Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
Hi all

Do any of you have the default config for the icx7250
I’m planning on getting it soon so would be nice if I could start on the config

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Hi all

Do any of you have the default config for the icx7250
I’m planning on getting it soon so would be nice if I could start on the config
Delete the saved config file and reload, it's as easy as that.

In those kind of devices, the "config file" contains really just the "non default" values.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fortytwo

Sep 26, 2020
As a new member of the forum I just wanted to say thanks to fohdeesha and everyone else for an awesome resource.

For reference to others: I just scored 6450-24p for $110 on eBay, shipped, and 10gbit lr transceivers for $14 each (and a mellanox connect x3 for $34 or so).

The switch isn't exactly quiet, but I guess by the corporate standards it is :) poe works great, config is great, my network is happy.

Reactions: fohdeesha

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
That's indeed 7 series only behavior. I would be able to make the 6 series guide much simpler if the config could be wiped with the press of a button instead of a serial cable :)
Oh, it can be completely reset without the console! Very easy!
Just completely disassemble the switch, remove the CR2032 battery, jumper the NVRAM erase (no header is provided,) power it on, power it off, reassemble, perform a 'no OS' recovery, and you're all set!
See? Easy! (Yes, ALL the sarcasm.)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Oh, it can be completely reset without the console! Very easy!
Just completely disassemble the switch, remove the CR2032 battery, jumper the NVRAM erase (no header is provided,) power it on, power it off, reassemble, perform a 'no OS' recovery, and you're all set!
See? Easy! (Yes, ALL the sarcasm.)
sadly the config is stored on the same main 64MB NOR flash as the OS and bootloader, the CR2032 is just to back the RTC :p ( I was given a "broken" ICX6610 that had a bad serial port, and a config locking all the regular ports. To get the config cleared I ended up having to dump the NOR via JTAG, find the config section and zero it out, then write it back - then I got a switch in the default state that would boot up and default to grabbing an IP via DHCP that I could log into and no longer need the serial port - if you just wipe the whole or most of NOR it won't have an OS to load or worst case no bootloader to load one (it's the bottom 512KB of NOR))

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
sadly the config is stored on the same main 64MB NOR flash as the OS and bootloader, the CR2032 is just to back the RTC :p ( I was given a "broken" ICX6610 that had a bad serial port, and a config locking all the regular ports. To get the config cleared I ended up having to dump the NOR via JTAG, find the config section and zero it out, then write it back - then I got a switch in the default state that would boot up and default to grabbing an IP via DHCP that I could log into and no longer need the serial port - if you just wipe the whole or most of NOR it won't have an OS to load or worst case no bootloader to load one (it's the bottom 512KB of NOR))
Oh, you will wipe the bootloader.
Restoring the bootloader using JTAG or soldering a replacement NVRAM to the board is covered in the 'no OS recovery' step. ;)

Reactions: dswartz

IronTek

Apr 3, 2020
I have a ICX 6450-48P and I was hoping to enable the other two SFP+ ports for 10Gbps operation. Is this possible and, if so, what steps need to be taken?

IronTek

Apr 3, 2020
Yes, it is possible, take a look at the first pages of this thread ;)
Sorry to sound dense, but I truly don't see it. It seems to require licensing, but other than that, I see no mention on the front page or the config guide on how to coax the other two ports into 10Gbps mode, though I fully admit I may have overlooked it.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Sorry to sound dense, but I truly don't see it. It seems to require licensing, but other than that, I see no mention on the front page or the config guide on how to coax the other two ports into 10Gbps mode, though I fully admit I may have overlooked it.
second line of the first post in this tread is telling you what to do. Please re-read. thank you.

IronTek

Apr 3, 2020
Got'cha. I was hoping not to have to bother anyone--or at least to find a guide on how to do it with a license first before I bothered. Thank you though for letting me know that is the route to take! Much obliged!

shattered

Nov 8, 2019
Hello, a bit of a networking newbie here.

I am thinking of upgrading my old cctv system and get an ip-based system
All I am looking for (at least for the time being) in a switch is poe+ power (with a power envelope to supply at least 15W at each port simultaneously) and vlans so that I can isolate the cameras+nvr from the outside world. 10gb ports will not be required for a long time for my setup (internet speed here is about 12mbps down/ 1up)
Noise is not a problem.
As I understand it, the icx-series is a bit overkill for my application.
Should I try with something like an icx 6450-24p or would it be too much of a hassle to configure for such a relative simple system?

Thanks,
shattered

[off topic]
If there is something with similar capabilities but more reliable/easier to acquire, please pm me. (I live in the EU)
[/off topic]

IronTek

Apr 3, 2020
In my opinion, if you want something robust, but don't want to be bothered, go buy something from Ubiquiti.

This route was pretty good in that it was much cheaper and there's definitely satisfaction in getting it to all work! YMMV.

RandellH

Oct 18, 2020
I think I got a bum switch from eBay. I got the ICX7250-48P. I noticed when I first powered on, the lights (right one) on port 3 and 8 are on, even with no plugged in. I went ahead and did a factory reset, load the latest firmware 0809d and verified the flash took, reboot multiple times.

I noticed no matter what, those lights remain on, and, ports 1-24 do not work. Nothing lights up when I plug a cable in any of those ports (except 3 and 8, they are always lit). If I plug into 25 thru 48, I get a light and I can ssh into the switch.

When using the HTTP interface, the monitor/front panel does not show ports 3/8 lit up, but shows 25 (the one I have plugged in) working. It seems like something is broken with the first 24 ports?

Any ideas?

Edit: I think it is a hardware problem. I get this 24x while booting:
BCM_ERR: while 'bcm_port_mdix_set' is Feature unavailable

First google hit was someone that had the error with another switch and it was a bad switch.

Edit 2:
I contacted Brocade about the warrant because their website says it has a warranty, but since I wasn't the original purchaser, they won't honor it.

--

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you are correct the unit has warranty. To avail the warranty, you should be a registered user.

If you have purchased the device from Ruckus Authorized Re-Seller, kindly contact them to register your company account with Ruckus.

If the unit is not purchased from Ruckus Authorized Re-Seller, kindly contact Ruckus Sales Team to purchase the contract for assistance. You can contact Ruckus Sales Team by following the below link.

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
You need to resolve the issue with the eBay seller, not Ruckus. With very few exceptions you will not get the support you typically expect from a manufacturer when buying through eBay. This is the reason why they're so inexpensive.
indeed, Ebay is really good about this and sides with the buyer rather quickly 99% of the time, you should get your money back fairly easily

Reactions: RandellH

virulent

Jul 3, 2019
In my opinion, if you want something robust, but don't want to be bothered, go buy something from Ubiquiti.

This route was pretty good in that it was much cheaper and there's definitely satisfaction in getting it to all work! YMMV.
To be fair, if you want to do the VLANs you need either a USG/UDM gateway or a router that can handle the cam's VLAN traffic. The ubiquiti "Pro" L3 switches claim to support L3 in all of their marketing material but have never actually worked to this day and it's been on sale for months. You still need a USG for inter-VLAN routing.

For the upfront hassle, totally. Everything can be on-device with a Brocade and the WAN router (which could be something super basic for a 12/1 link) isn't potentially overloaded with NVR (totally depends on # of cams).

But I mean, if cost is no concern, then just pairing a UDM or UDM-Pro with whatever Unifi PoE switches for the cams and calling it a day is wise, plus you can have easy and safe remote access. I'm just disappointed with UBNT's actions in the last few years as I phase out my Unifi gear.