Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
After your help in the other thread, I decided to 'live dangerously' and install the latest FW on my ICX7250-48P and try out the maangement/monitoring connection between Unleashed APs (R510 for me) and the switch. I can't get it to connect. Did some digging and found this thread:

Unleashed connection to ICX | Ruckus Wireless Customer Community

It was a little over my head, but maybe you guys can make sense of it. Would be cool to have something closer to a single pane of glass if it worked.

As an aside - no issues with the latest FW on the switch yet, though I'm not doing anything very advanced. The AP works great and I've ordered a second one.
I am on Ruckus r510 200.8 firmware + Brocade 7250 8080e (from fohdeesha on page 1)

Just installed the Ruckus r510 last night (lol; took 3 tries to Factory Reset :( [user error I am sure]; and have not had time to really delve into the admin screens other than quick look. But need to find an hour to really read the manual.

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
New Question 2.
I have not played with wifi Heat Maps in years. I appreciate many Wifi HeatMaps for iOS have nasty code and call home with my information.

Thus : can you suggest either a 'safe' WiFi Heat Map for a Windows laptop install or a 'safe' one for either iOS or Android.

Use case: making sure the single r510 is providing proper house overage before securing it to the wall.
NetSpot for Windows is what we use at work for generating coverage reports. Insert building blueprints and walk around taking measurements, easy peasy!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
More fun 8090 bugs, managed to lock an entire stack up by....attempting to change the router ID:

Code:
SSH@CHUNK(config)#ip router-id 204.68.252.167
IP: Errno(2) ITC not successful
why this is now the recommended codetrain, I have no clue. no issue on 8080

zanechua

May 6, 2016
I too went ahead and upgraded my APs to 200.8 and also got the message about bumping my ICX7450 to 8090 and above. hah. I haven't done the upgrade for the ICX7450 though.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
More fun 8090 bugs, managed to lock an entire stack up by....attempting to change the router ID:

Code:
SSH@CHUNK(config)#ip router-id 204.68.252.167
IP: Errno(2) ITC not successful
why this is now the recommended codetrain, I have no clue. no issue on 8080
thanks, my Brocade 7250 shall stay on the "fohdeesha approved" 8080 firmware version.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
For anyone that wanted 6450 rack ears, I finally got the part to fix my bending brake. With all the confusion over weather these were 6610 or 6540, and tons of PMs, I'm going to drop the price and just let everyone use this button. I have 5 sets and pretty much just want to get rid of them, button is set to stop working after they're gone.

IMG_20200307_153527.jpg

Reactions: itronin

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
For anyone that wanted 6450 rack ears, I finally got the part to fix my bending brake. With all the confusion over weather these were 6610 or 6540, and tons of PMs, I'm going to drop the price and just let everyone use this button. I have 5 sets and pretty much just want to get rid of them, button is set to stop working after they're gone.

View attachment 13207

Thank you, I just bought two sets off of you!

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I have had 6450-24's since the beginning of this thread and they have been working great.

I am now starting down the path of IP PoE cameras and I just picked up a 6450-48P today but I have a problem.
The switch doesn't boot. I plug it in and I hear a relay type of click but that is it. No fans. no lights. Made sure to plug into a 20A outlet.
Any suggestions on where to start? Ebay seller listed in good working used condition but ad says no returns...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have had 6450-24's since the beginning of this thread and they have been working great.

I am now starting down the path of IP PoE cameras and I just picked up a 6450-48P today but I have a problem.
The switch doesn't boot. I plug it in and I hear a relay type of click but that is it. No fans. no lights. Made sure to plug into a 20A outlet.
Any suggestions on where to start? Ebay seller listed in good working used condition but ad says no returns...
switch is dead, file an ebay 30 day return, as far as I remember it's completely against the rules to refuse returns on blatantly broken/not as described equipment, putting "no returns allowed" in the description does about as much as those chainmail posts on facebook saying "mark zuckerberg is not allowed to use my pictures"

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
switch is dead, file an ebay 30 day return, as far as I remember it's completely against the rules to refuse returns on blatantly broken/not as described equipment, putting "no returns allowed" in the description does about as much as those chainmail posts on facebook saying "mark zuckerberg is not allowed to use my pictures"
I messaged the seller and they said they had another that they were going to just ship to me. Hopefully they will pack it with bubble wrap this time. It literally came with a cardboard cover, no packing material at all. I am guessing it was maybe damaged in transit. I even opened it up, blew out the dust bunnies, unplugged and plugged back in all internal power connectors, but couldn't see anything physically wrong.

Thanks!

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Throughout the day, errors like this (debug was enabled for this one) appear in the log:
ICX7450-48 Switch>
stack: 01864cac 01865bf4 01869698 b6e2abd0 b6f29195
1:_bcm_esw_linkscan_update_port: Port ge18: bcm_port_info_get failed: Operation failed
1:_bcm_esw_linkscan_update_port: Port ge18: Link Up with Speed 0M!
It looks like I've resolved this issue, but the solution raises more questions than answers. It was clear to me the Sony Bravia XBR televisions or the cables were triggering these port errors... not the ICX7450 itself. I thought it might have to do with electrical interference and so purchased a few Ethernet galvanic isolation modules (Network Isolator MED MI 1005). After installing them on the runs connected to the televisions, the frequent errors on the switch disappeared.

If you want to try this yourself, shop eBay for the isolation modules - retail price is around $160/each.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
All the bugs in that list were closed/fixed in this release so you'll get them, "found in" lists all the builds that the bug was present in (08.0.95 being a currently unreleased internal test train)

Reactions: tommybackeast

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
Wanted to give some info on swapping the fans in an ICX7250-48P. As fohdeesha's awesome original post says - it's quiet to start with, but this thing sits right next to me in my office so I wanted to go even quieter.

The 48P has 3 fans - in my case they're Nidec W40S12BGB5-52 T02. They're pretty whiney and I couldn't find any info about them on Nidec's site. I tried disabling one fan but the sound didn't decrease much, and the ASIC temperature went past 70 C (which made me uncomfortable).
https://i.imgur.com/lo5pTnw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JS3P3ok.jpg

Knowing the basic info about them (3-pin, 12V, 40x40x28mm, ~25 CFM, 18000 RPM, tach-controlled), browsed Digikey (their fan search tool is amaaaaazing).
DC Brushless Fans (BLDC) | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

Narrowed my options down to a few different Delta fans that I've had good luck with in the past. There's a lot of choices that appear to meet the specs for the Brocade, I went with the Delta FFB0412SHN-BF00 - they're slightly newer in design and quieter than its peers, coming in around 5 dB lower. They also run a max of 13000 RPM vs the Nidec's 18000 RPM (though I can't seem to manage to push it that high, ever).

The trick, apparently, with the ICX is that the pinouts are a littler weird - but the Deltas come without fan connectors, so you'll have to crimp them anyway. If anyone ever comes looking and isn't sure of the order, here it is:

PIN 1: Blue on Delta/Green on Nidec - Frequency
PIN 2: Red on Delta/Yellow on Nidec - Positive
PIN 3: Black on Delta/Black on Nidec - Negative
https://i.imgur.com/kBuMcNs.jpg

With the Deltas installed, the system is quieter - there's no whine, and less air noise. System controls the speeds and gives me speed/thermal data just like the stock fans. It has passed the wife-test noise-wise. Tinkering with the idea of trying out the Delta FFB0412VHN-BF00 - which runs at 9500 RPM but is another 6 or so dB quieter; significantly less air movement though.

Temperatures have remained in the mid-60s under decent load, which I'm quite happy with. Tried two fans vs three again, just for kicks, but again temps went higher than I was comfortable with, so sticking with three.
View attachment 13126
View attachment 13127

Special thanks to all the other posters that have contributed about fans on this thread, including fohdeesha and Skud - you guys gave me the confidence to drop some money and try this out.
Wanted to post an update on my infinite quest to silence an ICX 7250-48P (I run this thing in a fairly warm closet with bad circulation). Call me obsessive, but I wasn't a fan (no pun intended) of my temps creeping into the low 70s after my previous fan swap. I believe I have come up with the perfect silent solution for this rig.

Replace all 3 rear fans with the Mechatronics MR4020X12B1-RSR fan. They will read just fine in CLI. Then add a Sunon MF60101V3-1000U-A99 fan to the ASIC heat sink (you'll still have around 1/3" to spare in the case, plenty). Wire it in with Fan 3. All the fans are reduced load vs stock so they won't draw too much and the Sunon only has power and ground, so doesn't affect the read on Fan 3.

The switch now runs next-to-dead silent; temperatures on the ASIC dropped ~20 degrees over my previous configuration into the low to mid 50s degrees and the PSU is in the upper 20s which is great. Been running around a week, everything has been perfect. I'm in love.

Last edited:

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
1 rack ear set left, all others have been shipped. Producing these isn't really economical for me as a hobbyist, paying shipping for steel plate. Might have other sets come available sporadically, I can run a set or 2 whenever I have scrap from other projects that they'll fit on.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
All the bugs in that list were closed/fixed in this release so you'll get them, "found in" lists all the builds that the bug was present in (08.0.95 being a currently unreleased internal test train)
thanks for the info, but I don't change brocade firmware till you say its ok to update.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I have a very basic question for you experienced people...

it's taken me a damn year but I finally am brave enough to switch over to a pfSense dedicated box; and making VLANs. A friend and I both picked up Brocade 7250, a Ruckus r510 AP; and a dedicated PC for pfsense. Home network.

1. if VLANs are created on the pfsense box, does the layer 3 VLAN communication also occur on the pfsense box or can you create VLANs on pfSense box and then Layer3 them on the Brocade 7250 ?

2. is it easier/smarter/more-secure making VLANs on the Brocade 7250?and just let the pfsense box act as router with some packages running

3. I am right now starting at the Brocade 7250 WebGUI and see the VLAN section (don't understand it, but i see it). Can VLANs be made here or best practice to only use CLI (for a total network noob please note)

I have all the hardware : pfsense PC, Brocade 7250 with console cable, Ruckus r510 AP, two Synology NAS with 1GB & 10GB NIC ports, Dell Server with 1GB and 10GB NIC ports - ESXi - lots of VMs

Simply do not understand if VLANs get made on pfsense or Brocade; dont understand if the VLAN Layer3 communication takes place on the pfsense box or Brocade.

My friend was going to ask reddit today;' but I thought I would ask the brocade experts here....

I apologize in advance to all the IT Pros reading this :( for the basic nature of the question

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
about to head out but wanted to say thank you for the URL which I shall read later tonight.

from the URL you gave me, it starts with "With a layer 3 switch, the general recommendation is to either let the switch do DHCP duties (it can), or have a dedicated DHCP server that can handle VLANs (pfSense cannot, at this time...)."

My head is spinning from all the reading I've done the last few days; but am I nuts - doesn't pfSense current version 2.4.4 offer DHCP Server built in ?