Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
OK I did some additional testing and it looks like the ports 1/1/1 to 1/1/3 are working as when I plug them into a PC, it connects, but shows as unidentified network instead of my domain name. Also shows as down in the show interface brief even though the computer does see a network plug plugged in. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
I wiped the config and started over and now all ports are working. Only issue I am running into now is the CPU temp is at 74.5 so the fans keep revving up every s often. I am assuming 74.5 is pretty high for the CPU?

The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
Model Number: 23-0000142-02
Serial Number: 4VR
Firmware Ver: B
Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction: Front to Back
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
Serial Number: 1DG
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction: Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2

Fan controlled temperature: 74.5 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
Speed 1: NM<----->76 deg-C
Speed 2: 71<-----> 80 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction: Front to Back
Fan 2 Air Flow Direction: Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 52.0 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 62.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 74.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 54.5 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 59.0 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 43.0 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
Warning level.......: 77.0 deg-C
Shutdown level......: 80.0 deg-C

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
I did a bit more troubleshooting and found that if I have both power supplies plugged in the temp goes up. If I unplug the "whiny" one the temp goes down. Could I have a bad power supply?

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I did a bit more troubleshooting and found that if I have both power supplies plugged in the temp goes up. If I unplug the "whiny" one the temp goes down. Could I have a bad power supply?
It's certainly possible - might even be probable. Are you removing the PSU from the system, or just unplugging the power cord? With two Rev. B PSUs, I would expect them to sound the same (so if one is whining, could be bad fan or PSU). I would actually eject the PSU (meaning, pull it so it's unseated, but leave it halfway out to control airflow) and see if that matters too. The PSUs are both at least somewhat powered if both are connected.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I wiped the config and started over and now all ports are working. Only issue I am running into now is the CPU temp is at 74.5 so the fans keep revving up every s often. I am assuming 74.5 is pretty high for the CPU?

Serial Number: 4VR

Fan controlled temperature: 74.5 deg-C

Current temperature : 62.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 74.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 59.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 43.0 deg-C
those are pretty normal temps for a 6610, especially in slightly warmer ambient temperatures, and reason #32423 I tell people to not try to put even SLOWER fans in these things. My stack in a rack in a 75f room are sitting at 73c

Last edited:

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Do you have both power suppy with the same airflow direction? (ie., both exhausting out to the back or both to the front)... It shouldn't boot with mixed airflows, but to me it doesn't sound right that with less airflow the temps are lower...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Tried the optics again in the 6430

slave>show media e 1/3/1
Port 1/3/1: Type : EMPTY
Didn't like any of the Brocade optics I have (6 all the same PN)

slave>show media e 1/3/1
Port 1/3/1: Type : 10GE SR 300m ((SFP+))
Vendor: FINISAR CORP. Version: A
Part# : FTLX8571D3BCL Serial#: AKP0M1X
Did like the Finisar though

Looks like a no go on the downclock on the FCX:

telnet@XXXXX#conf t
telnet@XXXXX(config)#int e 1/2/1
telnet@XXXXX(config-if-e10000-1/2/1)#speed-duplex 1000-full-master
fail : port 1/2/1 is not a gig or cx4 port
telnet@XXXXX(config-if-e10000-1/2/1)#

So does this mean these two switches will not communicate over sfp regardless of optics? Or is it worth a shot to get a few 1G optics and try again? I'm a few days away from having the fiber run completed, glad I decided to try figuring out the connectivity before hand or I would have blamed the cables and that would have sucked after all the clay I've been digging through. Nothing like staying fit while on lockdown and learning networking to boot.
Thanks for all your help.
That's what I was afraid of. indeed, you have one device that will only clock at 10gbps, and another that will only clock at 1gbps. The easiest way around this with your existing equipment honestly is use a copper > fiber 1gbe converter off the FCX, then it can link over your fiber run to the icx6430. that'll also leave you 4x free 10gbe ports ***BRAND NEW TP-Link MC220L Gigabit Ethernet SFP Media Converter **SEALED*** 845973030476 | eBay

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
It's certainly possible - might even be probable. Are you removing the PSU from the system, or just unplugging the power cord? With two Rev. B PSUs, I would expect them to sound the same (so if one is whining, could be bad fan or PSU). I would actually eject the PSU (meaning, pull it so it's unseated, but leave it halfway out to control airflow) and see if that matters too. The PSUs are both at least somewhat powered if both are connected.
It seems to heat up faster when the second power supply is plugged in. I just have it unplugged and I have not tried to pull out the power supply as you have suggested. I will see what that does when I get the chance.

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
Do you have both power suppy with the same airflow direction? (ie., both exhausting out to the back or both to the front)... It shouldn't boot with mixed airflows, but to me it doesn't sound right that with less airflow the temps are lower...
Both power supply have the same airflow direction.

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
those are pretty normal temps for a 6610, especially in slightly warmer ambient temperatures, and reason #32423 I tell people to not try to put even SLOWER fans in these things. My stack in a rack in a 75f room are sitting at 73c
I totally get that these things run hot, the weird thing to me is how the temp increases when I plug in the power supply 1 and only leave power supply 2 plugged in. I keep running show chassis and you can literally see it creeping up quickly until the fans kick on full blast and cool it down to 71 degrees and then starts the process all over. Once I unplug power supply 1, it sticks around 71.5 to 73 degrees and I never hear the fans kick into full speed.

Lastly, I tried what Wolfstar suggested in a post above and pulled out the entire power supply 1, and the temps dropped to 66.5! Maybe it's because it has some additional open area to allow for cooler air to get in? How can I check and see if the power supply is actually bad? I want to try and get some money back from the seller if that is the case. I'm fine without the redundancy if I can just continue to run the switch on a single power supply.

Also the power supply 1 I pulled is a rev B if that makes a difference. I am gonna pull the other power supply tomorrow to make sure it is a rev B as well unless there is a way to do that through the CLI.

Power supply 1 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 67.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 46.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 61.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 66.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 55.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 50.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 49.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 57.0 deg-C

anrusakov

Jan 4, 2020
Hi,
I got stack of 2 ICX 6610 (stack port 1/2/1 and 1/2/6 , all other ports are configured to work with 10G)

Need a bit of help with fanout (Breakout cable)
I got Volex cable QSFP->4*SFP+

Cable is brand new.

show media e 1/2/2
Port 1/2/2:Type : 40G QSFP-SR4
Vendor Name: Volex Inc. Serial Num: 300428214282004 Revision: E

Strange part ...

2nd Cable port - 1/2/4 - link led ok, active led is blinking - seems everething is ok.
3rd Cable port - 1/2/5 - link led ok - but active led is dead
1st and 4th Cable port - no link - nothing at all.

I got 4 cables - all with same problems.

Is there a chance to make it work, oк better to buy another one?

P.S.
I read 20+ pages and found a lot of questions regurding fanout cables.
Dell cable is verified solution, but it cost more then switch :eek:

AiC

Oct 28, 2018
Is there a way to have my ICX6450 shutdown when my UPS is low on battery?
We just had some storms roll through the other day and it got me thinking. My pfsense box shuts down and I have my freenas box setup to shut down as well. Should I worry about that with my switch?
Thanks

Nitefox18

Apr 6, 2020
I totally get that these things run hot, the weird thing to me is how the temp increases when I plug in the power supply 1 and only leave power supply 2 plugged in. I keep running show chassis and you can literally see it creeping up quickly until the fans kick on full blast and cool it down to 71 degrees and then starts the process all over. Once I unplug power supply 1, it sticks around 71.5 to 73 degrees and I never hear the fans kick into full speed.

Lastly, I tried what Wolfstar suggested in a post above and pulled out the entire power supply 1, and the temps dropped to 66.5! Maybe it's because it has some additional open area to allow for cooler air to get in? How can I check and see if the power supply is actually bad? I want to try and get some money back from the seller if that is the case. I'm fine without the redundancy if I can just continue to run the switch on a single power supply.

Also the power supply 1 I pulled is a rev B if that makes a difference. I am gonna pull the other power supply tomorrow to make sure it is a rev B as well unless there is a way to do that through the CLI.

Power supply 1 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 67.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 61.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 66.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 55.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 50.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 49.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 57.0 deg-C
I ended up pulling out the switch from my rack and moving power supply 1 into to slot 2 and power supply 2 into slot 1. Ran great while out of the rack and nothing connected, but once I put it in the rack and plugged in both power supplies along with all of my network cables, every 5 minutes or so the fans have to kick on full speed to cool it down again. I decided to just pull out the suspect power supply and run off a single power supply. This is a home lab anyways so no need for redundancy. I guess I always have a potential backup I can throw in just in case my other one dies, but right now I am sitting at 65.5 degrees running on a single PSU and open on the other.

Power supply 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 65.5 deg-C

Speed 1: NM<----->84 deg-C
Speed 2: 79<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Current temperature : 45.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 65.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 56.0 deg-C
Current temperature : 48.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 31.0 deg-C
Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
We just had some storms roll through the other day and it got me thinking. My pfsense box shuts down and I have my freenas box setup to shut down as well. Should I worry about that with my switch?
Thanks
I don't think there is a command for that.

Personally I would run the switches & routers as long as possible and shutdown servers/clients at like 50% battery.

Reactions: AiC

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks
they're designed to have the power pulled from under them, it's not an issue

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Does anyone have a design or a link to a design for 3D printed rack mount ears for the ICX 6450?
Please and Thank you,
Matt

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Does anyone have a design or a link to a design for 3D printed rack mount ears for the ICX 6450?
Please and Thank you,
Matt
Even the relatively light 6450 should not be using a 3D-printed rack mount - the odds of the mount cracking under the weight and the switch plummeting to its doom is very high.

You'd be better off getting either a standard rail shelf (like this one: Adjustable Rack Mount Server Shelf Shelves Rail Rails 1U 695974747404 | eBay) or maybe a regular shelf and using that.

I have that shelf (and that listing is straight from the manufacturer), and for about 8 months I had that exact shelf holding a fully-loaded 5U Intel SC5600LX Pedestal case with 14 hard drives in it. The only "damage" was to the washers I used with the cage nuts/bolts. It'd hold any switch you would want to run in a homelab with ease, and I'd even consider it (and I'm a network engineer) as a valid support option for chassis switches.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Yeah I was worried about that... I can't believe how difficult it is to find some damn rack ears for these things.
Thank you @Wolfstar
I actually have a set of the Adustable Rack Mount shelves you were talking about, but I want something to hold the ICX6450 in a network rack.