Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ronclark

Dec 6, 2019
I upgraded from a dell switch 24 port power connect.
while plugging things in and moving things around.
i seem to notiest the devices sure grab there dhcp address fast.
Am imagining things?

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
I have 6450-24 (not POE), it's relatively quiet.

I also have 7250-24 and 7250-24P. They are both relatively quiet, the P version comes with 2 fan units, so temp is actually about 20C lower than non-P model so the fans might not work as hard as non-P version.

Maciej

Aug 12, 2016
Today I have received 6450-24p switch.
I've bought it in ebay Brocade ICX6450-24P 24-Port Gig PoE Switch + 4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports) | eBay Visually, it is almost perfect - slight signs of use.
Unfortunately, I cannot connect with the use of serial usb-ri45 cable (I'm using ch341 serial cable USB Bridge Controller CH341 - Jiangsu Qinheng Co., Ltd.). After Christmas break I'm planning to purchase other cable to check if it is going to work (maybe a serial port is broken in the switch).
Luckily, the access via the telnet and mgmt port is working. I've managed to update the firmware via tftp (bootloader/image/poe) from Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.30t Software Release (.zip) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support
The switch is too loud for me so I would have to replace fans in it (I'll do it later)
I have a question regarding a license and perhaps somebody could help me. I have the standard license installed ICX6450_BASE_ROUTER_SOFT_PACKAGE. Is it enough for simple l3 inter-vlan routing or do I need premium license?

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Today I have received 6450-24p switch.
I've bought it in ebay Brocade ICX6450-24P 24-Port Gig PoE Switch + 4 X SFP Ports (2 are SFP+ Ports) | eBay Visually, it is almost perfect - slight signs of use.
Unfortunately, I cannot connect with the use of serial usb-ri45 cable (I'm using ch341 serial cable USB Bridge Controller CH341 - Jiangsu Qinheng Co., Ltd.). After Christmas break I'm planning to purchase other cable to check if it is going to work (maybe a serial port is broken in the switch).
Luckily, the access via the telnet and mgmt port is working. I've managed to update the firmware via tftp (bootloader/image/poe) from Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.30t Software Release (.zip) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support
The switch is too loud for me so I would have to replace fans in it (I'll do it later)
I have a question regarding a license and perhaps somebody could help me. I have the standard license installed ICX6450_BASE_ROUTER_SOFT_PACKAGE. Is it enough for simple l3 inter-vlan routing or do I need premium license?
Basic license will do the job. Highly doubt the serial is broken, i have bought 6 6450 from garo603, all were working.

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
Alright, i'm done beating my head on this cement wall. I simply can't get any of my 10 gig ports to come on line event at 1 gig. 1-2 both worked pefectly before i factory reset it. I have no installed the license to enable thesecond set of port but still not able to get link light. Before you go and say try new cable or try this and that. This all worked before i cleared startup config. The cables had link and i was passing traffic. What am i missing ?

I went into the e 1/2/1 and enabled it did wr mem but still no luck. Reloaded still no link.. WTF am i missing !

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
Did you set the "speed" for those ports to 10g? At the relevant port config:

speed-duplex 10g-full

Actually i just figured it out. It needed to be set to 1gig to link up. once i did that in the web management it started working. Guess there is no such thing as "Auto"

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
1/2/1 and 1/2/3 can be set to 10g without a license, 1/2/2 and 1/2/4 require a license to be put into 10gb or else they will go into error-disable state

They are now licensed. however my issue was because I left them looking for a 10 gig link instead of a 1gig link.

Assuming, there is no way to set it to see "auto"

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
no, there is typically no auto negotiation between 10gbE and 1gbE, your optics will only support one or the other
Well, there are some optics that can work either as a 1G or 10G... but yea, the speed is imposed by the host controller, and there isn't any autonegotiation/autosensing... but with the right optics, you can switch from a 1G client to a 10G in a matter of seconds with a single command, without swapping the modules. ;)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well, there are some optics that can work either as a 1G or 10G... but yea, the speed is imposed by the host controller, and there isn't any autonegotiation/autosensing... but with the right optics, you can switch from a 1G client to a 10G in a matter of seconds with a single command, without swapping the modules. ;)
yep, hence the "typically" :)

Last edited:

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Hello all together,
I am using a brocade icx6610 24p directly behind my modem. A Fritzbox 6591.
Every device is connected to the brocade.
My problem is that in my setup I get asynchronous audio streams over time in my different zones.
I never had this issue before. It started when i starter using the brocade.

My devices connected to the brocade are:
- supermicro ryzen 3000 server with mellanox connectx-3 qsfp this is the music server. It runs roon on server 2019.
- Audio amplifier devialet expert pro directly attached to a rj45 port
- raspberry pi 3b with amplifier hat running roopiee directly connected.

These two Amp devices start audio synced and get async by time. Is there any setting to avoid something like this? Or should I focus on the devices?
I am a complete noob when it comes to tuning switches.

Thank you for your help and I wish you all a merry Christmas!