Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
if it's who I think it is, I gave him licences almost a full year ago, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he just forgot he's supposed to delete them if reselling (please don't leave nasty messages on his post, even if he is being a dick on purpose it won't solve anything)
I don't buy it because if he forgot about the licenses he would not have mentioned the switch has licenses for the 4 10G modules. The other telltale sign is there is an invalid license which the guy never bothered to remove, leading me to think it originally had the premium sw license only.

He removed his listing from homelabsales 4 hours ago.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
QQ: I have a CX354A ConnectX3 that I want to connect to the 10Gb ports on the front of my 6450.. which cable should I use for that?
For a single 10GbE link I would just use the Mellanox MAM1Q00A-QSA QSFP-to-SFP+ adapter. It's like $20 shipped on ebay.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Fantastic thread BTW. Any leads on current deals for ICX7150-C12P? As noted in first post, these come up less frequently but they seem to be 400+ these days.

gustav9797

Dec 30, 2016
download.png

There are two PIA040H12L's in my 6450s'. They sound obviously worn and should be replaced.
Will any fan work that are within the size and specifications? (obv may have to move pins)
Is the switch RPM sensitive, and in that case how sensitive?
Probably has been answered already but I didn't find exactly what I needed.

kroy

May 17, 2019
So I’ve finally navigated the Brocade desert and have found the promised land.

• 6450-48p was the first switch that I ordered. It worked perfectly but I suffered from a bit of a layer 8 issue here. I didn’t do my homework and discovered this switch doesn’t support dynamic IPv6
  • 6650. I ordered this for a bit of a different project. This switch was DOA and immediately RMAd.
  • 7250-24p #1. Since I was looking for dynamic routing on v6, this seemed like the obvious choice. This one arrived with obviously fried ports (lights stuck on), and no working POE. It took me a while to figure out because I had to hack out the cable. RMAd.
  • 7250-24p #2. Despite being “fully tested”, this switch had a bad POE board. To make things worse, it tried to start a fire while I was trying to troubleshoot with the seller. If not for the fire attempt, I might have kept it because POE wasn’t a deal-killer for me. RMAd.
  • 7250-24p #3. The eBay seller had listed this wrong. It was actually a 7250-24G. No 10Gb, no routing, I didn’t even take this one fully out of the box before RMAing.
  • 6610-24pe. And this point I was sick of the 7250 problems, and tried this switch. Despite mentioning POE all over the listing, and “all ports POE fully working”, what was delivered was a 6610-24-PE, not a 6610-24P-PE. I’ll definitely cop a bit to being a bit of a layer 8 issue here. I believed the listing, but I also didn’t know the difference between P-PE and just -PE. Went right back into the box once someone here pointed this out. I was a bit thankful because with one PSU, this bastard was LOUD. RMAd.
  • 7250-24p #4. FINALLY. A fully working switch. I paid a bit more, but this is a super clean switch.
It’s definitely been a journey, but I really do love these switches. The 7250s are especially nice as they eliminate dumb things like the `dual-mode` ports.

Thanks to the people here that have helped me along the way, especially through the layer8 problems, and especially to @fohdeesha for all the work he’s done on these things.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
It’s definitely been a journey, but I really do love these switches. The 7250s are especially nice as they eliminate dumb things like the `dual-mode` ports.
Okay, I gotta ask. Which dumb thing with dual-mode ports? We use dual-mode on the FCXs and ICX6450s at work, haven't had a chance to really dig on the 7450s we're using yet. We use dual-mode as a way of assigning what Cisco calls a native VLAN, which makes tons of sense to my (admittedly network-oriented) brain.

kroy

May 17, 2019
Okay, I gotta ask. Which dumb thing with dual-mode ports? We use dual-mode on the FCXs and ICX6450s at work, haven't had a chance to really dig on the 7450s we're using yet. We use dual-mode as a way of assigning what Cisco calls a native VLAN, which makes tons of sense to my (admittedly network-oriented) brain.
Just with the way the rest of the VLANs work, it’s clunky and disconnected. I ran into some goofy circular issues trying to change the native VLAN on a port to like 9, then tag in some other ones.

It’s just weird to have all your VLANs: you tag your trunk ports, untag your access ports, but then you have to go to a different section to have the untagged VLAN for a trunk port.

In the later Brocade versions that run on the 7250, you just add the port as untagged on the VLAN. It just makes more sense from a configuration standpoint.