Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

explosivelobster

Jul 28, 2018
no, make sure you're in the ICX6450 folder from the zip. It sounds like you're in the FCX/6610 folder. Follow the guide exactly (make sure you're on the guide for the ICX6450 and not the fcx/6610) - the guide will use the exact filenames you should be
Ah yes I was indeed looking at the 6610! How do I know if I have a C12 model, I've only ever seen one 6450 in the flesh?
EDIT: Ah sorry a quick google shows me it's a teeny desktop switch, I don't have one of those ;)

Thanks again for your help!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
lol nice timing, just took the zip offline for 15 seconds to remove an old signature file. try now

You'd know if you had the C12 model, it's a teeny little thing with no 10gbE ports:

Reactions: explosivelobster

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
Got my 6610-48 in..... what a nice piece of hardware! Many thanks to fohdeesha for another excellent and easy to follow guide! Mine is non-poe by the way. Mine came with two of the Rev a Emerson power supplies. Yeah, those buggers are loud at startup but really no worse than a couple of the servers I have. Once they initialize the fans calm way down. Just to see, I'll try and remember to see what the power draw is. Since mine is not POE I cannot imagine its that much. Just sitting here idling, with 1 copper port in use, the air temp at the rear fan is 80(F) just sitting in the open with 76 degree ambient temps. 4 degrees above ambient is practically nothing. I'm sure it will go up some once I have 30+ ports active though.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
FastIron 08.0.30 Command Reference Guide | Technical Documents | Ruckus Wireless Support

Page 1698:

username username-string { access-time begin-time [ to end-time ] | enable | expires days | [privilege privilege-level ]
{ password password-string | create-password password-string | nopassword } }

no username username-string { access-time begin-time [ to end-time ] | enable | expires days | [privilege privilege-level ]
{ password password-string | create-password password-string | nopassword } }

Reactions: fohdeesha

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
So.... on some more testing. If anyone is curious, the ram in the 6610-48 is a single PC2-5300 512MB REGISTERED ECC DDR2 667 SORDIMM. Also if anyone is curious, it will not fully boot with a non-ECC 1GB SODIMM. It does go into the initial memory test menu though and there is an option in that menu to disable ECC but I did not try it as I'm not sure if that is just for testing or if that is a function that "sticks" and would allow you to run non-ecc ram in it. Personally I doubt upgrading it to 1GB or more of ram would have any benefit but who knows. It might actually run slower or boot slower due to having to test/address more memory, it might work fine and see it but have zero benefit and no realistic effect at all, it might even ignore it if the code is written in a way that the amount of ram to be addressed is hard coded. If I had a registered ECC 1GB stick I'd stick that in and go with it but I've rarely ever seen small form factor ECC ram so that is not something I have laying around. Its mostly only used in blade servers...

I have a Kill-a-Watt here and sitting idle with just a single gigabit port connected, and both power supplies going through the kill a watt it is showing right about 1.15A, 122 watts, .90 PF. So its right in line with what fohdeesha put in the original post. I could make a cord up and clamp it with a Fluke but I just dont see that being necessary. Somewhat surprisingly at boot with the fans running full tilt its only about 75 watts so those little fans are pretty darn efficient. I figured with those little buggers screaming that it would have been higher. Obviously many of the chips are not started up yet during boot but once booted it settles down and the main cpu and other chips are all running its right on what he said it would be.

kapone

May 23, 2015
At full tilt, those fans are anything but efficient.

You're seeing lower power at "boot", because the ASICs haven't fired up. Out of that 75w, more than half is probably just fans. Once it boots up, the fans slow down, consuming less power, but the ASICs are warmed up, and they consume a ton of power for a switch of this caliber.

u238

Aug 11, 2018
I got my 6450-48 today. Is the fan supposed to ramp down after boot up? Mine is steady and loud enough that I can hear it through a closed door easily. Are there any alternative fans that have been confirmed to work? I see that some people have had trouble getting replacement fans to spin.

Last edited:

explosivelobster

Jul 28, 2018
I got my 6450-48 today. Is the fan supposed to ramp down after boot up? Mine is steady and pretty loud. I can hear it through a closed door easily. Are there any alternative fans that have been confirmed to work?
Make sure you've upgraded the firmware, the fans should slow down and be less intrusive after the switch has begun booting (30-60 secs or so)...

u238

Aug 11, 2018
Make sure you've upgraded the firmware, the fans should slow down and be less intrusive after the switch has begun booting (30-60 secs or so)...
I followed the setup guide and flashed the boot and image .bin files successfully, but I still have a steady, loud fan. If I do "show chassis" I get:

Code:
ICX6450-48 Router>show chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:
Power supply 1 (NA - AC - Regular) present, status ok
Power supply 2 not present
Fan ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
        1 -> 2 @ 69 deg-C
        1 <- 2 @ 64 deg-C
Sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 36.0 deg-C
Sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 42.5 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 66.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 76.0 deg-C
It looks like the fan is working correctly. Maybe I just have a loud one? I removed the cover to check and found the fan is a Foxconn model PIA040H12L.

u238

Aug 11, 2018
Update: I just checked the fan headers and they are outputting 12v always. It's definitely not ramping down the fan speed.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Since the show chassis output shows that it's trying to output speed 1 which is like 4,5v, it sounds like you have a damaged board, the PWM driver for the fan headers anyway

u238

Aug 11, 2018
I wonder if it's related to being an old hardware version or something. It had old software and was only l2 until I flashed it with your guide.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
it's quite common for them to come with the l2 only image and really old firmware - there was never a revision of these that didn't have fan control, so there's definitely something wrong with your board if it's putting out a constant 12v.

If you don't want to replace the switch, you could replace the fan with a REALLY slow fan, like one that will spin the equivalent of speed 1 at the full 12v. I'm sure there's a couple really low CFM sunon models

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
MIB files are new to me (being used in Dell OpenManage Enterprise).

Are there MIB files (with Traps) for Brocade 6450-24p ?

A google search was rather confusing.

I did find:

Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.30p SNMP MIBs for ICX 64xx Series Switches (ICX64R) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.30p SNMP MIBs for ICX 64xx Series Switches (ICX64S) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

But don't understand the difference of R and S versions; for there are two different MIB files; with differing MD5 checksums

Last edited:

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
R and S look like they're differentiating between Routing and Switching firmwares.

Reactions: tommybackeast