Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
Quick question. I want to grab this ICX6450-24P : Brocade ICX6450-24P 24-Port Gig PoE Switch + 4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports) | eBay

The auction says "4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports)". Checking the awesome FAQ by fohdeesha https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/brocade/ICX6450 FAQ.pdf it says,

"A license (ICX6450-2X10G-LIC-POD) to upgrade the 1 GbE ports to 10 GbE speed is available and provides four 10 GbE ports per Brocade ICX 6450 Switch"

I just wanted to confirm that this will enable SFP+ and 10GbE speed on all fours ports for this specific switch i was looking at?

Thanks!
Yes it will, i just did mine :)

Reactions: legen

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Quick question. I want to grab this ICX6450-24P : Brocade ICX6450-24P 24-Port Gig PoE Switch + 4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports) | eBay

The auction says "4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports)". Checking the awesome FAQ by fohdeesha https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/brocade/ICX6450 FAQ.pdf it says,

"A license (ICX6450-2X10G-LIC-POD) to upgrade the 1 GbE ports to 10 GbE speed is available and provides four 10 GbE ports per Brocade ICX 6450 Switch"

I just wanted to confirm that this will enable SFP+ and 10GbE speed on all fours ports for this specific switch i was looking at?

Thanks!
Yup, will work as expected.
Im repeating, garo603 is a good seller for the 6450, got 6 units from him. Maybe we should start making a white/blacklist of sellers in this thread @fohdeesha

Reactions: legen and dashpuppy

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
Yup, will work as expected.
Im repeating, garo603 is a good seller for the 6450, got 6 units from him. Maybe we should start making a white/blacklist of sellers in this thread @fohdeesha

To bad he's in the UK, if that was in or Near Canada id scoop up one for a spare unit.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
What is everyone using for automation on your switches? One of my rules on my new rebuild is to have everything managed by automation, so things can quickly be replaced and reprogrammed exactly the same way.

I've found some Ansible examples by Brocade:

brocade/ansible

It doesn't seem to use ironware but some API/Python and ssh where the API is not supported.

I'd prefer a more ironware-centric interface. I've found ironware Ansible module but lots of people having issues with it.

I also prefer Ansible, but also have extensive experience with Chef and SaltStack as well. Puppet is another option, though I haven't used that much.

Thanks!

Reactions: ronclark

Maciej

Aug 12, 2016
What is everyone using for automation on your switches? One of my rules on my new rebuild is to have everything managed by automation, so things can quickly be replaced and reprogrammed exactly the same way.

brocade/ansible

It doesn't seem to use ironware but some API/Python and ssh where the API is not supported.

I'd prefer a more ironware-centric interface. I've found ironware Ansible module but lots of people having issues with it.

I also prefer Ansible, but also have extensive experience with Chef and SaltStack as well. Puppet is another option, though I haven't used that much.

Thanks!
On rukus's websit you can find ansible module for ICX (Ansible Modules for ICX | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support). I have not tested it yet but I'm going to check it.

Reactions: eduncan911

phiber23

Nov 20, 2019
I'm having lacp problems with FS.com SQFP+ breakout DAC cables. I have two 6610 in a stack configuration. When I use SFP+ cables my lacp come up fine but using a QSFP breakout dac the status is LACP-Blocked. Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening?

kur1j

Aug 12, 2019
I have a "sound sensitive" area I'm trying to get 3x 10Gbps ports to. It doesn't have to be silent but I have a 6610 and its just too loud for that area.

From the OP the Brocade ICX 6450 would fit the bill. From the sounds of it I could pull the fans and make it fanless? Has anyone done this and ran into any problem?

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
I have a "sound sensitive" area I'm trying to get 3x 10Gbps ports to. It doesn't have to be silent but I have a 6610 and its just too loud for that area.

From the OP the Brocade ICX 6450 would fit the bill. From the sounds of it I could pull the fans and make it fanless? Has anyone done this and ran into any problem?

You can replace the fans on the 6450. many people have done it and made them silent. I've replaced fans on 7150s and made them silent.

6610 fans cannot be modified or replaced and still work

kur1j

Aug 12, 2019
How loud is the 6450 non-poe 24 port in Decibels stock?

Which fans do you use to replace them with?

CED6688

Dec 4, 2019
I personally measured the 6450-24 (non-POE) from a meter away at just under 40db with stock fans. Some people have reported louder stock fans and have had to replace them to get acceptable noise levels, but if you’re comparing this to your 6610 (have one of these as well) it is not even close. I’ve yet to find a person who noticed any sound from my 6450 unless I point it out. I wouldn’t completely remove the fans, but do know that people have disabled all but one or replaced with even quieter ones. I have not.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

brocade/ansible

Thanks!

how often are you reconfiguring your home switch to need automation? If your goal is just to quickly replace or reprogram a new unit, ansible is a really roundabout way to do that for a switch. Just run "copy tftp startup-config backup.cfg" on a fresh unit to import the config of your last one and you're off to the races, that will be way quicker than getting a fresh unit into a state where ansible can talk to it and get it "deployed". I personally don't think I'd ever bother automating switch configs via ansible/puppet/etc outside of a really dynamic environment (like hosting) where the coming and going of customers/boxes/etc means you need to tear down and build complex ACLs on the fly, teardown and set up new VEs, that kind of thing (which is what the ICX ansible module was designed with in mind). can't imagine ever needing to do that at home. seems like headache for the sake of headache. However I understand this is STH and that's nearly the tagline of this place, so if that's the case go for it :p

Also the modules you linked are for brocades old fabric OS that runs on their infiniband gear, and the ironware stuff is for ironware which is the routing platform OS that runs on (now Extreme's) CER/MLX/SLX models. the only ansible stuff that will be of use on fastiron ICX models are the ones just released by ruckus linked earlier, and they're only for the icx7xxx series (well, only for 08.0.91, which only the 7 series runs)

Last edited:
Reactions: ronclark

anoother

Dec 2, 2016

Thanks!
Nice find!

I'm tempted by one of these also, bit won't have the ability to test it right connected up right now. Is there some in-built self-test routine, or a way to test using DACs between the switch ports etc.?

Also, has anyone tested these with nBase-T SFPs (eg. MicroTik)? I have a pair of 2.5GBase-T adapters I'd like to link up to.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Nice find!

I'm tempted by one of these also, bit won't have the ability to test it right connected up right now. Is there some in-built self-test routine, or a way to test using DACs between the switch ports etc.?

Also, has anyone tested these with nBase-T SFPs (eg. MicroTik)? I have a pair of 2.5GBase-T adapters I'd like to link up to.
if you have a serial adapter to watch switch output, it will generally tell you if something is wrong during boot. The only failure you really need to look out for is PoE boards getting fried, and if that's the case it'll complain a lot during bootup. If you want, you can stick SFP+ ports in different VLANs and connect them together if you want to confirm the ports link up. no Nbase-T support, only 10gbps (10gbase-T modules work fine, but no other speeds)

Reactions: anoother

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
I personally measured the 6450-24 (non-POE) from a meter away at just under 40db with stock fans. Some people have reported louder stock fans and have had to replace them to get acceptable noise levels, but if you’re comparing this to your 6610 (have one of these as well) it is not even close. I’ve yet to find a person who noticed any sound from my 6450 unless I point it out. I wouldn’t completely remove the fans, but do know that people have disabled all but one or replaced with even quieter ones. I have not.

I replaced mine now ! Dead silent !

Attachments

Reactions: CED6688

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
here's a list of ~800 hidden commands in fastiron. Due to the way the ghidra script ripped them out there may be some duplicates but I don't think there's more than a couple. These were pulled from an 8091 firmware image, so some may not work in switches running 8030, but most seem to. Some of these can and probably will mess your switch up and delete your config/licenses/hopes and dreams. I haven't had time to go through too many so if you find anything interesting report back

https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/brocade/FastIron-Hidden.txt

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
here's a list of ~800 hidden commands in fastiron. Due to the way the ghidra script ripped them out there may be some duplicates but I don't think there's more than a couple. These were pulled from an 8091 firmware image, so some may not work in switches running 8030, but most seem to. Some of these can and probably will mess your switch up and delete your config/licenses/hopes and dreams. I haven't had time to go through too many so if you find anything interesting report back

https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/brocade/FastIron-Hidden.txt
I tried the "dd temp-fanspeed" command with "?" and tab to see if FastIron had anything. I wasn't expecting anything, only curious. It didn't and instead I had to go physically reset the switch. The smart thing would have been to try on a switch I wasn't actively using, oh well.

Reactions: Cncjerry

TechGambino

Jan 25, 2019
I saw earlier in the thread there may have been an issue with passive DAC cables on the breakout ports. Was this confirmed?