Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Sorry this happened to you, it sucks. I hope you find out who did this and send the info to Patrick and they get banned from here.

I for one found this thread extremely helpful and hope you keep the data here and appreciate everything you contribute to STH.
Same sentiments here. That seriously sucks. I've been lurking in this thread (and the rest of the STH boards) for a while now, soaking up information. I currently have a Dell 5548P stacked with a 5524 (needed the PoE plus 4 10GbE ports--seemed like a good idea at the time). Personally, I had been seriously considering one of these switches so I could consolidate down to just 1U and one switch, likely when I move to and wire up a new house sometime next year. Bummer.

Reactions: mixmansc

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
to whoever tried to sell them on ebay (your auction of 2x switches):

1. you can come forward privately so I know who it was and what license ID's were affected, and I will let it be water under the bridge, and this thread and my license offer for everyone returns to normal

2. if not, I'll report the licenses stolen to brocade (ruckus) so they'll be blacklisted in future firmware, I'll report your ebay account and listing, and this thread will be closed, ruining it for everybody

up to you FAM

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
"Gives me WAY more control than the built in dhcp server in FastIron or pfsense, and with glass-isc-dhcp you get really nice visualizations and lookup of all leases that you wouldn't get otherwise: Akkadius/glass-isc-dhcp"

Is there way to install this Glass DHCP in my ubuntu VM as a failover DHCP server when I down my pfsense for major upgrades?

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015

1. you can come forward privately so I know who it was and what license ID's were affected, and I will let it be water under the bridge, and this thread and my license offer for everyone returns to normal

2. if not, I'll report the licenses stolen to brocade (ruckus) so they'll be blacklisted in future firmware, I'll report your ebay account and listing, and this thread will be closed, ruining it for everybody

up to you FAM

Brutal, just absolutely brutal. Thanks for everything you've done. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we deeply appreciate it. I don't know if the person(s) responsible are contributors to this community, but it is sad that just a few bad apples destroy these things for everyone; chasing a few extra dollars <sigh>

kapone

May 23, 2015
This is what redundant hypervisors with HA/live migrate are for. I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a service even for a couple minutes, it's been a couple years at least. Pfsense goes in vm's on each host too, nothing like hitless pf upgrades!
In a production environment, absolutely. In a home/home lab setting...that might be a tad overkill, hence my preference for a low power physical machine.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
To everyone who I've already sent licenses - count yourself lucky, as that's the last anyone will be getting

Just found out someone not only sold my licenses on ebay, but did one better and gave them to an ebay seller, who has been selling switches with them loaded. The ebay seller might be the STH member himself, I'm not sure yet. tempted to wipe this entire thread
The inane greed and stupidity of some people are beyond belief.

All I can say is this entire thread has been a vast help for myself; and while I respect whatever decision you make; I for one hope you keep it up.

**** you whomever did this; may you get every virus and malware known to man.

Reactions: tony& and mixmansc

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018

up to you FAM
To whomever did "this" - we all have done stupid shit in our lives, everyone here. EVERYONE. This offer fohdeesha is offering you to simple PRIVATELY admit to him you did this; and his offer to let it slide is beyond fair to you. Please do the honorable thing and privately tell him you did 'this'.

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Excellent...just picked up a 6450-24 for $109. I wasn't after the POE version, my 6610 looks after that for me but is way to noisy to be work near

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Excellent...just picked up a 6450-24 for $109. I wasn't after the POE version, my 6610 looks after that for me but is way to noisy to be work near
speaking of icx6610 noise, I think I had an epiphany. my 6610's have always been quiet, certainly not loud enough to hear through a closet door let alone in another room like some of you are reporting. I thought a lot of you just had WILDLY different definitions of "loud"

However I just picked up another ICX6610, and it's LOUD. From what I can tell, it's the rev A power supplies. That's the only thing different in this chassis from the other 5 or 6 I have

As previously mentioned, with Rev A's it won't even spin down after boot unless 2 are plugged in - but I realized even after they do spin down, their definition of "idle" is at least twice as loud (if not more) than my other ICX6610's with rev B and rev C supplies. It seems no matter how you cut it the rev A supplies are loud

That would certainly explain the huge range of reactions people have had to the 6610 noise level. If you have rev a supplies and want to make it twice as quiet, search around ebay for rev b or rev c (make sure their airflow is in the right direction)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
hmm, the only other thing that's different with this chassis is the reverse airflow fan trays and psu's (intake from the rear), but I know a few people in this thread have reverse airflow models and weren't complaining about noise

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Brocade 6450-24P : are there any downsides that i am missing in my thought to mount the switch in the REAR of the Server Rack? I have my first Server Rack Cabinet, with Front and Rear doors; but access from removeable side panels. I hope to have all needed things by this weekend to put all the devices inside - I have removed the top cover from the 6450-24p and can see what screws need to come out in order to reverse the two fans. The benefits to a top-of-rack switch mounted in the REAR is obvious given easy cabling; but are there any downsides that my in-experience is missing? (the rear door hinge opens, so i'll have access to add / move switch cables). thanks

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
Glad to see that license issue got resolved pretty quickly! Some people just have no scruples and will take advantage of any situation to make a quick buck. Same sort of thing happened with Dahua IP cameras that were made for the China market. Those are a LOT cheaper than ones made for international markets but people got on Aliexpress and bought them anyways. A few have figured out to hack the firmware in them by locating a set of TTL serial points on the board inside them. So they posted instructions on how to mod the firmware to swap the language files to English. Works great but there is still an issue, if you ever attempt to update the firmware it bricks the camera and the newer NVR and camera firmware have additional protections built in to block China market devices. Did not matter though - chinese sellers started buying the China market cameras in bulk, using the instructions, hacking the firmware and then flooding them onto unsuspecting buyers on eBay and Amazon. After tons of complaints most do at least now put in a tiny disclaimer not to every try to update the firmware to fix issues, improve security, and add features.

Also interesting info on the 6610 power supplies. I'd bid on the two I linked yesterday some seller has on eBay but those are the 1000w ones for the POE models. Would probably work just fine in my non-poe 6610 but they are really extreme overkill for a non-poe model. But that makes me also wonder - is there any different circuitry inside that differentiates the non-poe models from the poe models? Could it just be that the non-poe models do not have sufficient power supplies? All of the poe commands are in there since they use the same firmware. I'd also venture to guess that in practice the poe power supplies would not really draw much, if any, more power than a non-poe model if no poe capabilities are being utilized. Most modern power supplies only draw what is being pulled from their load. As an example, my Dell T7910 workstation has a 1300w power supply but at idle it only draws maybe 150w. If I have some heavy processing tasks going that use all 24 cores the power draw goes up accordingly.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
so the POE power supplies are actually two power supplies in one. Both the PoE and non-PoE power supplies have a ~250w 12V supply in them, that's identical between them. This is what actually powers everything in the switch. But the PoE PSU has an additional ~750w 54V supply in it, and the PoE daughterboard takes power from this rail and injects it via the PoE PHY components onto PoE enabled ports.

So with a POE PSU in a switch that doesn't even have a POE daughterboard, the 54V rail will not even be touched/used. The PoE commands are there, but it's smart enough to give you an error if you try them on a non-poe chassis, or a poe chassis with non-poe supplies. The normal 12V rail that will be used will be coming from the same ~250w supply as a non-poe PSU

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Brocade 6450-24P : are there any downsides that i am missing in my thought to mount the switch in the REAR of the Server Rack? I have my first Server Rack Cabinet, with Front and Rear doors; but access from removeable side panels. I hope to have all needed things by this weekend to put all the devices inside - I have removed the top cover from the 6450-24p and can see what screws need to come out in order to reverse the two fans. The benefits to a top-of-rack switch mounted in the REAR is obvious given easy cabling; but are there any downsides that my in-experience is missing? (the rear door hinge opens, so i'll have access to add / move switch cables). thanks
nope should work fine. just keep in mind you don't need to reverse airflow unless your servers (heat generators) actually extend all the way to the rear posts of the rack (so the heat is exhausting right into the front face of the 6450). If they're short servers that end in the middle of the rack, and you reverse airflow of the 6450 and rear mount it, it's now going to be taking in air from it's rear, which is towards the middle of the rack where the short servers are exhausting - obviously not preferred compared to just leaving it stock and having it pull in fresher air from the very back of the rack