Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
@fohdeesha - I apologize for the inconvenience, before posting the question I did search for the answer in the forum.
I asked the above question because at the moment there are only 2 sellers on ebay (UK and USA) and no one is shipping ouside of their countries.
Tried to reach them via MP ... the USA guy is saying shipping alone would cost more than 110USD and at that point I started searching for alternatives...

Reactions: fohdeesha

klui

Feb 3, 2019

eleitl

Jul 2, 2019
Looking for a compatible QSFP+ optics for my ICX6010 and Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro that are en route from eBay -- requirements see below (xposted to a Reddit thread).

Fohdeesha previously linked in this thread an Avago 40GB QSFP+ AFBR-79EQPZ Transceiver Parallel Ethernet InfiniBand 850nm 40G off eBay which is expired, but below listing isn't:

Avago 40GB QSFP+ AFBR-79EQPZ Transceiver Parallel Ethernet InfiniBand 850nm 40G 689280130609 | eBay

Would this work for above hardware combo? What kind of fiber optics patch (preferably, also eBay unless e.g. FS.com is also cheap) would I need to connect these? Thanks.

------ posted below to Reddit /r/homelab today earlier ----

/r/homelab/comments/c9rs2d/cheapest_qsfp_fiber_options_between_brocade/

I'm looking to connect a Linux workstation with a ConnectX-3 Pro (2x 40G) with a Brocade ICX6610 (off eBay, both en route) with galvanic separation, through a hole in the wall (not drilled yet, and it's not a drywall either), but as cheaply as possible.

So my options are compatible QSFP+ optics (e.g. new from FS.com or off eBay) with an according patch cable or preconfigured QSFP+ active cables (also new from FS.com or off eBay).

E.g. 15m (49ft) Brocade 40G-QSFP-QSFP-AOC-1501 Compatible 40G QSFP+ Active Optical Cable aka QSFP-AO15 is 96 EUR for 15 m, and should work for both with either Mellanox or Brocade.

The QSFP+ ends look pretty giant, though, so perhaps I should got for the optics + fiber patch, which also leaves me with more flexibility in future. In this case I would have to resort to eBay only, as otherwise the price is becoming a bit steep, especially if I want a pair of cables.

Would be thankful for any suggestions, and pointers to existing gear so that I don't order a doorstop by mistake. Thanks!

eleitl

Jul 2, 2019
Replying to myself:
Looking for a compatible QSFP+ optics for my ICX6010 and Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro that are en route from eBay -- requirements see below (xposted to a Reddit thread).

Would be thankful for any suggestions, and pointers to existing gear so that I don't order a doorstop by mistake. Thanks!
Is e.g. 10m (33ft) 12-Fibre OM4 50/125 MTP Trunk Cable, OFNP the kind of cable which would fit above optics?

12 Fibres Female to Female OM4 (OM3) 50/125 Multimode MTP Trunk Cable, Type B, Elite, Plenum (OFNP), Magenta-10 Metres

Ultra low insertion loss MTP trunk cable for a 40G/100G direct connection. The OM4 (OM3) multimode trunk cable is recommended for high-density data centre applications. Our MTP trunk cables are fully tested for low insertion loss and back reflection on every connector and attenuation loss that meets or exceeds current industry standards.
Product Specifications
Connector A MTP Female (pinless) Connector B MTP Female (pinless)
Fibre Mode OM4 (OM3) 50/125μm Wavelength 850/1300nm
40/100G Ethernet Distance 150m at 850nm 10G Ethernet Distance 400m at 850nm
Glass Fibre Corning ClearCurve® RoHS Compliancy Status Compliant
Polish Type UPC to UPC Minimum Bend Radius 7.5mm
Insertion Loss 0.35dB Max (0.15dB Typ.) Return Loss ≥20dB
Attenuation at 850nm ≤2.3 dB/km Attenuation at 1300nm ≤0.6 dB/km
Jacket OD 3.0mm Cable Jacket Plenum (OFNP)
Installation Tensile Load 66 N Long-Term Tensile Load 50 N
Operating Temperature -10°C to +70°C Storage Temperature -40°C to +85°C

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
nope. the USB console port on the 7250 is NOT a usb connection. It's RS232 serial over a usb connector. You will fry it trying to plug it directly into a computer's USB port or any of these USB adapters. This is the ONLY console cable that will work (unless you make your own), I dunno how many times I can post this: Mini-USB(M) to RJ45(M), 8ft, Brocade Console Cable, + 9pin(F) to RJ45(F) adapter | eBay

a search of this thread for "7250 serial" brings up 6 previous posts covering this

also, the 7250 does not have an RJ45 console port either. it sounds like you're thinking of a totally different switch

edit: sorry if I sounded like an asshole, but this thread has become very repetitive
you're right, removed my posts so nobody gets confused in the future.

Reactions: tommybackeast

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
Was hoping that someone else with a 6650 would chime in.

I got my 6650 up and running - it is noisy at low speed (quite a bit louder than the 6610) but it's sitting in a cool basement. What is odd is that the fans spin up "slightly" every 15-30~ seconds then settle back down. Temperature in the basement is around 60 degrees. I was under the impression that there were basically two fans speeds, low and high, and not variable at all (I could of course be wrong)

The fans are not spinning up to full by any means, just a little bit of increase, but it's a bit annoying when you are in the furnished part of the basement. I can't tell if it is all of them spinning up or just one. Temps in the switch never go over 43c - if I was to guess they kick in to keep it under 43 or something around there?

I was thinking of popping the hood and making sure all the fans/heatsinks are cleaned of dust and maybe put some cryonaut on the heatsinks replacing whatever TIM they had. Maybe one of the fans is going bad? Chassis shows everything is good and switch works great.

Fan controlled temperature: 42.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
Speed 1: NM<----->68 deg-C
Speed 2: 63<-----> 85 deg-C (shutdown)

MAC-Back Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 42.0 deg-C
MAC-Left Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 34.5 deg-C
MAC-Right Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 35.5 deg-C
MAC-Front Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 35.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 36.5 deg-C
Center Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 30.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 34.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 26.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 34.0 deg-C
sensor D Temperature Readings:
Current temperature : 28.5 deg-C

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
do you think it could be a PSU on it's way out? or is it just normal? When it isn't doing much traffic it still spins up/temps normal.
If temps are good, this is classic sign of early fan failure.

Emanuele

Mar 1, 2019
Hi all, is there anyone that is willing to exchange 2 ICX6610-FAN-I with the Exhausth ones?
PM me if interested :D

Can someone provide an high detail photo of the FRONT CONNECTOR of the ICX6610-FAN-E?
I need to see the pin inside the connector...

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks - do you think it could be a PSU on it's way out? or is it just normal? When it isn't doing much traffic it still spins up/temps normal.

the PSUs seem to have their own fan control logic, the later revisions seem to be more quiet/conservative. do you know if the PSU are rev A B or C?

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
the PSUs seem to have their own fan control logic, the later revisions seem to be more quiet/conservative. do you know if the PSU are rev A B or C?
They are both Rev B's. I ordered a couple "spares" to swap in off of ebay just to have them as spares if it doesn't fix the issue.

At idle they are fine, obviously at stage 2 they are jet engines.

This behavior is a slight rev up from idle, but way less than stage 2. It happens about every minute or so and settles down constantly. It's a bit higher pitched than idle so goes through the walls as bit. They are in the crawlspace in the basement but you can hear them through it to the living area of the basement. When they spin up it's a bit more noticeable.

I am more worried that there is an issue with one of them, than the noise to be honest. I intend to put some acoustical padding in the crawlspace anyway.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Does anyone know where to get the 4-post mounting kit for the ICX6650? I've looked on eBay, but I can't find anything there. Google fails me as well.