Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yamakasi

Dec 11, 2018
That would be amazing! I'm trying to find out how it works as some manufactures free such features as well on EOL where vendors/resellers don't even know anything about the license EOL or not.

I hope to hear! Thanks!

Yamakasi

Dec 11, 2018
OK, good to know, are they still availble and what are the expected costs ? What do you receive as well, the license or a firmware based on the license/serial ?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
they are EOL devices so you cannot purchase licenses directly from ruckus/brocade anymore, there are some places like terabit systems selling old stock licenses for around $1k each

it's a license xml file generated based on your switch's license ID

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
My icx6610 arrived yesterday.
1 psu and 2 fan modules for some reason.
rev B psu.
Amazed how little noise it has, powerconnect 6224 sounds like a jet in comparison :)
Got it flashed to v8 without any issues.
Waiting for cables and second psu before starting to play with the 40gig ports :)

-j

Reactions: fohdeesha

maes

Nov 11, 2018
Modding my 6450 a bit.
- Fan swap to completely silent Noctuas
- mounting a 2nd fan in the provided mounting point (and fan header) (2 Noctuas slightly exceed the total CFM of the original fan, while remaining completely quiet)
- cutting hole in casing
- 3D printed insert for hole to provide less restrictive flow to both fans.

switch fan bracket v2.png
The bottom-left screw hole lines up with the bottom-left screw hole in the case itself.

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
I know that someone on the forum has chopped the 6610 top cover and placed a fan to help with the airflow.
1. Could you please post some pictures with the endresult?
2. was it worth it from a noise perspective (is it quieter now?)

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I know that someone on the forum has chopped the 6610 top cover and placed a fan to help with the airflow.
1. Could you please post some pictures with the endresult?
2. was it worth it from a noise perspective (is it quieter now?)
I believe it’s the psu fans that are noisy on the 6610.
not much you can do, I think.
(surprised how little noise it has myself)

-j

scr0llwheel

Oct 28, 2018
I picked up my 6450 from a local e-recycling center today. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm loving it. It's scratching an itch that I haven't enjoyed since playing with new tech in college.

Basic question: How can I check the license that I have on it? I was worried about erasing the current license since that's what the help menu seemed to indicate.

u238

Aug 11, 2018
I picked up my 6450 from a local e-recycling center today. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm loving it. It's scratching an itch that I haven't enjoyed since playing with new tech in college.

Basic question: How can I check the license that I have on it? I was worried about erasing the current license since that's what the help menu seemed to indicate.
As already mentioned, the command is show license. You'll keep any license that's already on the device if you follow the guide.

scr0llwheel

Oct 28, 2018
This is the result of show license

Code:
Brocade-ICX6450-24P#show license
Index    Lic Mode        Lic Name               ....      Lic Type    Status     Lic Period    Lic Capacity
Stack unit 1:
1        Node Lock       ICX6450-10G-LIC-POD    <snip>    Normal      Active     Unlimited         4
2        Node Lock       ICX6450-PREM-LIC-SW    <snip>    Normal      Active     Unlimited         1

Does this mean I have a full 10g license for all four SFP+ ports?

Reactions: tommybackeast

snoturtle

Apr 11, 2017
Has anyone found either generic rack ears that work or a cheap place to buy the Brocade ones?

I did find that the rear rack ears from Crown amps fit 2 of the 3 holes but they are over sized and need 4 rack screw spaces instead of 3.