Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
I've got a 6610 which is not stacked, and I've removed the stack commands from the config. However, with brocade-branded 40G optics plugged in, and after running 'optical-monitor', if I try to look at them I get:

icx6610(config)#show optic 1/2/1
port 1/2/1 is a stacking port and not capable of digital optical monitoring.

If I plug it into one of the breakout ports, I get no output at all; exactly the same as with a Mellanox-branded 10G optic at the front.

Is this normal with the rear ports, or is there something else going on? The modules do show up as Vendor BROCADE with "show media validation".

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I have my 2 7250-24 switches stacked and working fine. No reason to upgrade firmware right now, but I'm curious how one does that given how tightly coupled they are when running stacked. Do you have to break the stack? Or do you just upgrade the secondary partition and boot from that via the console? Is it even possible to access the secondary/backup switch via IP? I'm not sure how you would even do that, given there is one management IP?

shattered

Nov 8, 2019
But I mean, if cost is no concern, then just pairing a UDM or UDM-Pro with whatever Unifi PoE switches for the cams and calling it a day is wise, plus you can have easy and safe remote access. I'm just disappointed with UBNT's actions in the last few years as I phase out my Unifi gear.

Hello,
cost is definitely a consideration.
I looked at ubnt gear and a usw-pro-24-poe (the only think that has atleast 15W power budget at each port simultaneously and at least 16+ ports) is a bit out of my budget.
I understand that a bit of oversubscription is ok on POE but I would rather have the extra power budget in order to accommodate future upgrades
On the other hand I found the review here for the CRS328-24P-4S+RM (mikrotik)
I can have a used icx (or something similar) shipped at around 220-250eur and a new mikrotik is about 330.
As I understand it, it should be adequate for my current needs and at least I have warranty for a while

In any case thank you for the reply/recommendation

fphillipeck

May 29, 2020
I bought a FCX648S roughly 6 months ago to do basic dot1q tagged vlans and regret every minute of it, havnt been able to make it do anything Ive wanted it to do yet... save yourself the hassle

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Another 7250-24 question: in the fastiron stacking guide it says that for the 10g ports, set-2 (1/2/5-1/2/8) support passive or active twinax cables, but set-1 (1/2/1-1/2/4) only support active. Yet, I took a spare passive twinax cable and connected 1/2/1 to 2/2/2 and the link came up. Is the documentation wrong, or does that limitation (somehow) only apply to stacking?

Port 1/2/1: Type : 10G Passive Twinax 1m (SFP+)
Port 2/2/2: Type : 10G Passive Twinax 1m (SFP+)

I'm planning on using the 4 remaining ports for LAGGs to the storage subnet on the 2 vsphere hosts in my lab, and I'd obviously rather not shell out $$$ for active cables, if I don't need to.

Last edited:

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
I bought a FCX648S roughly 6 months ago to do basic dot1q tagged vlans and regret every minute of it, havnt been able to make it do anything Ive wanted it to do yet... save yourself the hassle
Why don't you tell us what the problem is and we can help you. It's really not that hard: create the vlan and tag or untag the ports. You could even do it from the web gui if CLI is really that hard.

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Another 7250-24 question: in the fastiron stacking guide it says that for the 10g ports, set-2 (1/2/5-1/2/8) support passive or active twinax cables, but set-1 (1/2/1-1/2/4) only support active. Yet, I took a spare passive twinax cable and connected 1/2/1 to 2/2/2 and the link came up. Is the documentation wrong, or does that limitation (somehow) only apply to stacking?

Port 1/2/1: Type : 10G Passive Twinax 1m (SFP+)
Port 2/2/2: Type : 10G Passive Twinax 1m (SFP+)

I'm planning on using the 4 remaining ports for LAGGs to the storage subnet on the 2 vsphere hosts in my lab, and I'd obviously rather not shell out $$$ for active cables, if I don't need to.
Passive should work fine. It is recommended to stay with 1 or 3 meter but 5 should be ok. Anything longer will be a problem.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
A brief rant about idiotic reviews on Amazon. My workspace at home has an unmanaged netgear 8-port switch. Vanilla PoE, so the yealink IP phone works fine, but the new ruckus r710 next to it steps down power unless I use a DC adapter. I decided to upgrade the switch, and the ICX7150-C12P seemed perfect. Except out of 8 ratings on Amazon, it had 3.5 stars. I looked at them. 3 1-star reviews, one of which the switch supposedly died after a year, and the other 2? Non-techies frustrated they couldn't figure out how to configure it. The worst I have seen? Someone ordered a brand-new ubiquiti switch and left a 1-star review because the seller shipped them a used d-link switch! WTF???

Last edited:

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
Hi guys

just joined the club with my icx7150-48zp. But it’s missing it’s ears,

where can I find rack mount cheap, I’m not giving 50$ bucks for two pieces of bent metal

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
A brief rant about idiotic reviews on Amazon. My workspace at home has an unmanaged netgear 8-port switch. Vanilla PoE, so the yealink IP phone works fine, but the new ruckus r710 next to it steps down power unless I use a DC adapter. I decided to upgrade the switch, and the ICX7150-C12P seemed perfect. Except out of 8 ratings on Amazon, it had 3.5 stars. I looked at them. 3 1-star reviews, one of which the switch supposedly died after a year, and the other 2? Non-techies frustrated they couldn't figure out how to configure it. The worst I have seen? Someone ordered a brand-new ubiquiti switch and left a 1-star review because the seller shipped them a used d-link switch! WTF???
Maybe that's ok since they are not authorized resellers so folks who buy these are not going to get a warranty. Not Amazon or Ruckus's fault but may still lead to angry customers after the fact.

RandellH

Oct 18, 2020
So, the eBay seller was good, got my refund, and since they were quick about things, I went ahead and ordered the last one....and same problems. This time, it is only the POE led for port 21 that is stuck on, but same, 24 of those "BCM_ERR: while 'bcm_port_mdix_set' is Feature unavailable" errors on boot and plugging anything into ports 1 thru 24 does not activate a link, but plugging in ports 25 thru 48 will bring up a link.

This, after he said they tested all the ports.

I loaded SPR08080f firmware and factory set-default, just to be sure and that didn't change anything.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just another bad switch that failed the same exact way? I figured I'd check here before I send yet another one back. I am now hesitant to get another 7250.

ICX7250-48P

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
So, the eBay seller was good, got my refund, and since they were quick about things, I went ahead and ordered the last one....and same problems. This time, it is only the POE led for port 21 that is stuck on, but same, 24 of those "BCM_ERR: while 'bcm_port_mdix_set' is Feature unavailable" errors on boot and plugging anything into ports 1 thru 24 does not activate a link, but plugging in ports 25 thru 48 will bring up a link.

This, after he said they tested all the ports.

I loaded SPR08080f firmware and factory set-default, just to be sure and that didn't change anything.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just another bad switch that failed the same exact way? I figured I'd check here before I send yet another one back. I am now hesitant to get another 7250.

ICX7250-48P
Hmmm, I wonder if you are getting 'ebayed'? I bought 2 7250-24 units on ebay, but shelled out extra for two literal "never opened" units, and they were perfect. Also, though, mine are 24 port units, so... Hard to believe there is an issue with the 48 port units like this though.

Last edited:

RandellH

Oct 18, 2020
The return and replacement were cross shipped, so I know I didn't get the "old" one sent back to me. It was 2 different switches with the same issue. That's why I'm wondering "is it me", or "is there a known issue"?