Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SuperServer

Feb 1, 2019
Man, you need to get friendly with the eBay return system the next time this happens. Any time you get something from an eBay seller that isn't *exactly* as described/shown in the auction pictures reach out and ask for a price adjustment or just start a return right then and there. You have *all* of the leverage in this negotiation thanks to eBay's policies. If the item doesn't arrive _exactly as described/pictured and undamaged in transit you can file for a refund through ebay and the seller is on the hook not just for your refund but for return shipping too.

I've had a couple of things arrived packed badly and damaged in shipping and in every case I've negotiated at least the cost of the repair parts from the seller, if not an extra $20-30 for my time spent replacing parts. I had one guy try to dick me over and run the 30 day return clock down on me (he kept telling me he needed to get authorization to refund the damage cost) but as soon as I filed for a return he pivoted and I got a partial refund the same day.

Shipping on a lot of the things we're buying is 25-50% the cost of the auction, being able to dangle a 25-50% loss on top of the refund over sellers who ship badly will get you what you want and fast. Remember, they have to re-sell the item again, this time damaged and at a lower price, as well.

Also, if something arrives damaged (like bent rack ears that need to be replaced) you can pocket the partial refund and then DIY a repair for your own use (I've fixed rack ears with a crowbar and a bolt before.) The goods lost resale value due to the damage, don't just eat it yourself.

Obviously none of this applies (except shipping damage!) if you're buying "As-Is, for parts" equipment.
Oh i am aware the corner was just bent but everything worked so after the rebate i got 6610 for basically 160 which i though was a steal at honestly anything less than 500 really when i first started looking at 10g+ switches. This one was just a complete bust i cant (last i looked) find a poe board for sale but i have heard of the seller sending one. But i already have one from a bad switch before so dont really need it honestly the PSU i was bummed about bcuz its literally useless from my understanding you need 2 of the 1000 watts to be able to run full max poe power which i never will anyways but still. A hefty refund im sure will come from this one... i hope...

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Oh i am aware the corner was just bent but everything worked so after the rebate i got 6610 for basically 160 which i though was a steal at honestly anything less than 500 really when i first started looking at 10g+ switches. This one was just a complete bust i cant (last i looked) find a poe board for sale but i have heard of the seller sending one. But i already have one from a bad switch before so dont really need it honestly the PSU i was bummed about bcuz its literally useless from my understanding you need 2 of the 1000 watts to be able to run full max poe power which i never will anyways but still. A hefty refund im sure will come from this one... i hope...
Yeah, I'd definitely negotiate a partial refund. If the PoE board is dead and they shipped the wrong PSU that's like ... basically you need another entire switch to cannibalize to get yours up to speed. Those 1KW PSUs sell for around $120-150 too, so it's not like that's a $20 fix.

SuperServer

Feb 1, 2019
Yeah, I'd definitely negotiate a partial refund. If the PoE board is dead and they shipped the wrong PSU that's like ... basically you need another entire switch to cannibalize to get yours up to speed. Those 1KW PSUs sell for around $120-150 too, so it's not like that's a $20 fix.
It honestly is just cheaper to buy a new one and just have spare parts or sell them at the price some of these are going for but i also dont want to take it back out ship and wait for another they ship ground and it takes a week so 2 weeks down and i already set this guy up with the network lol. Even though by this point i can set up my own network in a very short time frame with a litlle cut and paste cheat sheet i made lol. But its honestly just the time and hassle to be honest.

Reactions: itronin

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
G-electronics had atleast 2 ICX6450-24s with bad PoE boards, and likely more. I give them a good rating, however. They were happy to ship me another unit to try with return label. They refunded my money promptly when the second switch had the same issue. I also got the QSFP-SFP+ breakout cables from them and they are brand new as described. They just got a bad batch. I'd buy from them again.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
not PoE related, but g-electronic is the only seller that has sent me quite badly bent/beat up switches. the ICX6650 I got from them was so bad I couldn't remove one of the power supplies without a vice

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Hey, quick question about the ICX6610 breakout ports. Can I run MPO from a QSFP optic to something like a Commscope MPO <> LC cassette to do the breakout? I don't have my eBay link handy but I think I was seeing those for around $10/ea and it would be super convenient to run the loud switch down in my basement and just run MPO up to my office so I've got 4 extra ports up here (plus I can cross link all of my machines to both switches that way.) If I do this are just the first 4 pairs in the MPO active?

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
not PoE related, but g-electronic is the only seller that has sent me quite badly bent/beat up switches. the ICX6650 I got from them was so bad I couldn't remove one of the power supplies without a vice
I'm feeling exceedingly lucky at the moment. Of the four switches I've purchased the only damage I've seen is one switch with a jacked up rack ear and rack rash on that corner, everything else has been in excellent condition (sans some scratches on the top covers.)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yes it'll work but you'll need to re-arrange the fiber pairs in the cassette, they're basically never configured for 10gb breakout (which pairs the first and last MPO fibers into a pair, then the second to last and second, etc), they usually just go in order, so first LC port is fibers 1 and 2, etc. it's not a huge hassle but it'll need to be done

Reactions: arglebargle

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
yes it'll work but you'll need to re-arrange the fiber pairs in the cassette, they're basically never configured for 10gb breakout (which pairs the first and last MPO fibers into a pair, then the second to last and second, etc), they usually just go in order, so first LC port is fibers 1 and 2, etc. it's not a huge hassle but it'll need to be done
OK, that should be easy enough to do. Does everything just snap in/out with normal tools?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
there's always a chance one will be different but all the cassettes I've dealt with, the LC ports are just plate mounted LC couplers, so inside it's just regular LC individual fibers snapped into the rear of the coupler so you can just remove them with your bare fingers: http://www.passivefiberoptic.com/ph...o_mtp_cassette_with_om3_lc_duplex_adapter.jpg

This is the best image I could find and used to sort out where should go to what, this assumes you're using key up to key down fiber going from the optic in the switch to the breakout module (key up to key down is by far the most popular and easy to find): https://i.imgur.com/SjWWcMy.png

so you can see inside the cassette for LC port #1 you need to feed it tx #1 and rx#1, which would be blue and aqua

Reactions: arglebargle

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
there's always a chance one will be different but all the cassettes I've dealt with, the LC ports are just plate mounted LC couplers, so inside it's just regular LC individual fibers snapped into the rear of the coupler so you can just remove them with your bare fingers: http://www.passivefiberoptic.com/ph...o_mtp_cassette_with_om3_lc_duplex_adapter.jpg

This is the best image I could find and used to sort out where should go to what, this assumes you're using key up to key down fiber going from the optic in the switch to the breakout module (key up to key down is by far the most popular and easy to find): https://i.imgur.com/SjWWcMy.png

so you can see inside the cassette for LC port #1 you need to feed it tx #1 and rx#1, which would be blue and aqua
Ok, that's about what I expected and looks straightforward. I'll do some research and make sure I'm ordering parts that will work, it looks like the crazy deal I was tracking on the Commscope cassettes went "poof" last week anyway so there's no rush atm. I need to check to make sure that these Commscope cassettes can be opened too, they're entirely encased in a snap-on plastic housing.

For my use case it might actually make more sense to use a fanout cable at the switch and two cassettes, then trunk two more SFP ports up the same MPO cable to the office. I'll noodle on it for a bit, if that $10 deal on cassettes shows up again I'll probably go for it.

Thanks, by the way! It's refreshing to be able to ask questions about new things and have constructive discussion without the usual "why didn't you read the discussion at page 492 of this 1200 page thread, are you stupid?"

Reactions: fohdeesha

J0hn

Apr 2, 2019
G-electronics had atleast 2 ICX6450-24s with bad PoE boards, and likely more. I give them a good rating, however. They were happy to ship me another unit to try with return label. They refunded my money promptly when the second switch had the same issue. I also got the QSFP-SFP+ breakout cables from them and they are brand new as described. They just got a bad batch. I'd buy from them again.
Make that at least 3 switches with bad POE boards from G-electronics

I purchased a ICX6450-24p from them on the 2nd. Started seeing errors the first time it booted:

PoE Error: Device 0 failed to start on PoE module.
PoE Error: Device 1 failed to start on PoE module.

I was able to flash the bootrom and the primary but after it reset, it would just hang on a POE error. Per fohdeesha, I took it apart and sure enough one of the chips had a hole burned in it:

GR8-471.jpg

I will give them credit - they immediately granted a return (sending the pic helped) and I ordered another one at the same price ($150 with free shipping) because I didn't want to wait to have them receive the bad one before they sent the second one. Besides, I wasn't worried about it because I used my credit card and eBay is pretty good about returns when you have problems like this.

Both switches were packaged decently and both switches were physically in good shape. The second one appears to be working great so far. They claim they are 'tested', but I don't think so. G-electronics actually appears to be 'EDM Recycling' in Chino. The business is listed at the address where I shipped the bad one back. Also, it was kind of unusual that the package was shipped using a UPS account under the name of 'National Auto Glass Direct' in El Monte??

This is the serial to the one I sent back with the bad POE daughtercard:
Serial #: BZR3228K03A

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread or not. I'm looking to connect two of these boxes via SFP to Ethernet 10GBaseT modules in order to utilize Cat-6 already in the house. Can anyone recommend some decent bang-for-the-buck transceivers?

Thorzeen

Jun 15, 2018
I bought a ICX6610-P from G-electronics. It arrived last Friday They sent it with a 250 PSU when i asked them about it they replied.
Dear Buyer,
thank you for contacting us and I apologize for this issue. the PoE is off, you need to turn them back on by going into the console.

Commands

switch #:show inline power
switch #:configure terminal
switch #:interface ethernet 1/1/1

please let us know if this help. sorry for any inconvenience.

I laughed to myself as i am reading this thread i just issued a return with ebay

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Is there anyway to add an untagged port to more than one VLAN? Or other solve to the issue described below:
  • Currently most of my network is on a single VLAN (100 LAN), inclusive of the workstation (untagged port referenced) needed to access ESXi (where Management VLAN = 100). And where the only other VLAN was previously WAN, which allowed me to plug the port from the ISP (condo) directly into the ICX-6450 and use pfSense.
  • So if I change the ESXi Management VLAN to align with the architecture I'm pursuing, I lose access.
  • As to the why? I'm working on deploying a more "advanced" VLAN schema, bit by bit along with standard switches, before migrating to a distributed switch in vCenter Server, for the objective of deploying proper networking to the servers. (something that has been a "to do" for a bit)
  • I spent some time reviewing the manual and thought that dual-mode was a potential solution, but it only allows for 1 untagged + multiple tagged ports, not multiple untagged ports + 1 tagged ports (which would work).
  • Windows Ethernet Adapter doesn't allow for VLAN assignment even after installing INTELProSet.

Code:
PORT-VLAN 1, Name DEFAULT-VLAN, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off
 Untagged Ports: (U1/M1)   7   8   9  10  11

PORT-VLAN 10, Name Net-Management, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off
   Tagged Ports: (U1/M2)   1   2   3   4

PORT-VLAN 20, Name Net-vMotion, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off

PORT-VLAN 30, Name Net-Storage, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off

PORT-VLAN 100, Name LAN, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off
 Untagged Ports: (U1/M1)   5   6  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23
    Tagged Ports: (U1/M1)   2   4

PORT-VLAN 200, Name WAN, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off
 Untagged Ports: (U1/M1)  24
   Tagged Ports: (U1/M1)   1   3

where 1/2/1-4 = 10 Gb links to ESXi-01 & ESXi-02
where 1/1/5-24 = ethernet drops throught home
where 1/1/12 = workstation that needs to access ESXi

VLAN 10 Net-Management
VLAN 20 Net-vMotion
VLAN 30 Net-Storage
VLAN 40 Net-VM
VLAN 100 LAN
VLAN 200 WAN
etc

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Each port can only have a single untagged VLAN (in dual-mode or otherwise). I'm fairly certain this is true of any switch.
Right - that was the implied problem encountered - so what is the solution where I have a workstation on a port that I need to belong to multiple VLANs (feel like I'm missing something obvious).

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
The solution is obvious - you need a NIC that supports VLANs if the workstation needs to be on multiple VLANs.

The only other alternative is multiple NICs, each on a port with a different untagged VLAN.