Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
So if you look in the 8095 firmware zip, you'll see a new ICX7550 folder - a product that hasn't been announced. I don't think they meant to include it yet, but I'm not sure. The release notes say that no hardware support is added in this GA release, but 8095a will add ICX7550 support. However it's already in there. I had a dig around and found pretty much nothing on the product, except an internal-only confidential marketing report from a Ruckus russian branch, including some great memes -

You can see the full PDF here: https://livemarketolog.ru/upload/iblock/236/23662f70a5408e12516ee20308e73f9b.pdf

so it seems the ICX7550 will be aimed towards large multigig next gen wifi installs. Extracted the device tree and nix filesystem out of the firmware and found it's codenamed Godzilla and is running a BCM56370. It seems 8095 is also finally running a much later linux version:
Code:
Linux version 4.14.48 (swrel@l42-ub-ecbld-06) (gcc version 5.4.0)
That codename allowed me to finish my list of codenames and ASIC models for the 7 series (most of the startup scripts and u-boot environment settings only use the codenames, not the model name):

Code:
# Brocade / Ruckus Platform Codenames & ASICs

##ICX6xxx Series (Marvell)
-----
FCX = ???? (??? - Marvell Cheetah 3)

ICX6430 = Katara-L (??? - Marvell xCat2)

ICX6450 = Katara-H (??? - Marvell xCat2)

ICX6610 = Chow (98DX5178 - Marvell Cheetah 5)

ICX6650 = Pugio (98CX8297 - Marvell Lion 2)

##ICX7xxx Series (Broadcom)
-----
ICX7150 = MN Minion (BCM56160 - Broadcom Hurricane3)

ICX7250 = SI Sica (BCM56344 - Broadcom Helix4)

ICX7450 = SP Spatha (BCM56548 - Broadcom Firescout)

ICX7550 = GZ Godzilla (BCM56370 - Broadcom Trident3-X3)

ICX7650 = TN Tanto (BCM56565 - Broadcom Firebolt5)

ICX7750 = SW SideWinder (BCM56852 - Broadcom Trident2)

ICX7850 = MM MegaMind (BCM56870 - Broadcom Trident3-X7)

# Many models run the same software image
---

# Runs the SP image (eg SPR08095ufi.bin)
ICX7150
ICX7250
ICX7450

# Runs the GZ image (eg GZR08095ufi.bin)
ICX7550

# Runs the TN image (eg TNR08095ufi.bin)
ICX7650
ICX7850

# Runs the SW image (eg SWR08095ufi.bin) (The only PowerPC model & fw build remaining!)
ICX7750
I leave you with a bonus from my google adventure:

Last edited:

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
US Ebay is flooded with $150-$199 ICX7150-C12P switches. Is this because of the new generation of products coming to market?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Or End of Life/End of Sale? I have 3...some of those look new in box or close enough, I might grab one or two more just to have. Eventually I'm going to have a 7750-48f or 26Q as my core and setup the C12's as port extenders.

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
US Ebay is flooded with $150-$199 ICX7150-C12P switches. Is this because of the new generation of products coming to market?
I wouldn't call 27 total listings (not all switches) a flood.. especially not when some of the listings are very clearly nothing but scams.
However, with the economy and all the stores closing, I expect there to be a lot of Ruckus APs hitting the market at extreme discount prices.
No expectation of the 7150-C12's going EOL or EOS any time soon, either - current recommendation is 08.0.95GA.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Continuing the intermittent thread of folks seeking to quiet their 6450s, I installed a couple of the Sunon KDE1204PKVX and found that they created a terrible buzzing resonance when running at low speed. I replaced them with these Delta FFB0412HN-5T20, which are less expensive and vastly less obnoxious at low speed. They are not loud or annoying, but they are still audible (my switch sits directly behind my desk, approximately 1.5m from my head), so my search continues for a "silent" fan replacement. Although at this point, it's a bit silly, as these fans are effectively silent if I simply close the door to the closet where the switch sits.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
I wouldn't call 27 total listings (not all switches) a flood.. especially not when some of the listings are very clearly nothing but scams.
However, with the economy and all the stores closing, I expect there to be a lot of Ruckus APs hitting the market at extreme discount prices.
No expectation of the 7150-C12's going EOL or EOS any time soon, either - current recommendation is 08.0.95GA.
And what's interesting is that sellers are listing the 1G models for $600 and more, when you can buy a new one for $375!

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Need a sanity check on something. Home lab/soho setup:

2 VSphere 6.7 hosts in an HA setup.
4x2 raid10 of SAS NL drives using ZFS for the VSphere hosts.
2 APC UPS (one rackmount, one standalone I already had laying around)
an Eaton ATS fed by the two UPS.

So, I was thinking of replacing the current edgeswitch (24 ports) with some
kind of dual PSU switch, but the ICX units I've seen that have redundant PSU
seem way to expensive/noisy/power hungry. I then had the inspiration to go
with 2 7250 in a stacking setup. I don't push that much traffic through the
current setup, so 1gb stack port links are fine (although I wouldn't scoff at 10gb
if there are still licenses available.) Both VSphere hosts have an available 1gb
nic available for LACP. I need a 2nd VLAN with 3 ports for the pacemaker cluster
heartbeat subnet (the two hosts are running VMs with pacemaker for HA ZFS
storage - the jbod is dual head, that all already works). Does this seem like a
reasonable plan? Any hints/tips appreciated!

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Not being replaced for a long time and even after end of sale there will be 5 more years of warranty. If these listing are real, my guess is Lennar home owners that don't appreciate the awesome switch that came with their home.

Reactions: tommybackeast

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Need a sanity check on something. Home lab/soho setup:

2 VSphere 6.7 hosts in an HA setup.
4x2 raid10 of SAS NL drives using ZFS for the VSphere hosts.
2 APC UPS (one rackmount, one standalone I already had laying around)
an Eaton ATS fed by the two UPS.

So, I was thinking of replacing the current edgeswitch (24 ports) with some
kind of dual PSU switch, but the ICX units I've seen that have redundant PSU
seem way to expensive/noisy/power hungry. I then had the inspiration to go
with 2 7250 in a stacking setup. I don't push that much traffic through the
current setup, so 1gb stack port links are fine (although I wouldn't scoff at 10gb
if there are still licenses available.) Both VSphere hosts have an available 1gb
nic available for LACP. I need a 2nd VLAN with 3 ports for the pacemaker cluster
heartbeat subnet (the two hosts are running VMs with pacemaker for HA ZFS
storage - the jbod is dual head, that all already works). Does this seem like a
reasonable plan? Any hints/tips appreciated!
You can't stack with 1gig. Use a pair of 7250 or 7150 and a short 10gig twinax cable or preferrably 2 for added bandwidth and redundancy. Create an LACP (active) lag and toss your VLANs on it.

Reactions: dswartz

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
Continuing the intermittent thread of folks seeking to quiet their 6450s, I installed a couple of the Sunon KDE1204PKVX and found that they created a terrible buzzing resonance when running at low speed. I replaced them with these Delta FFB0412HN-5T20, which are less expensive and vastly less obnoxious at low speed. They are not loud or annoying, but they are still audible (my switch sits directly behind my desk, approximately 1.5m from my head), so my search continues for a "silent" fan replacement. Although at this point, it's a bit silly, as these fans are effectively silent if I simply close the door to the closet where the switch sits.
I thought I had mentioned the FFB0412HN-5T20 in my gigantic fan post of doom a couple pages back, but alas, I did not. I did mention the EFB, but they're very different fans. The FFB's also have a very... distinct harmonic because of the turbulence vanes on that family. So I generally hesitate to give them a blanket recommendation.
Here's the data sheet.
HN-5T20's not on the sheet because '5T20' is the function. Look to HN-R00/F00. 6500RPM, 10.59CFM (pretty high for the RPM,) 0.248inH2O, at 36dBA. However, several sites list the FFB0412 as not recommended for new orders. So Delta may be planning to discontinue it. (Would surprise me though. A LOT of companies use LARGE numbers of FFBs.) The EFB0412VHD-F00 I linked has similar performance but higher RPM, and lower noise due to frame and impeller differences.
As I said: there's a reason Delta is a top pick at every ODM and OEM, yours truly included. FFB0412's a great fan any way you slice it. Just a question of whether or not you like the harmonics. They are very unique.

By the way, I keep neglecting to mention, the reason the KDE1204's resonate is the same reason all MagLevs resonate. I've been positive for years that it's a motor design issue. They were designed for fixed 12V and just tach output. (I literally have piles of KDE1204's because they were the go-to fan for very-long-life fixed voltage applications.) The newer parts have a revised motor that mostly eliminates the harmonic problems when below 12V.

Reactions: adman_c

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
You can't stack with 1gig. Use a pair of 7250 or 7150 and a short 10gig twinax cable or preferrably 2 for added bandwidth and redundancy. Create an LACP (active) lag and toss your VLANs on it.
that's kinda what I was thinking. thanks!

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
So if you look in the 8095 firmware zip, you'll see a new ICX7550 folder - a product that hasn't been announced. I don't think they meant to include it yet, but I'm not sure. The release notes say that no hardware support is added in this GA release, but 8095a will add ICX7550 support. However it's already in there. I had a dig around and found pretty much nothing on the product, except an internal-only confidential marketing report from a Ruckus russian branch, including some great memes -

You can see the full PDF here: https://livemarketolog.ru/upload/iblock/236/23662f70a5408e12516ee20308e73f9b.pdf
Thank you @fohdeesha , interesting read and presentation.

Reactions: fohdeesha

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I thought I had mentioned the FFB0412HN-5T20 in my gigantic fan post of doom a couple pages back, but alas, I did not. I did mention the EFB, but they're very different fans. The FFB's also have a very... distinct harmonic because of the turbulence vanes on that family. So I generally hesitate to give them a blanket recommendation.
Here's the data sheet.
HN-5T20's not on the sheet because '5T20' is the function. Look to HN-R00/F00. 6500RPM, 10.59CFM (pretty high for the RPM,) 0.248inH2O, at 36dBA. However, several sites list the FFB0412 as not recommended for new orders. So Delta may be planning to discontinue it. (Would surprise me though. A LOT of companies use LARGE numbers of FFBs.) The EFB0412VHD-F00 I linked has similar performance but higher RPM, and lower noise due to frame and impeller differences.
As I said: there's a reason Delta is a top pick at every ODM and OEM, yours truly included. FFB0412's a great fan any way you slice it. Just a question of whether or not you like the harmonics. They are very unique.

By the way, I keep neglecting to mention, the reason the KDE1204's resonate is the same reason all MagLevs resonate. I've been positive for years that it's a motor design issue. They were designed for fixed 12V and just tach output. (I literally have piles of KDE1204's because they were the go-to fan for very-long-life fixed voltage applications.) The newer parts have a revised motor that mostly eliminates the harmonic problems when below 12V.
Yes, I should note that I read and very much enjoyed your "fan post of doom." Thanks a lot for that. I even went out and tracked down a couple of the gryphon fans to try out as my next victims. I don't mind the harmonics of the FFB0412s--as I said, they're vastly better than the Sunons they replaced. But I'm still looking for the holy grail here: ok cooling at very-near-silent. One more good thing about the FFB0412's I linked is that they're currently $8 for 2 at amazon, so the cost for determining whether you can tolerate their noise level is pretty low.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
I know you can get them on eBay for a reasonable price. I was thinking of listings like this, where the seller is offering an ICX 7150-C12P -- the 1G, not the 10G version -- for $899. That's crazy! You can buy a new one (from Provantage, for example) for $375.

crazy-price-7150-c12p.jpg