Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
$450 is an incredible price for a 7750, it's up to you if you want to deal with the power/noise. The ICX7450 would be next if you want the latest OS and all features (bgp VRFs etc). oddly the modules for them are like 30 dollars, so you can fill the module slots pretty cheaply after finding a 7450 (at least the 40gb and 10gb SFP modules are under 50 bucks, havent looked at the copper offerings)
I spent between $100 and $125 per module to outfit my ICX7450 with 3x ICX7400-4x10GC (copper) modules. One of them was NIB from a well-known memory manufacturer. I do shop for bargains, but I also look for sellers with a good reputation - sometimes the cheapest option is not the best option.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
they're beefy routers, they draw at least 200w and are going to be louder than any other switch listed in this thread, but they're good boxes. pair of them is running my transit/colo in new york. would not use at home
That's funny, I was looking at the 7750-48GC auctions and planning to send you an email. Then I saw "typical" power consumption of 511W, acoustics at 62dBa, and 2,000 BTU/hr dissipation o_O I'm all into enterprise performance at home, but that's a bit much unless you really need 48x10GbE.. and at that point, I would be looking at the Arista 7050TX.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
I'm probably going to sell my fully licensed VDX6740 48x10GbE with 4x40GbE and use the 6610 I got with PoE. Both are nice switches, the 6740 is slightly quieter and uses slightly less power than the 6610. Fohdeesha helped get the 6740 up and running properly with replacing the CF card that was faulty. Both are in my rack currently but I've been liking the 6610 more than the 6740 to work with. That and the 6740 is all SFP+ slots so I have to have gbics for a lot of stuff.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
so uhhhh...did nobody see the ICX6610-24P listing for $78? He had two of them, been up for weeks and I managed to resist for most of it. I finally gave in and offered $70 each for both of them and he took it. I'm drowning in ICX
Damnit! from EU :D... did you hear that down there? :D

Good catch! Overseas the prices are way higher and they aren't as common on eBay. Ordering from the US isn't wort... shipping adds quite a chunk of money, and on top of that there are VAT and import duties...

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
so uhhhh...did nobody see the ICX6610-24P listing for $78? He had two of them, been up for weeks and I managed to resist for most of it. I finally gave in and offered $70 each for both of them and he took it. I'm drowning in ICX
I saw, thought about it....Just don't need the extra power draw of the 6610. Why can't i get a deal like that on a 6450-24p?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I saw, thought about it....Just don't need the extra power draw of the 6610. Why can't i get a deal like that on a 6450-24p?
Funny enough they're going to end up saving me power - home network stack is 2x 6610-48Ps for redundancy, changing that over to 24 port versions instead should save me about 70 watts total between the two of them (2x 80w instead of 2x 115w). That's how I'm justifying buying more of these anyway

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
Funny enough they're going to end up saving me power - home network stack is 2x 6610-48Ps for redundancy, changing that over to 24 port versions instead should save me about 70 watts total between the two of them (2x 80w instead of 2x 115w). That's how I'm justifying buying more of these anyway
Just curious, how many icx series switch you have at home?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Just curious, how many icx series switch you have at home?
I honestly don't want to count or I'll realize the extent of my problem. I would guess around 20. At least one of every model they've ever made, including the old Foundry lineage stuff (GS, FESX, FCX, SuperX, etc)

here's just the boxes I have set aside for our LAN party events:

Last edited:

OptimusPrime

Apr 21, 2020
Hi all. I’m trying to make the Dell 57819S 10Gbe dual RJ45 NICs to work on Windows 10 Pro. They install without issue, but the activity lights do not illuminate when I plug them into my 6450 switch, normal Gigabit ports.

Has anyone made this card work in Windows 10 (not as a VM)?

NIcDM.PNG

I have transceivers coming for the switch, but they won’t arrive until next week. For the moment, I’m just trying to make a basic connection to test they are not DOA from the seller.

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I honestly don't want to count or I'll realize the extent of my problem. I would guess around 20. At least one of every model they've ever made, including the old Foundry lineage stuff (GS, FESX, FCX, SuperX, etc)
The first step is to admit that there's a problem.. ;)

:D :D

Hi all. I’m trying to make the Dell 57819S 10Gbe dual RJ45 NICs to work on Windows 10 Pro. They install without issue, but the activity lights do not illuminate when I plug them into my 6450 switch, normal Gigabit ports.

View attachment 14119

I have transceivers coming for the switch, but they won’t arrive until next week. For the moment, I’m just trying to make a basic connection to test they are not DOA from the seller.
I cannot find the exact model online, but if it's copper 10GBase-T, make sure in the connection properties that you allow negotiation at 1Gbps.
You can make a basic test jumping with the cable the two NIC ports, they should come up at 10G strraight away.

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
Has anyone else updated their switches (atleast ICX 6110) to the 8.0.30u image?

I updated my homelab switch last night and although it's working normally, the temperatures reported jumped way up. Prior to the update, the CPU temp was reporting around 50-52C for the past year consistently according to my LibreNMS graphs. Starting after yesterday's update, the CPU temp is consistent at about 65C.

The switch is in my basement and temps there remain fairly consistent year round with no spike last night. No other servers in the rack show any temperature deviations.

The switch is nearly idle at all times, the CPU load never shows above 1%. It does my Layer3 switching with ACLs, and has 10Gbit links to the servers and an ICX6450. Only 3 PoE devices are plugged into it (VoIP phone, Unifi AC-Lite, Reolink IP camera).

Code:
SSH@brocore>show ver
  Copyright (c) 1996-2016 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Apr 23 2020 at 13:17:12 labeled as FCXR08030u
                (10545591 bytes) from Primary FCXR08030u.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.30uT7f3
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 370695, Version:10.1.00T7f5 (grz10100)
  HW: Stackable ICX6610-48-HPOE
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6610-48P POE 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BXP2502J2B8
         License: ICX6610_ADV_ROUTER_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: dzrHKFHlHdN)
         P-ENGINE  0: type E02B, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type E02B, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6610-QSFP 10-port 160G Module
UNIT 1: SL 3: ICX6610-8-port Dual Mode(SFP/SFP+) Module
  800 MHz Power PC processor 8544E (version 0021/0023) 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 15 hour(s) 33 minute(s) 10 second(s)
The system started at 20:14:07 Eastern Fri May 15 2020

The system : started=warm start         reloaded=by "reload"   

SSH@brocore>show cha
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  BBY   
        Firmware Ver:    A
Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  FRW   
        Firmware Ver:    A
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2

Fan controlled temperature: 66.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->76       deg-C
                Speed 2:       71<-----> 80 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
Fan 2 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back                       
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 53.0 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 57.5 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 65.0 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 59.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 55.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 41.0 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 59.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 68.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 80.0 deg-C
Side note, was anyone else's account deleted with the new forum switch? @fohdeesha , can you please PM me the private switch site info again since it was in my deleted account's inbox?

Wesumat

Oct 16, 2019
Germany
Hi,

are you running an FCX Image? Maybe the experts can give you an hint. I‘ve updated an ICX6450-24P to the the latest *u Image, couldn‘t mention any reasonable increase in temperature besides the normal deviation.

rosaage

Sep 25, 2019
After randomly searching on ebay for switches I managed to stumble into this thread after googling some other brocade switches. I have gotten hold of some cheap HP switches I'm planning to use for a lan party, basic 1gbit switches with LACP and I'm thinking of runing 2x1G from each switch to a core switch and then maybe connect to a PFsense box. I have lots of cisco 10G DAC cables and 2 2x10GbE network cards I can use for a cache server or something. and was looking for something decent to use for a core switch, with 10G uplink.
The ICX6610 seems very nice for my use with multiple 10G ports and even 40G if I want to upgrade.
Would this be good, or are there better alternatives? I have a Cisco RJ45 serial cable, is this the same type of cable as used in brocade switches?
I saw in a post:
got a link with a 8G Fiber Channel optic
What does this mean? I have a massive amount of brocade 8g modules, and some fc switches from an old san. Can they be used for something other than FC? or is it just that the switch maybe can switch FC traffic?

Finally: Anything else I should know before buying?

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
What does this mean? I have a massive amount of brocade 8g modules, and some fc switches from an old san. Can they be used for something other than FC? or is it just that the switch maybe can switch FC traffic?

Some switches, like my VDX6740, have flex ports that can be either FC or ethernet.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
That's what I need to do, get a 6610-24p or similar to bring power down. Just got such a good deal on the 48p one that I can have it powered on a long time before I eat up that savings. I need to get another one for putting out in my out building once it's built so I can just stack them with the 40Gb optics I have.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities

View attachment 14119

Active vs Passive DAC? I know the HP cards I have refuse to light up on my 6610 with active DAC.

aidenpryde

Apr 30, 2020
I just received the ICX6450-24, and the fan... is noisier than I expected. Can I replace it with a 3-pin Noctua or something that's quieter? I doubt I'll be hammering the switch very hard as it will only have 10 devices hooked up at most.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I just received the ICX6450-24, and the fan... is noisier than I expected. Can I replace it with a 3-pin Noctua or something that's quieter? I doubt I'll be hammering the switch very hard as it will only have 10 devices hooked up at most.
This might help:

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
I have a Cisco RJ45 serial cable, is this the same type of cable as used in brocade switches?
I saw in a post:

Yes, Cisco-style rolled console cable works perfectly fine in every Brocade unit that has an RJ-45 style console port.

I've used a FC optics in an ethernet link, and I said that just for evidence that those switches aren't picky about optics. They DO NOT support FC protocol or InfiniBand, just Ethernet; the optics btw for 8G FC and 10G ethernet are pretty similar, and some models will work in both platform. Don't count on it though, try only if you have on hand some FC optics, don't go and buy those instead of 10G ethernet ones.

The most important things to know about are written in the first few pages and on the wonderful documentation that @fohdeesha built, also linked in the first message of this thread.