Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ClintE

Feb 22, 2019
Read the first post, second sentence under Note 2. it's free.
Yes, I noticed that, thank you. Looking forward to having more than enough 10G ports soon, and the two 40G ports are a bonus that can be put to use. Was reading that the other two QSFP ports can be "split" so that ports on the same link can be uplink or host, which is interesting. Be nice having everything in one box. If this works out, might have to pick up another one for spare.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
There IS a minimum RPM floor on all models for alerting, and the 7000's will refuse to boot. (The 6000's will just yell at you.) The factory fan for the ICX7250 is most likely the same W40S or is 'very similar.' The RPM window is tuned somewhat broadly so that Brocade can change fan suppliers if necessary without needing to have fan-specific software.
And the W40S is why I would KILL to be able to change the FAN RPM expectations in the OS.

The Nidec W40S is rated for 25,000RPM at 12V with a peak that could reach 29,000RPM. It is not just 'high speed.' It was literally the highest speed 40mm fan period for quite some time. Sanyo Denki just introduced the 9HVA at 38,000RPM this year. (We don't count the 9CRH I use because it's a counter-rotating fan.)
But at 25,000RPM, we have options. The Nidec W40S, SanAce 9GAX, and Delta FFB0412. So we can reasonably assume the engineers tuned the window to accommodate these three fans. Especially as we have already observed the SanAce 9GAX in the ICX. This means that an ICX originally equipped with 'screamers' will have a VERY specific RPM window - a minimum of 11,500+-500 (or 1000) at 6V, and an overspeed trigger at around 26,500RPM.
Mind you, I am basing my assumption here on the 7250 using substantially the same fan as the 6450. Which would make the most sense from a sourcing, manufacturing, and code stability standpoint. (7450's and others with fan modules, totally different expectations. Especially as they use counter-rotating fans.) So 1 or 3 fans with 25kRPM @ 12V, and you need to hit 11kRPM at 6V.

Unfortunately that means the ONLY way you can get there is 1) faking the RPMs completely 2) connecting to a constant 12V supply with a 12kRPM fan and hoping it never asks for speed 2. Speed 2 will go into fan failure mode immediately.
This also, by the way, informs us as to what signals a tach faker needs to put out and what components. And it is a doozy - you need 50KHz square wave at about +-2.5% to prevent it reading fan failure.
so does that mean the GDA4028-12BB will not work in the icx7250p? @rootwyrm , if not can you suggest a replacement fan? I read through this whole long thread and saw you say if you can find these buy them.. so I did ... (lol.... sigh...) this is just for my home lab... just trying to make it a little quieter if possible
thank you

Last edited:

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Is there anyway to increase the thresholds of fan speeds for the ICX6450-48P? Recently, even though my temperatures are below 60 degress celcius, the fans go to mode 2 (much noisier) when it would just stay at mode 1.

My fan controlled tempature (from show chassis) is 56.5 Celcius
Speed 1 is NM<---->65 Celcius
Speed 2 is 56<---->79 Celcius

much thanks

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Yes, I noticed that, thank you. Looking forward to having more than enough 10G ports soon, and the two 40G ports are a bonus that can be put to use. Was reading that the other two QSFP ports can be "split" so that ports on the same link can be uplink or host, which is interesting. Be nice having everything in one box. If this works out, might have to pick up another one for spare.
Note that the 6610-24F model does not have any RJ45 ports except the management interface. Front panel has 24x gigabit SFP and 8x 10GbE SFP+; rear panel has 2x 40GbE QSFP and 2x 4x10GbE QSFP (breakout). Yes they are loud; there are a couple threads here on fan mods with a cheap 555 pulse generator.

Reactions: fohdeesha

ClintE

Feb 22, 2019
Note that the 6610-24F model does not have any RJ45 ports except the management interface. Front panel has 24x gigabit SFP and 8x 10GbE SFP+; rear panel has 2x 40GbE QSFP and 2x 4x10GbE QSFP (breakout). Yes they are loud; there are a couple threads here on fan mods with a cheap 555 pulse generator.
Hello, I have another (quiet) Dell 5524 switch that can be used for copper lines until I can find enough (inexpensive?) 1GbE tranceivers. Going the external fan & acoustic material route for reducing 6610 noise.

Can the two 40G breakout ports be used as single 40G like the other two rear ports, or breakout / stacking only?

Smbaker

Oct 9, 2019
I got tired of hearing the fans (yes I've already replaced them with quieter ones) occasionally spin up, so I brute-forced a solution:

brocade-fan1.JPG
brocade-fan2-.jpg
The fan is whatever came from my junk box. A 120mm noctua is on order. I did not disable the fans inside the chassis -- I probably should, but I did not want to take the time to bring the switch down and tear it apart, nor do I want to deal with the possible issues of the switch complaining about the original fans being removed.

My "fan speed 1" temperatures went from ~ 59-64 degrees to ~ 54 degrees.

It looks kinda silly, but it worked.

Scott

Dec 10, 2020
I got tired of hearing the fans (yes I've already replaced them with quieter ones) occasionally spin up, so I brute-forced a solution:

View attachment 16642
View attachment 16643
The fan is whatever came from my junk box. A 120mm noctua is on order. I did not disable the fans inside the chassis -- I probably should, but I did not want to take the time to bring the switch down and tear it apart, nor do I want to deal with the possible issues of the switch complaining about the original fans being removed.

My "fan speed 1" temperatures went from ~ 59-64 degrees to ~ 54 degrees.

It looks kinda silly, but it worked.

Scott
Would you be willing to share the .stl for that?

pokeimon

Oct 13, 2019
USA
I think this is more of OPNsense issue and not a switch configuration issue though I'm not 100% sure.
I currently have OPNsense as my firewall with a Brocade ICX6450 using layer 3 routing. The default route is set to OPNsense and my devices have WAN access.

The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to be able to port forward an HTTP connection to an apache server. Locally I can connect to the apache server and the apache server itself is not running any firewalls. I added a port forward for ICMP and I can ping the apache serve from an external source successfully.

I believe its a TCP handshake issue, but I'm not sure what I should look at to correct it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to be able to port forward an HTTP connection to an apache server. Locally I can connect to the apache server and the apache server itself is not running any firewalls. I added a port forward for ICMP and I can ping the apache serve from an external source successfully.

I believe its a TCP handshake issue, but I'm not sure what I should look at to correct it.
I've noticed this myself, and if you dig deeper you'll find that the response packets will match the SNAT rule for the outbound connection if there's one defined for subnets not directly connected to any interface. I've not yet found a way to avoid this unfortunately.
Try adding an exclusion to the SNAT rule for your apache server (it wouldn't be able to connect to any host outside of your network), and test if the port forwarding works.

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
You did modify your NAT Outbound rules to include all subnets in your LAN, right?

I changed the Outbound rules for each 10.1.99.0/30, the subnet used between OPNSense and ICX6610, to 10.1.0.0/8 to include all my subnets.

Doing a NAT Port Forward for HTTP/Apache and any other service has been no issue on my OPNSense + L3 switch setup.

pokeimon

Oct 13, 2019
USA
You did modify your NAT Outbound rules to include all subnets in your LAN, right?

I changed the Outbound rules for each 10.1.99.0/30, the subnet used between OPNSense and ICX6610, to 10.1.0.0/8 to include all my subnets.

Doing a NAT Port Forward for HTTP/Apache and any other service has been no issue on my OPNSense + L3 switch setup.
Yes, I am currently running a Hybrid outband NAT which has a copy of the auto generated NATs but includes in the networks of each vlan.

2020-12-13 (2).png

pokeimon

Oct 13, 2019
USA
You guys can hit www.fohdeesha.com right? That's behind an l3 subnet on an icx with a transit vlan to pfsense, with a port forward. Haven't had any issues
Yes I am able to access it.

Not sure what configuration I have setup incorrectly that would allow me to ping the webserver but wont allow web traffic. I have no drops/rejects in the firewall.
1607895372784.png

kapone

May 23, 2015
Yes I am able to access it.

Not sure what configuration I have setup incorrectly that would allow me to ping the webserver but wont allow web traffic. I have no drops/rejects in the firewall.
View attachment 16731
Does the webserver itself (like Windows/IIS) have a firewall that could be blocking port 80? (port 80 is blocked by default on a lot of things).