Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
Does anyone know where to get the 4-post mounting kit for the ICX6650? I've looked on eBay, but I can't find anything there. Google fails me as well.
Do a search for my name in this thread - I posted a place where I got them at. They are not very cheap. I think someone responded shortly after I posted with a place that was slightly cheaper

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Thanks for the tip, Zervun. You're certainly on point that they aren't cheap! I'll have to hunt around, but at least I have the correct part number now.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I've purchased two used TurboIron 24X switches from different eBay sellers that stated they were tested and in working condition. One of them claimed to have certified technicians inspecting things. Both switches arrived with configurations from the rack they'd been pulled from - one from Verisign and one from Symantec - with VLANs, access lists, LAGs, disabled ports, TACACS+, et cetera. :)

(I've also picked up a new ICX 7250-48P. @fohdeesha should not be permitted to create home budget destroying threads.)
Before I found this site and got a Brocade 6450, I had bought an Aruba S2500 from Ebay where Seller posted "cleaned and checked by a certified professional"

Aruba Switch arrived, I removed the cover to look at it; and there was so much dust on everything, I could write my name in the inside dust. Had the seller pay me to ship it back for refund.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
It was written "
SFP/Optics Information
Brocade does not restrict the use of optics by manufacturer, they'll take anything given it's the right protocol. However optical monitoring information is disabled unless it sees Brocade or Foundry optics.

So if you want to see information like this :

telnet@Route2(config)#sh optic 5
Port Temperature Tx Power Rx Power Tx Bias Current
+----+-----------+--------------+--------------+---------------+
5 32.7460 C -002.6688 dBm -002.8091 dBm 5.472 mA
Normal Normal Normal Normal

If i wish to use basic Twinax cable, is it safe to assume they will not provide optical information as shown above?

Is there such as thing as 0.5m or 1m Brocade Twinax cable?

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
It was written "
SFP/Optics Information
Brocade does not restrict the use of optics by manufacturer, they'll take anything given it's the right protocol. However optical monitoring information is disabled unless it sees Brocade or Foundry optics.

So if you want to see information like this :

telnet@Route2(config)#sh optic 5
Port Temperature Tx Power Rx Power Tx Bias Current
+----+-----------+--------------+--------------+---------------+
5 32.7460 C -002.6688 dBm -002.8091 dBm 5.472 mA
Normal Normal Normal Normal

If i wish to use basic Twinax cable, is it safe to assume they will not provide optical information as shown above?

Is there such as thing as 0.5m or 1m Brocade Twinax cable?
Twinax cables won't show statistics about transmission and receiving power... as they don't have strictly speaking a transmission interface! They simply join together the TX/RX differential pairs from one SFP cage to the other (think of them as a glorified DB11 "null modem" cable).

eleitl

Jul 2, 2019
Yay, my ICX6610 off eBay landed yesterday. Compact/heavy bugger.

Looks in good shape (not too scratched up, the ports look fine), fired it up: 80-85 W idle. Fan noise very acceptable, once settled down.

Now on to upgrading the beast to the gills this weekend.

shanester

May 18, 2011
I'm a 10Gb newbie...started reading this thread and couldn't resist. I picked up a ICX7250-48 on ebay today. I started to build my console cable and excited to get playing.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Twinax cables won't show statistics about transmission and receiving power... as they don't have strictly speaking a transmission interface! They simply join together the TX/RX differential pairs from one SFP cage to the other (think of them as a glorified DB11 "null modem" cable).
Thank you. I have discovered there are Brocade Twinax cables.

So would you statement of "Twinax cables won't show statistics about transmission and receiving power..." also apply even to Brocade branded Twinax cables ?

Given what you wrote, my guess would be nope - no Twinax regardless of mfg will show power transmission specs.

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
What about Brocade ICX7250-48P ? Some are around 250-300$ which is not too expensive. Probably needs some expensive license to enable all the optical ports to be 10GB ?

Last edited:

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
I hope I am not giving anyone bad info, but follow the guide listed here - it was tested already by the forum members and I already applied it on the 24P model.
What I could not find (yet) is someone who has successfully replaced the 7250 internal fans with something safe but quieter. Still looking at part numbers.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Emanuele

Mar 1, 2019
Hi all,

I have (finally!) turned on the 2x ICX 6610 that I bought 3 month ago.
They have the following licenses:

Does it means that they have already all unlocked?

EDIT:
Also, I'm trying to configure the 2x 40G port for the stack, in order to use the other breackout ports to 10G connections, but I'm getting this error:

I have already removed the stack trunk:

enable
conf t
stack unit 1
no stack-trunk 1/2/1 to 1/2/2
no stack-trunk 1/2/6 to 1/2/7
exit
write mem

EDIT2:

nevermind, the @fohdeesha stacking guide is OP, it did the trick

Last edited:

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Thank you. I have discovered there are Brocade Twinax cables.

So would you statement of "Twinax cables won't show statistics about transmission and receiving power..." also apply even to Brocade branded Twinax cables ?

Given what you wrote, my guess would be nope - no Twinax regardless of mfg will show power transmission specs.
Exactly... at best it would identify the medium as a twinax direct connect, it will show it's serial number, but it won't measure power as there's nothing that can do it inside the cable...

Take a look at this photo I've found with a quick search:

As you can see, there are just a couple of resistor/capacitors on the board, and a small EEPROM on the other side that contains the "metadata" of the cable (vendor, model, serial#, ...) but there's nothing in line with the signal lines.

Reactions: tommybackeast

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi all,

I have (finally!) turned on the 2x ICX 6610 that I bought 3 month ago.
They have the following licenses:

Does it means that they have already all unlocked?

EDIT:
Also, I'm trying to configure the 2x 40G port for the stack, in order to use the other breackout ports to 10G connections, but I'm getting this error:

I have already removed the stack trunk:

enable
conf t
stack unit 1
no stack-trunk 1/2/1 to 1/2/2
no stack-trunk 1/2/6 to 1/2/7
exit
write mem

EDIT2:

nevermind, the @fohdeesha stacking guide is OP, it did the trick

you have the 10g port license, but not the advanced routing license

Reactions: tommybackeast