Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
I discussed with g-electronic as recommended by @Thorzeen, they issued a full refund and I don't even have to send it back.
Their units might not be reliable, but they have an awesome customer service!

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Quick question, the 6450-24P, if I pull the power, and then pop the plug back in, it doesn't fire up. I wait a few minutes and I hear a 'click' sound from the PSU region of the switch, and then I pop the power plug back in and it starts up. Is this some kind of feature or is this a sign of a failing PSU?
do you just spend all day coming up with absurd ways to try and cause issues with equipment? leave it alone, its fine

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Hello,

Long time lurker here, I finally got an ICX6610 thanks to @fohdeesha !

I got it from g-electronics on ebay, like some people here, and I've issues with the 40Gbps breakout ports. It does seem to be the exact same issue as @N1h1l1ty on page 50 of this topic, as I have those messages on console at boot:
Code:
Parsing Config Data ...
------------------------------------------------------------------
M:9 L:0 - chow_qsfp_read, qsfp 3, error in seting up mux
------------------------------------------------------------------
M:9 L:0 - link_40G_4x10G_get_media: qsfp 3, port 1/2/7 error in reading qsfp
chow_40G_4x10G_get_media: error in reading qsfp 1/2/7
It was working for one of my servers (ESXi) but I could not make a second port work, even from the other QSFP port. Tested with two cables (some Cisco generic on eBay and a Brocade one from FiberStore), same result. All firmwares (bootloader, firmware and PoE firmware) are up-to-date.

Now with the exact same NIC (HP NC530SFP+) on an other server (FreeNAS), it doesn't work at all. It appears up on the interfaces brief, but goes down as soon as I tag it with a VLAN for some reason. It also goes up and down randomly without any vlan tagged (but traffic does not flows anyway, even when switch says it's up).

So I guess my QSFP module is broken ?
Honestly I don't think I'll ever need more than 8 SFP+ ports (all licensed, again thanks to @fohdeesha), but it's kind of a bummer to see it broken. I don't really want to send the switch back as everything is now cabled and I live in France, so shipping to USA would be really tedious.

Is the module replaceable easily ? Is there a way to purchase it alone for cheap ?
Or am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks a lot
I think there is confusion surrounding tagging vs untagging a port. This all depends on the device you want to connect to (whether it be a switch, host, or something else like an ESXI vswitch). Typically you untag host ports and tag VLAN's on ports that will be used as trunks. Here are some sample Brocade switch and a Cisco switch configs I came up with to compare similiar outputs. Lets assume you want to configure a few VLAN's and do trunking (not LAG/LACP) to devices that require it. We will also change from the default NATIVE VLAN 1 to VLAN 10:

VLAN 10 = Native VLAN (untagged frames for all ports)(default is normally VLAN 1)(Management IP)
VLAN 20 = DATA
VLAN 30 = WIRELESS
VLAN 40 = UNTRUSTED

Brocade Configuration Output:

Code:
vlan 10 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
 router-interface ve 10
!
vlan 20 by port
 tagged ethe 1/1/1 ethe 1/3/1
 untagged ethe 1/1/2 ethe 1/1/3
!
vlan 30 by port
 untagged ethe 1/1/4
!
vlan 40 by port
 untagged ethe 1/1/5 to ethe 1/1/24
!
interface ethernet 1/1/1
 port-name TRUNK PORT
!
interface ethernet 1/1/2
 port-name DATA 1
!
interface ethernet 1/1/3
 port-name DATA 2
!
interface ethernet 1/1/4
 port-name WIRELESS 1
!
interface ethernet 1/1/5
 port-name UNTRUSTED
!
!
interface ethernet 1/1/24
 port-name UNTRUSTED
!
interface ethernet 1/3/1
 port-name 10GB TRUNK
 speed-duplex 10G-full
!
interface ve 10
 ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0
Cisco equivalent config with having VLAN 10 changed to Native VLAN
Code:
vlan 10
 name NATIVE VLAN
vlan 20
 name DATA
vlan 30
 name WIRELESS
vlan 40
 name UNTRUSTED
!
interface Gigabit1/1/1
 desc TRUNK PORT
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk native vlan 10
 switchport trunk allowed 10, 20, 30, 40
!
interface Gigabit1/1/2
 description DATA 1
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 20
!
interface Gigabit1/1/3
 description DATA 2
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 20
!
interface Gigabit1/1/4
 description WIRELESS
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 30
!
interface Gigabit1/1/5
 description UNTRUSTED
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 40
!
!
interface Gigabit1/1/24
 description UNTRUSTED
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 40
!
interface Gigabit1/3/1
 desc 10GB TRUNK PORT
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk native vlan 10
 switchport trunk allowed 10, 20, 30, 40
!
interface vlan 10
 ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0
Hopefully this helps people who understand Cisco CLI!

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
do you just spend all day coming up with absurd ways to try and cause issues with equipment? leave it alone, its fine
I do not understand the context of your reply fohdeesha. It is the first time I've come across a switch that has this behaviour, whence raising the question if it is by design (feature) or a potential issue I should be concerned about.

To be fair, yes I do spend a great amount of time getting to know my equipment, though power-cycling is not by choice, I was in the process of taking the switch from my desk to its permanent location in the rack and that is when I noticed this rather peculiar behaviour.

Discountsocks

Aug 16, 2018
I do not understand the context of your reply fohdeesha. It is the first time I've come across a switch that has this behaviour, whence raising the question if it is by design (feature) or a potential issue I should be concerned about.

To be fair, yes I do spend a great amount of time getting to know my equipment, though power-cycling is not by choice, I was in the process of taking the switch from my desk to its permanent location in the rack and that is when I noticed this rather peculiar behaviour.

Firstly, let me preface this by saying that I am in no way intending to be "that guy", though I often have been told that I come across that way. That being said...

The proper place to ask this questions would be the hardware manufacturer who designed the product. BUT since we all here are frequenting a forum of used gear that we offer each other help supporting and there have been 90 pages of very helpful information mainly provided by fohdeesha, I see his response as valid.

You are quoting an issue that would be highly unlikely to solved by people here, initially without the context you later supplied. It can definitely be read (as I did) that you were looking for issues with the hardware and possibly complaining about it. I will state that with the provided context, I do not read it that way, but can see how someone who has done much research and hacking into the platform, then providing it freely to the community might read it that way (again, as I did)

If you suspect a power supply issue or failure, as stated on the first page of the post, you can supply your own 12 volt DC and do some testing.

Again, I am not intending to come across harshly, this is just a validation of someones response and a suggestion as to a path of troubleshooting your issue with hardware not under vendor support.

rgunner

Apr 29, 2019
@fodeesha thanks again for the guide on the 7250. I got my 24 port up and running today and swapped it in place of my other two switches (hella less noise) :D Unfortunately, it looks like 1/3 of my 24 copper ports are not going to function with PoE....sigh. got it from g-electronic. Sent message asking what the options are. I can make things work for now with some PoE injectors (Cameras and AP's). Other than that I'll probably pick up another one as a backup.

PoE Severe Error: Hardware Fault with ports 1/1/9 to 1/1/16. Remove PDs and then configure "no inline power" on these ports.

ICX7250-24P Router#show inline power
Power Capacity: Total is 370000 mWatts. Current Free is 370000 mWatts.
Power Allocations: Requests Honored 23 times
Port Admin Oper ---Power(mWatts)--- PD Type PD Class Pri Fault/
State State Consumed Allocated Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/1/1 On Non-PD 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/2 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/3 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/4 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/5 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/6 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/7 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/8 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/9 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/10 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/11 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/12 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/13 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/14 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/15 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/16 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 internal h/w fault
1/1/17 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/18 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/19 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/20 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/21 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/22 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/23 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
1/1/24 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 0 0

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
so that's 3 faulty g-electronic switches just in the last 3 pages, and 1 more in a PM from someone where one of his 40gbE ports does not work. I'm calling it now, avoid g-electronic unless you really enjoy doing the ebay return dance. that's what, like 9 total bad switches from them now just in the last month?

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
Yes it looks like they have some really bad batches, some good offers have popped from other vendors too, I was able to score an ICX6610-48P for 120USD +80 shipping (and 50 for taxes, but that's because I'm in EU).

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
I got a 6450-48P from them back in August that worked fine. It however came from Brocade's lab and it now appears I got pretty lucky.

rgunner

Apr 29, 2019
Quick question....is the noise level on the 6610 that much louder than the 7250? I really like the lower power/heat on the 7250 but since I'm going to have to get another switch (see 4 posts up) would I be better off getting the 6610-24P over the 7250-24P? I basically need 24 ports POE and currently 5 SFP+. I would like to get a 2nd switch and stack them, more for redundancy than port count. I dont really have a need for QSFP since this is my home setup. I'm torn between the two (6610/7250) now that I have been looking at cost and availability to see where i can get a replacement for the one I'm returning to g-electronic as DOA. I'd like to keep the noise/heat down as much as possible, but whatever I get is replacing an LB6M along with 48 Port Cisco 3750-G POE switch.

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Big thanks to fohdeesha for sending me blank faceplates for the power supply and fan slots. My thermals are already much more tolerable than before. Still awaiting for the replacement power supply though.

BEFORE

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 not present
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
       Model Number:   23-0000142-02
       Serial Number:  LFV
       Firmware Ver:    B
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 71.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
               Speed 1: NM<----->78       deg-C
               Speed 2:       73<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 68.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 69.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 42.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 70.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 41.5 deg-C
sensor D Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 35.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
       Current temperature : 71.0 deg-C
       Warning level.......: 83.0 deg-C
       Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C
[/SIZE]
AFTER

Code:
Switch#sh chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 not present
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  LFV
        Firmware Ver:    B
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 57.5 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->78       deg-C
                Speed 2:       73<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 57.5 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 46.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 31.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 52.0 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 29.0 deg-C
sensor D Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 23.0 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 51.5 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 83.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C

switch#sh optic 1/3/1
 Port  Temperature   Tx Power     Rx Power       Tx Bias Current
+----+-----------+--------------+--------------+---------------+
1/3/1   48.3593 C  -002.3950 dBm -002.4980 dBm    7.316 mA
        Normal      Normal        Normal         Normal

Reactions: fohdeesha

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
are you SURE the PSU fan isn't spinning? it can be hard to see. I ask because that's running cooler than my units with working fans :p
I took some measures to try and cool the system down until stuff arrived such as turning my AC up a couple notches, redirecting the AC room vent a little more towards the rack, and pulling out optics for unused ports. Also since the system was resting directly on top of my other switch, I pulled it out so the front half is sitting over air instead of conducting heat with another chassis (still waiting for my shelf to get here). Also I am not pushing that much traffic at this moment so the switch is somewhat idle.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Quick question....is the noise level on the 6610 that much louder than the 7250? I really like the lower power/heat on the 7250 but since I'm going to have to get another switch (see 4 posts up) would I be better off getting the 6610-24P over the 7250-24P? I basically need 24 ports POE and currently 5 SFP+. I would like to get a 2nd switch and stack them, more for redundancy than port count. I dont really have a need for QSFP since this is my home setup. I'm torn between the two (6610/7250) now that I have been looking at cost and availability to see where i can get a replacement for the one I'm returning to g-electronic as DOA. I'd like to keep the noise/heat down as much as possible, but whatever I get is replacing an LB6M along with 48 Port Cisco 3750-G POE switch.
I have a 6450-24P and am very happy with the low noise and low power draw.
I need more ports and was looking at the 7250-48 or 7250-48P.

How is the power draw and noise on your 7250?

rgunner

Apr 29, 2019
I have a 6450-24P and am very happy with the low noise and low power draw.
I need more ports and was looking at the 7250-48 or 7250-48P.

How is the power draw and noise on your 7250?
I’ve only had it running for a week and I’m having to send it back due to a hardware issue (hazard of buying used), but for noise and power, I’m very happy. Enough so that I ordered another one from a different vendor that will be here by Friday. I needed close to 24 ports of POE with the IP cameras and Access points and I’m converting all of the PC’s/servers in the house to 10G with Connectx-2 cards. If all goes well with that one hardware wise, I plan on ordering another so that I have two for redundancy and a few spare 10G ports. So even with the hardware failure, I like it enough to get two. :). In the weeks time the com closet is soooo much cooler and quieter (pulled out the LB6M and the 48Port POE 3750). If you do get one, the console cable is a must, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Again, Big Thanks! To @fodeesha for putting all the info out there on these.

Reactions: tommybackeast

bandit1216

Jun 6, 2018
Anyone know how to import an existing SSL certificate into the ICX-6450? Have a wildcard for my domain that I've imported into most of my web GUIs (was kind of a pain for my SG-300, luckily someone else already figured it out) and I'm OCD with browser cert warnings. I've tried importing the certificate as a full chain, just the domain cert, domain cert w/ public key (along with the private key in a separate file) in PEM format (with UNIX LF EOL, not sure if Windows CR/LF is a problem), no dice, keeps saying it can't parse the PEM encoded file. It will successfully upload the private key or cert file when either is done as the first step, but uploading the other half always generates this error.

I also tried generating a CSR on the switch with *.mydomain.com, which works and generates a new self-signed cert with this CN, but I don't see a way to output the CSR to TFTP to then get signed.

Not a huge deal (first-world problems I know), I mostly use the console but sometimes the web UI is handy.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Hello all. Been lurking for some time and just picked up a ICX6450-24, super excited to play around with it. @fohdeesha do you still have licenses available to unlock the extra 10G ports? Thanks, really appreciated!