Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Premium is the name of one of the advanced routing licenses, doesn't have anything to do with the 10gb ports. The 10gb ports use a PoD license
I stand corrected. I guess my two switches just happened to include a 4 x 10G PoD license.

@StarsAndBars take note: you need to look for this license to get 4 x 10G SFP+ front-panel ports:
Code:
2        Node Lock       ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD    dzmHKHMlFmK    Normal      Active      Unlimited         4
But, as @fohdeesha said, contact him for add'l activation info.

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi

I am somewhat unfamiliar with the Brocade ICX switches and recently obtained an FCX-648E to explore and learn.

I have upgraded it to the latest firmware and applied the relevant Advantage licences. Now I have a fully operational switch with the 4x10G ports all active.

I am struggling to find a way to gracefully shut this switch down!

I have explored a lot of the documentation and the command menus but have not found any relevant command.

I see from the Brocade documentation for other switches that SysShutdown is used, but that does not work on this switch

Is there any command like the Mellanox - Reload Halt?

I really don’t like just switching off the power at the socket.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

RedX1

there's no "off" command, the OS and flash runs in read only mode and is designed to be hard powered off at any time except for when writing to memory (when you save config changes with the "write memory" command)

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
there's no "off" command, the OS and flash runs in read only mode and is designed to be hard powered off at any time except for when writing to memory (when you save config changes with the "write memory" command)
Hi

Thanks so much for confirming this and for all your input about these Brocade switches.

Chapeau bas!

RedX1

Reactions: fohdeesha

Kozhuharov

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all. I am the happiest person after my registration. I loved this thread after two days of reading. Good job!

I would like to buy one of those switches for my lab. I'm from Bulgaria (Europe).

Requirements:

24 POE (RJ45 1gbe ports) and minimum 4x10gbe SFP+.

Please p.m. me with offers.

ps: I'll post a thread on wtb/fs forum tomorrow.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Hi all. I am the happiest person after my registration. I loved this thread after two days of reading. Good job!

I would like to buy one of those switches for my lab. I'm from Bulgaria (Europe).

Requirements:

24 POE giga ports and minimum 4x10gbe spf+.

Please p.m. me with offers.

ps: I'll post a thread on wtb/fs forum tomorrow.
I don't think Brocade ever made any switches with "giga" ports and/or "spf+". I don't think they were trying to protect the switches from sunlight...

They do and did make switches with 1/10/xx gbps and/or SFP+/QSFP+ etc etc ports.

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
Question all,

I bought some HP branded connectx-3 cards to use the 40g ports on my new 7450 as hypervisor uplinks. I'm planning to flash them to the stock mellanox firmware. I was going to order some DAC cables from FS, should I have them coded mellanox or brocade?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Question all,

I bought some HP branded connectx-3 cards to use the 40g ports on my new 7450 as hypervisor uplinks. I'm planning to flash them to the stock mellanox firmware. I was going to order some DAC cables from FS, should I have them coded mellanox or brocade?
they don't need to be coded for either, both mellanox and brocade will take anything. take your pick

Reactions: EngineerNate

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Question all,

Yeah the brocade will take anything- including cables coded as QSFP instead of QSFP+. The Mellanox cards are more picky but the CX-3 is a LOT better then a CX-4

One way to check the cable is to use debug console as told by The Fohdeesha and check the EEPROM.

Stay away from the uber cheap NetApp cables, monoprice cables and also any Cisco cables are a “too good to be true” deal.

The thickness of the cable does NOT guarantee quality.

I’ve had most luck with branded Mellanox and FS.com cables

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Reactions: tommybackeast

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Do the SFP+ ports on the 7150-C12 support 2.5/5Gbps speeds when used with a 2.5/5Gbps SFP+/RJ45 adapter (e.g. Mikrotik S+RJ10)?

kache

Jun 27, 2020
Hi,

I'd like to ask the seller of a very cheap icx 6450 to send me more info to confirm that the ethernet ports and the poe of the switch are functioning.

What are the first commands you guys run on a new Brocade to verify that everything is fully working?

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'd make a suggestion to "close" this thread at this point. (not referring to anyone specific) The reason?

There's enough information in the thread to answer 99.99% of the questions.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Did @fohdeesha make public the “special things“ he was going to make public? Would be a shame if we closed the thread before that ...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'd make a suggestion to "close" this thread at this point. (not referring to anyone specific) The reason?

There's enough information in the thread to answer 99.99% of the questions.
why do that when we can circle the drain endlessly answering the same questions over and over again making me question if time is even progressing or if I'm stuck in some hellish bill murray based nightmare