Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmh.01

Mar 12, 2018
I have one of those at home.... but given it's at home and makes a hell of a lot of noise.... and doesn't have POE+.. (I have the 3064-T) - not sure what to do with it yet..
Fortunately I've got everything in a rack in the garage so noise isn't a massive concern, I'll probably regret making this statement but they can't be much louder than the the Brocade FC switches I've got :confused:.

Unfortunatly they still go for £1k+ here so I won't be getting one for a while, and like you say being a DC switch they have plenty of missing campus features to trade off. That's a big pro-side of the ICX range that they sit in the middle of both feature sets.

bdavid89

Oct 9, 2020
Why is the switch responding with mac address "01:92:00:00:00:00"?
The switch' ports has these MACs before configuring the default VLAN: MACs and after they just get that address
Extra "info" i found is at the Boot Log "Unable to open /fast_iron/ka_link_reg.txt"

Now I am hitting the table with my forehead too
I already done it twice :D Maybe I should ask the seller what he means under the "Taken from a working environment tested and is in excellent working order"

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
The switch' ports has these MACs before configuring the default VLAN: MACs and after they just get that address
Extra "info" i found is at the Boot Log "Unable to open /fast_iron/ka_link_reg.txt"
My 6610 shows the Unable to open /fast_iron/ka_link_reg.txt on boot as well, but no issues with MAC addresses, so I think that's a red herring.

What's in your running-config? Perhaps a previously issued subcommand in the hidden dm command is causing your MAC address issues.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I don't have too much in conf. I didn't run any dm commands, and I did "factory set-default" a couple of times now. Those commands results can be persistent somewhere (like the previous owner used them and now it "haunts" me :D ) ?
Can you post the output of show version and show chassis

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well that would be why it's replying with a nonsensical MAC, that's what it's been set to on that chassis:

Code:
Boot Prom MAC : 0192.0000.0000
Management MAC: 0192.0000.0000
Also possible it was erased for some reason and that's just the default/blank fallback MAC. Every MAC on the switch for every port/VE is based on an iteration of that boot prom mac, so it needs to be something sensical. Somewhere on your chassis should be a sticker with the actual mac address, or you can generate a random one using: MAC Address Generator

Get into the bootloader of your switch over serial, then you can set the base MAC to whatever you generated above, (or the MAC on the sticker), just make sure it's in the following format:

Code:
set ether-address EEF6.FE8C.D074
You should get output like the following:

Code:
Monitor>set ether-address EEF6.FE8C.D074
base-eth-address=eef6.fe8c.d074
then just send "reset", it'll reboot, and once it comes up "show chassis" should show the new prom/mgmt MAC being a close copy of whatever you set (sometimes it's offset by one or two)

klui

Feb 3, 2019
made the mistake of gathering all the units I could find while organizing the basement (not including switches out on loan or units in use). I may have a problem
Gee, it looks like you like Brocades. Which one is your favorite and why?

HaxSmash

Oct 15, 2020
I have a second 6450-48P with a dead POE board (scorched POE chip with a hole in it haha). I pulled the POE board out, and was going to use it as a non-POE swtich, however having done that, the fans are now running full speed all the time, and never spin down.

If I reinstall the POE board, the fans go back to normal, and spin down after boot. Does anyone know if there is any way to work around this? The switch is still spitting out POE power on about half its ports, and the switch OS has no control over it, so I'd rather not have it installed if I can avoid it.

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com

made the mistake of gathering all the units I could find while organizing the basement (not including switches out on loan or units in use). I may have a problem
I'll take the EX4300 if you don't want it. I could use another switch that can run Perl and Tcl/Tk.
Or I guess I could teach you how to really root it if you want. It's far easier than any of the Brocade crap.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'll take the EX4300 if you don't want it. I could use another switch that can run Perl and Tcl/Tk.
Or I guess I could teach you how to really root it if you want. It's far easier than any of the Brocade crap.
sure, $450 and it's yours. Also, thanks for the offer, but I don't think I need to be taught how to run "su -" lmao

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
That's not rooting them. Not even remotely. I'm talking actual control, the secure areas, unsupported OSes, etc.
That's full root, with full access to *bsd and the filesystem below, all partitions. I've booted IBM G8124 firmware on the EX series in the past lmao. If you want it even more directly, just stop it in u-boot and tell it to boot into single usermode to /bin/sh. It's just u-boot + freebsd, it's not rocket science lol