Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Drat, I was afraid you would confirm that. I guess I can contact the eBay seller I bought it from, but it was so long ago I doubt I have any recourse there.

Anyone have a 6610 PoE PSU they are willing to part with? :)

Not that I need it (I don't have separate feeds for them or anything; both of 'em would run off the same UPS), but it'd be nice to have.
You have 6 months if you paid with paypal. if the seller gets incooperative, just file a claim at paypal NOT ebay.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Just got my unit (ICX 6610-24P) up and running and converting everything over from my Cisco 4948-10G. Did this to save some power and also take advantage of the 40gb ports in the near future.

As such, I am curious what others thermals are looking like with their units. Noticed that my chassis is extremely warm/hot on the bottom chassis near the front SFP+ and RJ45 ports. The model I did buy only came with 1 power supply (1 fan included) and the 40gb/10gb stack/breakout (1 fan included) for a total of 2 fans. Noticed there is a slot for an additional fan and power supply and my unit actually did not include blanks for the slots (might have to look at getting an additional fan along with a blank plate for the empty power supply slot). Below is my thermal output:

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 not present
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  LFV
        Firmware Ver:    B
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 71.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->78       deg-C
                Speed 2:       73<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 68.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 69.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 42.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 70.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 41.5 deg-C
sensor D Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 35.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 71.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 83.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C
Little worried that the SFP+ ports on the front and optics will get too hot and burn out (extremely hot if I pull it out and compare it to my Cisco 4948-10G). Currently running Fiber Store SFP+ 10gb that are Cisco programmed.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Just got my unit (ICX 6610-24P) up and running and converting everything over from my Cisco 4948-10G. Did this to save some power and also take advantage of the 40gb ports in the near future.

As such, I am curious what others thermals are looking like with their units. Noticed that my chassis is extremely warm/hot on the bottom chassis near the front SFP+ and RJ45 ports. The model I did buy only came with 1 power supply (1 fan included) and the 40gb/10gb stack/breakout (1 fan included) for a total of 2 fans. Noticed there is a slot for an additional fan and power supply and my unit actually did not include blanks for the slots (might have to look at getting an additional fan along with a blank plate for the empty power supply slot). Below is my thermal output:

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

Little worried that the SFP+ ports on the front and optics will get too hot and burn out (extremely hot if I pull it out and compare it to my Cisco 4948-10G). Currently running Fiber Store SFP+ 10gb that are Cisco programmed.
As long as the switch is not shutting down..you're not hurting it as bad, but it's still running at fried chicken temps..

Just to give you an idea, my home switch (6610-24P, but the POE isn't active, single PSU, single fan tray.) is in an unfinished part of the basement, no active cooling in that part of the basement, in fact it's closer to the utility/heater in the basement than I'd prefer, and it runs at these temps.

Code:
Power supply 1 (AC - Regular) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000144-01
        Serial Number:  091  
Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
Power supply 2 not present

Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 48.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 38.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 23.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 29.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 16.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 15.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 48.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 84.0 deg-C

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
So investigated the temps a little further with my 6610-24P chassis. Noticed that the external fan for the power supply was not spinning. I assume the power supply has a dual fan setup (internal and external) and I did feel a little air (internal fan spin?) coming out. Is this normal until tempature reaches the thresholds? I could not shut the switch down as I am in the middle of a transfer to check initial bootup spin.

I also cracked open the top of the case and looked at thermals to see what difference it makes. Here is my latest output:

Code:
switch#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 73.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 57.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 73.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 41.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 73.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 37.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 37.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 36.0 deg-C
Should I put an order in for the additional fan that I currently have an open slot for in the 6610-24P? Also is there any benefit to having a second power supply for this model? Had a hard time trying to find a blank faceplate for the second power supply slot and prefer to have blanks in empty slots when possible.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

your SFPs should not be hot, I've never felt a hot optics module in these, except for the mikrotik sfp+ 10gbE copper module which run hot in anything. You're having airflow issues, you should definitely have blanks in there or the fans can't create any negative air pressure to get air flowing through the chassis like it should, and per your other post you have a faulty PSU with a fan that's not spinning (I don't know how the switch even allowed itself to boot like that to be honest, when I tried that it complained)

I would cover the open slots with duct tape or something and tell your seller you need a working PSU

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
a thermals question re ICX7250 (which I do not have yet). i am looking at the POE 48port version.

I have my existing switch inside my server cabinet in the rear (turned around from normal usage).

you had told me in the past the fans inside a IXC6450-24 could be reversed for this purpose, might you know, can the fans in a ICX7250 also be reversed? Thank you

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Should I put an order in for the additional fan that I currently have an open slot for in the 6610-24P? Also is there any benefit to having a second power supply for this model?
I purchased a 6610-48P with one PSU (rev B) and fan. A second fan definitely helps with temperatures on my switch running 8.0.30. With one fan installed, it produced higher CFM than the PSU's fan. With 2 fans installed, they both produce roughly the same CFM as the PSU's.
Code:
Fan 2 not present
Fan controlled temperature: 59.0 deg-C
MAC 1 Temperature Readings: 41.0 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings: 59.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings: 58.0 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings: 36.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings: 47.0 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings: 46.0 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings: 54.0 deg-C

Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan controlled temperature: 46.5 deg-C
MAC 1 Temperature Readings: 30.5 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings: 40.5 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings: 46.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings: 29.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings: 34.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings: 31.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings: 46.0 deg-C

Reactions: Kryax

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the feedback! Yea I had contacted the seller earlier today and they are already working on sending a new fan/psu. Ordered a second fan for the chassis. Now I would prefer to get a blank faceplate for the second power supply (my own fault for not checking picutres on ebay and seeing they didn't offer the blanks), but will make do with taping something over the slot. Still will keep an eye out for blank faceplates for the power supply slot (unless anyone has one they don't need that they want to sell).

Other than that, I have the switch converted with all my config from my Cisco switch (VLAN's, trunks, routing, ACL's). Took a bit to get the syntax down and how these switches differ for the commands compared to Cisco, but eventually got what I needed.

rgunner

Apr 29, 2019
Wanted to say thanks fohdeesha for all of the time and info. Pulled the trigger on the 7250-24P which got here Friday, now just waiting for my console cable to arrive so I can update the firmware to v8080 and swap out the Quanta LB6M and the Cisco WS-C3750E-48TD. :D

Reactions: fohdeesha

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
Hello,

Long time lurker here, I finally got an ICX6610 thanks to @fohdeesha !

I got it from g-electronics on ebay, like some people here, and I've issues with the 40Gbps breakout ports. It does seem to be the exact same issue as @N1h1l1ty on page 50 of this topic, as I have those messages on console at boot:
Code:
Parsing Config Data ...
------------------------------------------------------------------
M:9 L:0 - chow_qsfp_read, qsfp 3, error in seting up mux
------------------------------------------------------------------
M:9 L:0 - link_40G_4x10G_get_media: qsfp 3, port 1/2/7 error in reading qsfp
chow_40G_4x10G_get_media: error in reading qsfp 1/2/7
It was working for one of my servers (ESXi) but I could not make a second port work, even from the other QSFP port. Tested with two cables (some Cisco generic on eBay and a Brocade one from FiberStore), same result. All firmwares (bootloader, firmware and PoE firmware) are up-to-date.

Now with the exact same NIC (HP NC530SFP+) on an other server (FreeNAS), it doesn't work at all. It appears up on the interfaces brief, but goes down as soon as I tag it with a VLAN for some reason. It also goes up and down randomly without any vlan tagged (but traffic does not flows anyway, even when switch says it's up).

So I guess my QSFP module is broken ?
Honestly I don't think I'll ever need more than 8 SFP+ ports (all licensed, again thanks to @fohdeesha), but it's kind of a bummer to see it broken. I don't really want to send the switch back as everything is now cabled and I live in France, so shipping to USA would be really tedious.

Is the module replaceable easily ? Is there a way to purchase it alone for cheap ?
Or am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks a lot

Thorzeen

Jun 15, 2018
Hi Hakujou and welcome. People in this thread me included have had a less then stellar experience with g-electronics as posted a couple of pages back. I am sorry to hear your having problems. I would at the very lease contact them (g-electronics) and try to receive a partial refund. Seems that people have reached out and received that. I simply sent mine back ( i am in US) and will no longer give them any of my business

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Quick question, the 6450-24P, if I pull the power, and then pop the plug back in, it doesn't fire up. I wait a few minutes and I hear a 'click' sound from the PSU region of the switch, and then I pop the power plug back in and it starts up. Is this some kind of feature or is this a sign of a failing PSU?

Last edited: