Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mwarps

Oct 29, 2019
So I got my hands on an ICX7250 24-port unit. So far, no response from serial console, and the fans stay at max on power.

First power up, it took about five minutes to "boot" (the fans got quiet, and an ethernet link established), but nothing ever showed on serial.

Do I have a brick?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
The behavior sounds like a normal boot, I'd verify your serial settings and make sure you have the right COM port number by checking Device Manager. I have a USB serial device that can randomly change what COM number gets assigned when it's plugged in.

Settings for ICX are 9600/8/N/1 and no flow control. PuTTY defaults to XON/XOFF.

Oh and you connected that USB port to a serial port, not to a USB port on your system, right? The mini-USB on the 7250 is wired for serial; there's no USB device inside, so connecting to a USB port on your host will burn it out.

Reactions: noduck and mwarps

mwarps

Oct 29, 2019
The behavior sounds like a normal boot, I'd verify your serial settings and make sure you have the right COM port number by checking Device Manager. I have a USB serial device that can randomly change what COM number gets assigned when it's plugged in.

Settings for ICX are 9600/8/N/1 and no flow control. PuTTY defaults to XON/XOFF.

Oh and you connected that USB port to a serial port, not to a USB port on your system, right? The mini-USB on the 7250 is wired for serial; there's no USB device inside, so connecting to a USB port on your host will burn it out.
I have a USB->rollover into a keystone with the mini-B's green on pin 3, white on pin 6 and black on pin 5.
Have checked putty on windows and a linux machine and nothing at all on either. I'm beginning to think someone may have blown up the console port previously.

I'm going to order a genuine cable and see what that yields. I'm happy to admit this is a haaaaaaackjob.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I have a USB->rollover into a keystone with the mini-B's green on pin 3, white on pin 6 and black on pin 5.
Have checked putty on windows and a linux machine and nothing at all on either. I'm beginning to think someone may have blown up the console port previously.

I'm going to order a genuine cable and see what that yields. I'm happy to admit this is a haaaaaaackjob.
Just to reiterate... have you deactivated flow control? Otherwise nothing would come through.

Reactions: itronin

drtaru

Jan 10, 2021

Seems like your rollover is just wired wrong.

Code:
(ICX)  mUSB -> RJ45 --> DE9  (RS232)     [RJ45 wire colour]
       1       NC       NC
 (RX)  2  -->  3  --->  3    (TX)        [red]
 (TX)  3  -->  6  --->  2    (RX)        [white]
       4       NC       NC
(GND)  5  -->  5,4  ->  5,8  (GND, CTS)  [black, green]

mwarps

Oct 29, 2019

Code:
       1       NC       NC
       4       NC       NC
It's a knock-off rollover.
Here is its pinout, per the ebay listing:

(1-CTS,2-DSR,3-RXD,4-GND,5-GND,6-TXD,7-DTR,8-RTS)

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
APC PDU rack ears seem cheap and modifiable to be used with 6450's and 7250's.

Anyone willing to buy some and try?

Jun 22, 2015
Are icx6650 and icx6610 power supplies interchangable? The PS for 6610 has model string: PRS16-E, while the 6650 one has model string PRS15-E. Label says PRS16-E has V1/V2 two types of voltage outputs with 12v and 66v respectively (don't know what this means) while the PRS15-E has only 12V output. Mechanically the pin layouts are the same.
Guess they are but just to want to make sure in case I make a fatal mistake.

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019
Are icx6650 and icx6610 power supplies interchangable? The PS for 6610 has model string: PRS16-E, while the 6650 one has model string PRS15-E. Label says PRS16-E has V1/V2 two types of voltage outputs with 12v and 66v respectively (don't know what this means) while the PRS15-E has only 12V output. Mechanically the pin layouts are the same.
Guess they are but just to want to make sure in case I make a fatal mistake.

From my investigating back when I had several 6610s with varying amount and types of PSUs:

ICX-FAN10-E (exhaust) for front to back
ICX-FAN10-I (intake) for back to front
Also can be found as ICX6610-FAN-(I|E)

RPS15-(I|E) - 250W Non-PoE PSU
RPS16-(I|E) - 1000W PoE PSU

---

The RPS16 outputting multiple voltages makes sense with it being used for POE models, which the 6650 obviously lacks. Also, keep in mind you can't mix and match intake fans or psus with exhaust fans/psus.

Reactions: vintagehardware

mwarps

Oct 29, 2019

Code:
       1       NC       NC
       4       NC       NC
Yep. OEM cable works like a charm!!!! :)

craig5571

May 31, 2020
I have an icx7250p 24 port. running 8.0.92 . I want to configure a trunk port to esxi 7.0. I know how to do this in the cisco world , but brocade is just a tiny bit different. I know how to configure the Esxi side ( or at least I think I do... minor lol....)

the esxi 7 server would be connecting to one of the 10 gig sftp+ ports. I know it's not that hard but I'm having difficulty thinking of how to do it.

right now on the switch everything is at defaults. the way I think it would work is I setup the trunk link on the 7250 and then assign all the vlans from within Esxi. I'm forcing myself to expand my horizons and it's worth it. Just hit a tiny bump in the road and was wondering if someone could give me just a little bit of help.

Thank you

One of the VM's I will be running on this Esxi server is a Cisco 9800 WLC . I will be working with these later in the year and need to lab up now so i can survive the corporate jungle.

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019
I have an icx7250p 24 port. running 8.0.92 . I want to configure a trunk port to esxi 7.0. I know how to do this in the cisco world , but brocade is just a tiny bit different. I know how to configure the Esxi side ( or at least I think I do... minor lol....)

the esxi 7 server would be connecting to one of the 10 gig sftp+ ports. I know it's not that hard but I'm having difficulty thinking of how to do it.

right now on the switch everything is at defaults. the way I think it would work is I setup the trunk link on the 7250 and then assign all the vlans from within Esxi. I'm forcing myself to expand my horizons and it's worth it. Just hit a tiny bump in the road and was wondering if someone could give me just a little bit of help.

Thank you

One of the VM's I will be running on this Esxi server is a Cisco 9800 WLC . I will be working with these later in the year and need to lab up now so i can survive the corporate jungle.
I don't know anything about the esxi side (don't use it), but switch side is easy.

Code:
vlan 1
tag eth 1/2/1
vlan 2
tag eth 1/2/1
So on and so forth. If you want to set the native untagged clan on a trunk port, you can just directly do

Code:
vlan 3
untagged eth 1/2/1
now, no more fooling around with dual-mode. You don't have to worry about any of that switchport mode trunk, switchport encapsulation, switchport trunk allowed vlan add, nonsense.

Unless I'm missing something, your implementation is really simple, but yeah vlan assignment is one of the biggest differences from IOS.

Reactions: craig5571

dreamkass

Aug 14, 2012
Hello, setting up an ICX 6610 using the out of band management port with a specific subnet (not managed by the ICX), trying to find how to setup a default gateway for the OOB only, I'm guessing I have to use a VRF or something else?

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
So here's some fans you can buy that I'd recommend.
  • Delta EFB0412VHD-F00 - $12.40/ea @ Digikey
    There's a REASON Delta's a top pick for ODM and OEM. 40x40x20mm, 10.1CFM, 0.416in H2O (which is insane,) 32.5dBA @ 1m, rated for 70k hours at 50C. Make sure it's THAT part number and not the Rev C, which is a vastly inferior part.
I am very satisfied with the noise level of two Delta EFB0412VHD-F00 in comparison to the original two Foxconn PIA040H12P n my ICX 7250-14P. But unfortunately, the cooling performance is not sufficient. For testing the switch is placed free on a desk. It is wintertime and the ambient temperature is somewhere 20 - 22 °C. Without any load and only 1 cable connected for ssh access, after about 15 min the temperature limit of 93 °C is exceeded and the level 2 of fan power starts. It runs only for 30 sec in level 2. But this cycle repeats about every 5 to 10 min.

I will give it one more trial by adding an additional fan over the cooling rips of the CPU. First, I have to search the correct one. Sunon MF60101V3-1000U-A99 I was reading somewhere. Otherwise, this device and me we will go separate ways again.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
I don't know anything about the esxi side (don't use it), but switch side is easy.

Code:
vlan 1
tag eth 1/2/1
vlan 2
tag eth 1/2/1
So on and so forth. If you want to set the native untagged clan on a trunk port, you can just directly do

Code:
vlan 3
untagged eth 1/2/1
now, no more fooling around with dual-mode. You don't have to worry about any of that switchport mode trunk, switchport encapsulation, switchport trunk allowed vlan add, nonsense.

Unless I'm missing something, your implementation is really simple, but yeah vlan assignment is one of the biggest differences from IOS.
thank you so much , will this allow intervlan routing as well for example three vlans 10 20 and 30
all on different subnets 192.168.10.0 , 20.0, 30.0 etc..

will a device on 20.0 be able to ping 10.0 and 30.0 and vice versa

i had thought i read something about having to have a ve interface

BROCADE CAMPUS FEATURE EXPLAINER SERIES - VLAN ROUTING WITH ROUTER-INTERFACE CONFIGURATION

I should know this all by heart, but I been doing Wi-Fi so long.. alot of simple wired stuff has slipped my mind..

thanks again

ipmifreely

Jan 16, 2021
inter vlan routing WITHOUT doing it on the switch (icx6610)

hi all,

I've just upgraded from a HP procurve with layer 2 vlan support and my intervlan routing is not working - it was working fine with the HP. I'm seeing a lot of folks in this thread with similar problems but (i think) they are mostly trying to solve the problem IN switch and i want to keep my nice opnsense GUI....

my setup: I have a hand full of vlans and Opnsense running as a VM on proxmox. Proxmox has and LACP/LAG bonded connection to the switch. so

the setup of the switch is

vlan 3000 - wan
vlan 1 - management
vlan 2 - lan
vlan 4 - wifi
vlan 10 - defualt_vlan (i reassigned it)

for the wan iput port i set it as dual mode becuase my ISP is GPON and sets the services on speific vlans (yes i probably don't need this - but i don't want that port part of the default vlan and don't know how else to do it)
for the LACP ports for proxmox i set vlan y as dual mode (because i couldn't get untagged to work with LACP) and the rest of the vlans to tagged.
for the rest of the 1st 22 ports i set vlan 1 as untagged
for ports 22&24 i set vlan 4 (wifi) as untaggged
for ports 25-48 i set vlan 2 as untagged.

this is more or less and exact replication of what i was doing with my procurve (the new switch just has more ports so i've spread things about a bit)

The setup of Proxmox is:

i create the bond
i setup all the vlans i need.
i create bridge interfaces for all the vlans
i share the bridge interfaces for all the vlans with my VM and to them they look like separate adapters...

The setup inside the opnsense VM is:
is sees all the bridge interfaces from poxmox as network adapters and applys firewall and routing between them.

yes i know that the icx is layer 3 - I got the ICX6610 for more ports, 10 & 40 Gig, and POE and not so much for Layer 3 at it is overwhelming for me.

am i being thick ? i searched the forum already but didn't find anything that seemed to pertain to my sistuation (routing from a router that is a VM). if my problem is easily googilable please just point me in the right direction and accept my appologies in advance :)

drtaru

Jan 10, 2021
I ordered sunon fans and when they are connected i get pretty terrible coil whine sounding noise when they ramp down to 4v, is there any way to force a ICX 7250-48 to run the fans at speed 2 always?