/15 #13 & 15 are my workaround since 9 to 11 seem dead...
untagged ethe 1/1/3 to 1/1/8 ethe 1/1/14 ethe 1/1/16 to 1/1/22
router-interface ve 1
!
vlan 2 name lan by port
tagged ethe 1/1/9 to 1/1/12
untagged ethe 1/1/25 to 1/1/48
!
vlan 3 name carp by port
tagged ethe 1/1/9 to 1/1/12
!
vlan 4 name wifi by port
tagged ethe 1/1/9 to 1/1/13 ethe 1/1/15