Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
I can confirm later but I believe they do. You might want to look at airflow if you do that though, the fans vent out the back of the switch and blowing hot air out and down might not give the best result.

Gamble

Aug 20, 2018
Is it possible to update the SSH server? It is using an old algorithm so I have to connect with ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
I just setup my first switch and had the same problem. I don't know if you solved the issue or not, but instead of changing anything on the switch I made an alias on my client to make it easier to remember:
  1. sudo nano .bashrc ( or .bash_aliases or .bash_profile)
  2. Add a new line: alias myswitch='ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 root@IP-ADDRESS'
  3. Save the file
  4. Source the file: source ~/.bashrc

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14 and MikeWebb

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Can't these be specified on a per-site basis instead of turning them on globally?

There has to be some kind of backward compatibility that's (relatively) safe.

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
You should also be able to edit your ~/.ssh/config and include per-host configuration so you don't even need the alias. I haven't ever spent the time to configure a host this way though now that I know how to do it I think I might set most of my internal traffic to faster/HW accelerated encryption algorithms.

Scroll down to the answer here: Specifying SSH KexAlgorithms works at CLI but not via ssh_config

Reactions: smbrj

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
Yes, edit your ~/.ssh/config. This is what I have:

Code:
Host icx6450 icx6450.localdomain 10.1.1.75
    KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
    PreferredAuthentications keyboard-interactive,password
Edit the Host line to match your environment. The PreferredAuthentications isn't necessary, I just wanted to not offer my public key since I haven't set it up yet.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
Hi, both of my 6450 do not have rack ears and it looks like rack ears are selling for $50+ on ebay/amazon. Does anybody have a suggestion for universal rack ears or some other solution?
thanks!

mixmansc

Feb 15, 2016
Frigging prices on these have gone nutso! :(

Finally scored a 48 port 6610 (non-POE) though. Figures that literally the day I finally get around to installing the LB6M I run across this which fits needs even better. Seems like every time I come here I find some new storage or networking thing to spend money on. lol

Reactions: Sleyk and fohdeesha

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Yeah, the prices on the 6610s are nuts after popularity spiked. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the 6610 and just buy an SX6012 so I can link my high bandwidth machines over IB at like 1/2 the cost and 1/3 the power consumption.

Reactions: Z3R0

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
SX6012 + ICX6610 has been the best purchase combo for me, especially after following the resources available around here.

6012 does my cluster (sic) fabric, I'm still working through RDMA setup, this uplinks 40Gbs to my 6610 which handles the 10Gbe side of thinks and POE to my AP's, ipcams, viop phones and I'm now looking at the poe hack for rapberry pi (for z-wave).

I might get another 6012 and 6610

Reactions: dmitry.n.medvedev

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
prices have gone up 50 or 100 bucks, but I try to keep it in perspective. I dug up the PO from work in 2014, we paid $3400 per 24u non-poe chassis. Bought a couple used on ebay in 2017 for $500, and I felt like I was stealing from someone. The fact they're regularly at the 300 mark now is incredible in my mind. That's for a chassis with 10mbps, 100mbps, 1000mbps, 10gbps, 40gbps, all the l3 features you could want, SDN, MACSEC. etc, all in 1RU

I don't think I've mentioned it in this particular thread, but the ICX6610's do support MACSEC on all the front 10gbe ports, for 80gbps of realtime AES-128 encryption of all your traffic in between compatible MACSEC endpoints

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
SX6012 + ICX6610 has been the best purchase combo for me, especially after following the resources available around here.

6012 does my cluster (sic) fabric, I'm still working through RDMA setup, this uplinks 40Gbs to my 6610 which handles the 10Gbe side of thinks and POE to my AP's, ipcams, viop phones and I'm now looking at the poe hack for rapberry pi (for z-wave).

I might get another 6012 and 6610
Take a look at these guys if you like to PoE things. Super cheap for standards complaint PoE. I've added them to a couple wireless routers, cable modems, a thin client, even my uverse cable box.

Ag9700

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Does it at least get way quieter after boot? After how many people in here ended up having them run full speed because of older power supplies and what not, I'm now paranoid half of you are living with switches that are way louder than they should be :p
It stays the same, I'm thinking of replacing the rev A power supply with a rev c or two rev B and I think a chassis fan needs to be replaced as it has a high pitched whine.

In the scheme of things the 6610 is waaaay quieter then a EMC 6012 but and marginally quiter then a MLNX-OS 6012, but I think I can get the the Mellanox 6012 quiter with some fan replacements.

In order of noisy to quite:
Mellanox SX6012 (needed ear plugs at first but much better now and will endeavor to get it more quite)
Brocade ICX6610 (maybe a PS change will help along a chassis fan change)
Storage Cluster (8 noctua fans@ is still 16 fans but pretty quite..oh and SAS rust)
Juniper SRX320 (I did a fan replacement, near silent)
Compute node (near silent)

Noise is only an issue now as I'm in a small open plan villa. I'm building a new home and all this and more will have it's own rack in a noise insulated storage room.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well like we discussed in PM (at least I'm pretty sure that was you), even if it's another rev a, having two of them plugged in at the same time will make it quiet wayyy down. Rev A's only stay in full speed if there's 1 PSU active - with 2 psu's they behave like any other revision. I honestly dunno how anyone can stand the full boot fan speed. You only need rev b or rev c if you want it to quiet down with a single PSU plugged in

I know it would be quite easy to overwrite the revision string in the PSU EEPROM so the switch thinks it's a rev B and runs it at normal slow speed even with 1 PSU, but then I realized that probably wouldn't be a good guide to post. Like everything else on this switch, there's probably a very good reason those revisions run at a full speed unless there's two of them - the switch relies mainly on the PSU's for chassis cooling, the revision A psu's probably had a slower fan model or something so it runs them as fast as it can unless there's two of them working together

Last edited:

explosivelobster

Jul 28, 2018
Managed to snag an ICX 6450-48P to pair with my 6610-24 and I was wondering what my options were for stacking (if that's the correct terminology)... I have one of the 4x10 QSFP ports and 4 of the 10GbE SFP ports available so either a QSFP-SFP breakout or some SFP links I guess? What are the commands that I should be looking up to achieve this?