Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Got it working, thanks! Is it bad to enable PoE on all ports?
I just enable it on ports I know will have PoE devices. when it's enabled on all ports at the same time with one power supply the default allocation is something like 12 watts per port instead of the full. You can override that for certain ports, but easier to just enable the ports you need.

if you do enable all ports, turn off legacy PoE detection, as I've seen some devices trigger this and the switch will try to send them power (legacy PoE was identified only by a certain resistance/response on one of the pairs, and I've seen switches that accidentally have this same resistance and trigger a detection). turning it off is just "no legacy-inline-power" at the global config level. make sure to "write memory" to save any cli changes

How do I enable https for web management?

fastiron-08030n-securityguide.pdf p31

Gamble

Aug 20, 2018
those transceivers will work, but you need reversed / type B / key up to key up fiber:

https://i.imgur.com/ZtbUv2Q.jpg

the MPO/MPT connectors need to be female, eg no pins sticking out (the pins are in the optic)

You're going to pay quite a bit for this, places like fiberstore do not sell MPO/MTP anywhere near this length, and 99% of the listings on ebay are key up to key down, which will not work. On top of that, remember that with mtp/mpo, for a single cable, you're actually buying 6 pairs of fiber. It's gunna be a few hundred dollars

this is the cheapest I could find that explicity states it's type B (flipped) 50M 12 STRAND MTP MPO OM3 50u 50/125 MICRON FIBER OPTIC PATCH CABLE 10GB AQUA | eBay

If you're feeling adventerous, you can also buy a straight through cable which is much cheaper, like: MTP Female 50M Interconnect Cable Assembly, Flat Ribbon, Plenum Rated, 12-Fibers | eBay

then use this method to pull the key housing off one end, and roll it over/flip it. DO NOT pull off the inner housing/spring clip area like he starts to do at 2 minutes, since you only need to flip the outer housing and are not changing the gender (you're only changing the polarity)

I can't thank you enough for all the awesome info you've provided throughout the thread! I opted for what you recommended and did the key swap myself. I was a bit nervous, but honestly wasn't that bad after watching the video a couple of times.

I've now got two 6610s running 50m apart in a full stack setup using the method you provided for 1/2/1 - 2/2/1 and 1/2/6 - 2/2/6

Thank you again!!

Reactions: fohdeesha

Gamble

Aug 20, 2018
I'm comparing my two 6610s and noticed something odd about the temperatures. Both units have 1 PSU and 1 Fan. They're both running in the same room temperature. One shows an internal temp of 53C and the other shows 71.5C. The unit with 53C is running a Rev B PSU and the unit with 71.5C is running a Rev A PSU. I've opened both switches and see no dust or blockages anywhere. I've also attempted compressed air through both PSUs and Fans. Really just wondering if this is a Rev A PSU issue or possibly something else? Can anyone with a Rev A PSU check the internal temps for comparison?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Are you sure you're looking at the same temp readout on both? the show chassis output has like 8 different temps - is it in a corner or up against a wall or cabinet where it's sucking in it's own exhaust?

I would also check the power supply fan is actually spinning, I know I saw someone else here report that his rev a PS fans would stop occasionally

Gamble

Aug 20, 2018
I was comparing the Fan controlled temperature, CPU, and Stacking card. I was mostly looking at Fan controlled temperature. What's interesting here is I only just noticed the fan is in a different spot on the hotter unit. Unit 1, the cooler unit, had the PSU and Fan in position 2. Unit 2, the hotter unit, had PSU in position 2 and the fan in position 1. I just moved the fan into position 2 and the temp has dropped to a much more reasonable 59C overall

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I was comparing the Fan controlled temperature, CPU, and Stacking card. I was mostly looking at Fan controlled temperature. What's interesting here is I only just noticed the fan is in a different spot on the hotter unit. Unit 1, the cooler unit, had the PSU and Fan in position 2. Unit 2, the hotter unit, had PSU in position 2 and the fan in position 1. I just moved the fan into position 2 and the temp has dropped to a much more reasonable 59C overall
Any chance you show some pictures of what you are describing? I have 2 REV A PSU, and they are loud! Perhaps knowing what position 1 and 2 is and positioning can help quiet this beast down

Gamble

Aug 20, 2018
Any chance you show some pictures of what you are describing? I have 2 REV A PSU, and they are loud! Perhaps knowing what position 1 and 2 is and positioning can help quiet this beast down
I can take a photo in a bit, but if you're looking at the qsfp ports fromfthe back it would be the slots to the left. In my situation I only have 1 PSU and 1 fan in each unit.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
I just enable it on ports I know will have PoE devices. when it's enabled on all ports at the same time with one power supply the default allocation is something like 12 watts per port instead of the full. You can override that for certain ports, but easier to just enable the ports you need.

if you do enable all ports, turn off legacy PoE detection, as I've seen some devices trigger this and the switch will try to send them power (legacy PoE was identified only by a certain resistance/response on one of the pairs, and I've seen switches that accidentally have this same resistance and trigger a detection). turning it off is just "no legacy-inline-power" at the global config level. make sure to "write memory" to save any cli changes

fastiron-08030n-securityguide.pdf p31
Thanks for the PoE tips! I have low-end PoE switches and never had so much control.

Enabling https was fun. Commands just work and response instantaneous. Love these Brocade switches. Too bad the web interface is horrible.

KJKJ

Aug 30, 2018
In my ICX-6450, I installed the MB40201VX-000U-G99 Sunon Fan, but if anyone is ordering it I suggest looking at the new PN, as the one I got is now obsolete.
See info below...this is from Digi-Key.
Overall it is an improvement from the stock...but could it be better?

EOL or Obsolete Part
MB40201VX-000U-G99 259-1646-ND FAN AXIAL 40X20MM 12VDC WIRE SUNON FANS Lead free RoHS Compliant
Possible Substitutes
MF40201VX-1000U-G99 259-1848-ND FAN AXIAL 40X20MM VAPO 12VDC SUNON FANS Lead free RoHS Compliant

Also,
Did anyone try the Noctua NF-A4x20 in the ICX6450?

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
In my ICX-6450, I installed the MB40201VX-000U-G99 Sunon Fan, but if anyone is ordering it I suggest looking at the new PN, as the one I got is now obsolete.
See info below...this is from Digi-Key.
Overall it is an improvement from the stock...but could it be better?

EOL or Obsolete Part
MB40201VX-000U-G99 259-1646-ND FAN AXIAL 40X20MM 12VDC WIRE SUNON FANS Lead free RoHS Compliant
Possible Substitutes
MF40201VX-1000U-G99 259-1848-ND FAN AXIAL 40X20MM VAPO 12VDC SUNON FANS Lead free RoHS Compliant

Also,
Did anyone try the Noctua NF-A4x20 in the ICX6450?
I tried the NF-A4x10, I never got it to spin up.

I ended up going with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WLQAKE/

Last edited:

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
I've got the fan installed in an ICX6450-24 (non p) and it's almost silent. This switch is installed under my desk in my bedroom/home office so low noise was the priority. I thought about swapping the fans out in my 6450-24P but I have it installed down in the basement at the telco entry point where noise doesn't really matter.

The switch circuitry makes more noticeable noise than the fan does most of the time, it's pretty quiet. You can plug the fans in while the switch is on without too much risk and you'll hear some pretty obvious PWM circuitry noise with the fan installed. The switch is dead silent without a fan.

This is a 6.3CFM fan though, so I'm not sure I'd put a pair into a -24P. I'm probably being paranoid but I'd go up a notch or two on the RPM ladder in the same model line to keep the temps down.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
theoretically the 24P heat output should be the same as the 24 plain, give or take a few watts, until you start loading up a ton of ports with PoE devices and the power supply has to start doing some real work. I would think 2x fans would be more than enough for a 24p with a couple PoE devices, I would give it a go and just watch the "show chassis output". Remember that when these things get anywhere near too hot, the switch kicks the fans into full duty cycle to compensate, and so far I don't think I've seen *anyone's* switch get that hot with aftermarket fans yet

Reactions: arglebargle

KJKJ

Aug 30, 2018
My is the 48, not POE, I was messing around with it yesterday, and the most I got was 41.5 and 53 on the two sensors. But it was not loaded heavy. Will try more in a few days.

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
I think my temps went up by like 7-10C when I swapped in the 6.3CFM fan, in the end the temps still weren't high enough to trigger full fan speed.

explosivelobster

Jul 28, 2018
Just received my 6450-48P and about to upgrade the firmwares (plus it seems to have 2 10GbE licences installed too, bonus!). This is my first POE brocade, is the 'fcx_poeplus_02.1.0.b004.fw' file the one I should be flashing?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
no, make sure you're in the ICX6450 folder from the zip. It sounds like you're in the FCX/6610 folder. Follow the guide exactly (make sure you're on the guide for the ICX6450 and not the fcx/6610) - the guide will use the exact filenames you should be