Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
Just a heads up to any one looking. There is a icx6650-56-e-adv on ebay right now. The seller countered with $300.

Debated on picking it up... but I grabbed an sx6036 for my 40gbe needs...

-Levi
Thats a very good deal on that one

Just a note - on least on my 6650, it is quite loud, and the fans spin up about every minute (it is very cool so I think that might just be how they work). I've swapped the fans and power supplies and it still operates the same.

It's buttcrunching powerful, but very noisy. Less so at idle, but when it spins up quite noisy. Idle isn't exactly a walk in the park. Much louder than my 6610s. Definately not something you would want in the same room you are in - I can hear it through my basement walls a little bit.

With that said it's pretty much an end-game switch (at least for me) power/connectivity wise for 10/40g.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Freddie

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for this excellent thread, just pulled the trigger on a 7150-C12P! Looking forward to setting it up and seeing how enterprise things work.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
No, 7150.
not worth buying. they typically sell for way too much (which is why they're not listed in the OP, I don't think they're a good value). Around ~$400 and they're functionally identical to the ICX6450 which you can get for ~$100 (both are 24/48 ports poe or non-poe with integrated power supply and 4x 10gbE). If for some reason you just want an icx7xxx series to say you have something newer, you can still get ones in the OP like the ICX7250 which has twice the 10gbE and more L3 features for a hundred dollars less (~$300)

ceorl yip

May 4, 2017
Anyone need licenses I only have 1.9660494e+39 left
Does this mean you are still handing out licenses?
I am looking to pickup some 6610-48 and 48p to swap out my dell 6248/cisco 6120xp setup. The enterprise license to play does terrify me greatly; I learned my lesson with the cisco 6120xp. Lucky for me you can flash them to nexus 5010 and use dac cable.

TY.

French Chamallow

Mar 15, 2019
I don't know exactly how the Xiaomi zigbee hub works, but as far as I know, multicast in the "consumer" domotic/IoT devices is used mainly for the discovery of the devices, as those communicate using some sort of mDNS query (Chromecast and Apple AirPlay/Bonjour are some notable example of these applications). If that's the case, you cannot route those requests, as those are sent to the multicast address 224.0.0.251 with a TTL=1; if you need to make those devices discoverable between VLANs you'd have to install an mDNS repeater software (say Avahi for example) on a VM/device with an interface on each network you want to listen from or repeat messages to (obviously you can trunk 'em on a single NIC, and make logical tagged interfaces on it).

Proper multicast routing is a whole different beast, and it involves pretty solid knowledge of IGMP, PIM routers and rendez-vous... knowledge that I don't have, unfourtunately, so on this topic I cannot help you much :(.

Googling a bit I've found this document: http://www.netadmin.us/docs/Multicast.pdf
I'm pretty sure that inside the beefy documentation that @fohdeesha has put togheter there are the exact commands and examples that you might need (yea, I've not read it entirely - yet).

Thank you InfoMatt for your message.
I confess that I have not really managed to do what I wanted. So I rather installed the server domoticz on a small raspberry pi I had to put it in the same vlan as that of the gateway Xiaomi.

my next thing to understand are the ACLs that I have never done in my life :)

SuperServer

Feb 1, 2019
Potentially a stupid question but I have a icx6610 took some form of voltage hit and is no longer booting.

Would one be able to simply remove the ram from the old switch and place it into the new one and be able to bypass the updating and licensing and need to reconfigure the modem to the previous configuration? Obviously assuming all things working?

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
Super bizarre but I just got my hands on a ICX7150-48P. I went to do a fan swap on it only to discover that there are not cut outs for exhaust venting on the back of the case for fans. I took the top casing off and of course, in place are mounted 2 fans right where they should be only blowing directly on a solid sheet metal wall. Either someone has replaced this top casing before or the factory messed up and didnt do the fan exhaust cut outs on this.

Freddie

Sep 25, 2019
7150-C12P arrived, yay. It was running the L2-only firmware but fohdeesha's excellent guide fixed that, all updated and licensed now. My new cables and NICs won't arrive until next week some time, hopefully I'll have some idea what I'm doing by then?

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Super bizarre but I just got my hands on a ICX7150-48P. I went to do a fan swap on it only to discover that there are not cut outs for exhaust venting on the back of the case for fans. I took the top casing off and of course, in place are mounted 2 fans right where they should be only blowing directly on a solid sheet metal wall. Either someone has replaced this top casing before or the factory messed up and didnt do the fan exhaust cut outs on this.
lol wow, you must have gotten a pre-production unit (or one that was repaired by someone special). All the 7150-48P's I've seen definitely have cutouts:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Potentially a stupid question but I have a icx6610 took some form of voltage hit and is no longer booting.

Would one be able to simply remove the ram from the old switch and place it into the new one and be able to bypass the updating and licensing and need to reconfigure the modem to the previous configuration? Obviously assuming all things working?
RAM is volatile (it loses everything in it when powered off) so it's not used to store anything. the firmware licenses and config are stored in flash which is soldered to the board. If you ever exported a backup of your old config you can import it with:

"copy tftp startup-config 192.168.1.8 6610-backup.cfg" for example

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
I think its also weird that there are also no obvious intake holes on the side unlike the 7150-24p that i have which does. However after looking at other pictures online of this switch that doesn't seem to be abnormal. Must be a way to try and pull air through the small cracks at he front of the case.

There is also 3 fan headers on this switch board, despite only 2 fans being installed.

Also I have found some pictures online of a 7150-48pf which actually has 3 fan cutouts in the back.