Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I think you should only have to enable them if you don't reboot, I think I forgot a reboot instruction after the fpod crap. there's a whole paragraph on it in the licensing manual included in the firmware zip

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
Is there a way to see the total running hours of these switches in their lifetime, not just the uptime?

Skippy96

May 14, 2019
So unfortunately I'm going to have to sell both my ICX6610-24P switches :( they work great but my pregnant wife cant yell at me from upstairs for me to hear her in my office. they are fully updated but will not have any licenses on them (you can reach out to
fohdeesha for that :) will sell with 2 fans and 2 power supplies (switch is POE but power supplies are not but they are brand new a version C witch is the most quiet) for $250 and with 1 power supply for 200. Local is NY/NJ/CT or shipping at buyers expense. will also post on ebay next week and in the for sale area.

if im only running 3-4 10GB lines and the rest being 1gb, would the 6450 work for me?

Reactions: fohdeesha

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
So unfortunately I'm going to have to sell both my ICX6610-24P switches :( they work great but my pregnant wife cant yell at me from upstairs for me to hear her in my office. they are fully updated but will not have any licenses on them (you can reach out to
fohdeesha for that :) will sell with 2 fans and 2 power supplies (switch is POE but power supplies are not but they are brand new a version C witch is the most quiet) for $250 and with 1 power supply for 200. Local is NY/NJ/CT or shipping at buyers expense. will also post on ebay next week and in the for sale area.

if im only running 3-4 10GB lines and the rest being 1gb, would the 6450 work for me?
I mean, my 6450-24P is fine noise-wise, but I don't recall the 6610 when I had it being THAT much louder. If you're not using PoE it may well be even quieter, but you may want to seriously consider a fanless switch from somewhere.

That said, yeah, 3-4 10G and the rest gigabit will be fine, as long as you can activate the second pair of 10G ports. I suspect you know how to do that though. :)

I'd be interested in one of them, possibly. Need to figure out how much I can afford. Sadly I'm not local (Maine) so that won't work out and I'd need to figure shipping.

Reactions: Skippy96

Skippy96

May 14, 2019
I mean, my 6450-24P is fine noise-wise, but I don't recall the 6610 when I had it being THAT much louder. If you're not using PoE it may well be even quieter, but you may want to seriously consider a fanless switch from somewhere.

That said, yeah, 3-4 10G and the rest gigabit will be fine, as long as you can activate the second pair of 10G ports. I suspect you know how to do that though. :)

I'd be interested in one of them, possibly. Need to figure out how much I can afford. Sadly I'm not local (Maine) so that won't work out and I'd need to figure shipping.
Less the true loudness of the switches, more the layout of my house. The switches sit in between my desk and the door in my office, so any sound coming inside my office has to pass through them to get to me.

Hoping I can either put quieter fans or turn off the fans all together on the 6450, I was trying to do that on the 6610 but decided against cutting and splicing on the PSUs.

My question on the 6450 was more bandwidth wise. I run a SAN and multiple containers with Plex, home assistant, openVPN, etc. If I'm doing 1-2 lager 25-300gb copies on 10gbt andmeone is watching a netflix movie on 4k HDR will they stutter? Also, am I losing any layer options going to the lower switch.

Thanks

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
My question on the 6450 was more bandwidth wise. I run a SAN and multiple containers with Plex, home assistant, openVPN, etc. If I'm doing 1-2 lager 25-300gb copies on 10gbt andmeone is watching a netflix movie on 4k HDR will they stutter? Also, am I losing any layer options going to the lower switch.

Thanks
No, I've not experienced throughput issues at all with them and I really wouldn't expect to - switches haven't really had blocking issues in a long time. I've got a NAS and a couple of ESXi hosts connected on 10g, with the NAS feeding both hosts for a datastore as well as general and media file sharing and had no issues.

You WILL lose some functionality at layer 3; no BGP, no ability to handle dynamic IPv6 assignments and some other IPv6 limitations, but the advanced license does get you OSPF v2/v3 at least. But static routing for both IP types is included in base package and I think RIP for both is as well.

Reactions: Skippy96

hemmy

Aug 15, 2019
I went through most of the pages on this thread and ending up picking up a couple 6610s off eBay.

The PoE one I picked up only has one exhaust fan. Does anyone have one they can sell me?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
selling my ICX6650 (2x PSUs 2x fan trays, normal front to back airflow), $520 free shipping (cheapest on ebay right now seems to be $750). posting here for a day or two before throwing it on ebay

raab

Aug 24, 2019
My 6450-24P's arrived today, very well packaged by the ebay seller and there's no obvious signs of shipping damage. Considering they came from America -> New Zealand that's a bonus!

One of the rack ears is a bit bent on the bottom of the ear (top switch in picture), otherwise just scuff marks and scratches on the casing. Not sure how they get so bad as you're not exactly ripping switches in and out of racks often (unless you run lan parties!)

Imgur

Now I just get to look at them because I'm still waiting for my usb/rj45 serial cable to arrive from amazon

raab

Aug 24, 2019
Yeah, I totally misread your instructions:
Connect to the switches serial/console port on the front using a program like Putty (9600 8N1), and connect any of the normal switch ports to your network (do NOT use the dedicated management port

Shame.

Reactions: fohdeesha