Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Keystone related question: Normally, keystones plug into a 1gang keystone wall plate. I have a need to install a LC Keystone plug by itself into the wall underneath a baseboard heat system. So I have about 1" - 1.5" of actual wall (right about the floor). I cannot fit a 1gang plate in there turned sideways. Any thoughts on how to do this? (only idea I had was taking 1gang keystone plate, gently sawing it to 2" x 2", then drilling two holes in it for 2 screws to attach to drywall.
Normally you'd install the plate with one of these, rather than screwing directly into the wall.
1-Gang Non-Metallic Low-Voltage Old-Work Bracket-SC100RR - The Home Depot

Not sure what a baseboard heat system looks like, could you install above it instead?

Maybe get creative with surface mount boxes?
https://smile.amazon.com/s?url=sear...+mount+key,electronics,139&crid=3VBY1TKLEI8AQ

Reactions: tommybackeast

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
Normally you'd install the plate with one of these, rather than screwing directly into the wall.

Not sure what a baseboard heat system looks like, could you install above it instead?

https://smile.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=surface+mount+keystone+box&sprefix=surface+mount+key,electronics,139&crid=3VBY1TKLEI8AQ
I have a bad taste for surface mount keystone boxes. They are a sight for sore eyes. The ones I've experienced are cheesy. Keystones and covers pop off with the slightest push.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018

https://smile.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=surface+mount+keystone+box&sprefix=surface+mount+key,electronics,139&crid=3VBY1TKLEI8AQ
First, thanks for the URL for the surface mount boxes - I think that might work for me. I knew someone here would have an idea :)

This is not my photo but https://www.deelat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Traditional-Electric-Baseboard-Heater.jpg gives a sense of what I meant by Baseboard Heat - in this photo, the white wood baseboard to either side is not behind the metal baseboard heat. On the bottom of the baseboard heat this is 1-2" of drywall "underneath" it - that section is where I need to punch through and use a LC fiber keystone ; and while I am very familiar with the $1 1-gang Low Voltage Old-Work plastic bracket, I dont have room for it; underneath the baseboard heat.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I have a bad taste for surface mount keystone boxes. They are a sight for sore eyes. The ones I've experienced are cheesy. Keystones and covers pop off with the slightest push.
I wonder if this would work https://www.amazon.com/TEZONG-coupl...8&qid=1535601508&sr=8-15&keywords=lc+keystone One of those, seemingly with two female LC connectors. Punch small hole into drywall to precisely fit one of these, and then carefully throw some white chalk on the opening, being careful to not get chalk inside the LC connector. It will be underneath a Baseboard Heat unit; and not visible.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
have you checked how hot it is directly underneath those baseboard heaters? if they're anything like my baseboard heaters, it would cook anything plastic I installed there pretty quick

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
have you checked how hot it is directly underneath those baseboard heaters? if they're anything like my baseboard heaters, it would cook anything plastic I installed there pretty quick
It's actually natural gas baseboard heat; and it is fully touchable. if I had to guess, the actual copper pipe carrying hot water inside is maybe 100-110F; but the area 2-3" underneath where there is drywall access (right above the floor) is just fine temp wise. But the baseboard heat goes all the way along the two walls; and I was trying to lay the cable neatly along the floor/wall (underneath the baseboard heat )

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
ohh OK I was thinking electric baseboards like in the picture you linked. I know my electric baseboards get terrifyingly hot (and make my 42u rack of crap's power draw seem like nothing, RIP)

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Finally had some time to have a look at my 6610. Man. this thing is loud, bad quite compared to my new Mellanox/EMC SX6012.

It came with a password, old firmware and no licenses (and was packed with no foam so one ear was bent along with the crash bars at the back,,,but oh well). Thanks to a quick google and fohdeesha's guide. I had privileged access and the latest firmware running in now time. NICE

brocade ICX6610-24P.PNG

Thanks man.

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Finally had some time to have a look at my 6610. Man. this thing is loud, bad quite compared to my new Mellanox/EMC SX6012.

Does it at least get way quieter after boot? After how many people in here ended up having them run full speed because of older power supplies and what not, I'm now paranoid half of you are living with switches that are way louder than they should be :p

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Does it at least get way quieter after boot? After how many people in here ended up having them run full speed because of older power supplies and what not, I'm now paranoid half of you are living with switches that are way louder than they should be :p
fohdeesha :

A most sincere Thank You for the help given this morning.

Reactions: fohdeesha

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I just received my 6450 and 6610. Got a Rev.A PSU for the 6610. But after it booted it became very quiet.

It seems like I got one that has been recently updated. Did I also get it with with everything activated?
Screenshot_20180830_184903.png

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Amazing! I was looking at a dual port 40GigE into a Media Server then out from the switch via 10GigE. Which model would you recommend, also I was thinking about getting two of them for redundancy.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Amazing! I was looking at a dual port 40GigE into a Media Server then out from the switch via 10GigE. Which model would you recommend, also I was thinking about getting two of them for redundancy.
stack of two ICX6610's, then you can connect important hosts to both switches via LACP, so you can lose a switch and not notice

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I have the 6450-24p and for me, the switch is very quiet; and uses about 30-35watts. A friend was asking about the 6610-48p. Hard question to answer, but "now many times louder is the 6610-48p vs the 6450 "?