Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Also have you gotten that DAC breakout cable yet? When you do, try all 4x of the breakouts and let me know if they work. Someone PM'd me with an issue using a fibrestore breakout DAC, only one of the links would work, it's possible the breakout ports do not have the juice electrically to support 4x sfp breakout. I've only been using optical breakout cables (which work great) so I have no way to test

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Also have you gotten that DAC breakout cable yet? When you do, try all 4x of the breakouts and let me know if they work. Someone PM'd me with an issue using a fibrestore breakout DAC, only one of the links would work, it's possible the breakout ports do not have the juice electrically to support 4x sfp breakout. I've only been using optical breakout cables (which work great) so I have no way to test
Yes.. The DAC breakout cable from Ebay is the one that is stuck in the slot. I will test the 4x sfp breakout cables tonight. Tonight I am converting my current network setup to the 2x Brocade ICX6610 switches.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
just pull the release tab and wiggle the thing up down left and right while pulling out hard, it'll come eventually

I feel like I've typed this sentence before
No luck in getting the breakout cable out of the QSFP slot. This is the active controller switch in my stack. I really need to remove the entire interface slot from the unit and try to remove it that way.

I have a third unit arriving today. So, I would like to remove the active controller switch in my stack and promote the standby switch to the active controller switch and then use the third switch as my new standby switch in the stack. Not sure how to do this, I will do some research so I can install these switches in production tonight.

That way I can remove the interface slot from the switch that has the stuck cable and try to remove the stuck cable that way.

Last edited:

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Any guides on these for Cisco-minded folk? ex. how do I turn port 1 into a trunk, or assign a LAG group as a general port.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
No luck in getting the breakout cable out of the QSFP slot. This is the active controller switch in my stack. I really need to remove the entire interface slot from the unit and try to remove it that way.
Don't do that, when it's in the chassis the slots are securely attached to the metal chassis. If you remove the card from the switch and apply any pressure to the slots you risk ripping them right off the stack card PCB.

Just do this - find a big flathead screwdriver, put it in between the QSFP hump and the rear of the switch,. and rotate it while pulling out. works every time:

It's all solid metal so don't be afraid to apply some force on the screwdriver rotation

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Any guides on these for Cisco-minded folk? ex. how do I turn port 1 into a trunk, or assign a LAG group as a general port.
trunk is just static lag - which you don't want. use LACP, which is referred to as dynamic LAG in brocade parlance.
To set one up just do

Code:
enable
conf t
lag customlagname123 dynamic
ports ethernet 1/1/1 to 1/1/2
primary-port 1/1/1
deploy
It'l create and deploy the LAG. To configure all ports in the LAG, (like tag them with vlans) you just do it on the primary port. So to add the whole LAG to vlan 4 tagged you should do vlan 4 > tagged eth 1/1/1

run "show lag" to see the status

I really recommend reading the included documentation (for this case that'll be the l2-guide, LAG section), it says exactly the same thing and I don't have to type it :)

buckminst

Jul 20, 2018
Utah
I pulled the trigger, and a new (to me) ICX6610-48 is on its way to me. Anything I should keep in mind for first steps in getting it going?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Don't do that, when it's in the chassis the slots are securely attached to the metal chassis. If you remove the card from the switch and apply any pressure to the slots you risk ripping them right off the stack card PCB.

Just do this - find a big flathead screwdriver, put it in between the QSFP hump and the rear of the switch,. and rotate it while pulling out. works every time:

It's all solid metal so don't be afraid to apply some force on the screwdriver rotation
No luck.. I have tried everything.. I 'm going to leave the cable in the slot...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
no way....how hard did you rotate/pry the screwdriver? I've never seen something stuck that bad. Are you pulling the release tab too? just keep prying on it with a screwdriver lol, if you've tried only prying from the top, flip the switch over and pry from the bottom (or get two screwdrivers and pry from top and bottom at the same time)

Reactions: Tha_14

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Here is the deal on the breakout cables. They work. There is one cavet. In order for interface 1/2/2 to work, I have to remove the stack cable for interface 1/2/1. Once I do that, interface 1/2/2 comes up. It looks like in a stack configuration, it wants to use interface 1/2/2. Not sure what to try now....

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
no way....how hard did you rotate/pry the screwdriver? I've never seen something stuck that bad. Are you pulling the release tab too? just keep prying on it with a screwdriver lol, if you've tried only prying from the top, flip the switch over and pry from the bottom
I have tried so hard that the release tab has ripped off. I probably will leave it and take my 3rd unit and use it as my active controller in the stack. The 3rd switch is scheduled to be delivered on Monday now...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Here is the deal on the breakout cables. They work. There is one cavet. In order for interface 1/2/2 to work, I have to remove the stack cable for interface 1/2/1. Once I do that, interface 1/2/2 comes up. It looks like in a stack configuration, it wants to use interface 1/2/2. Not sure what to try now....
hmm...that doesn't make any sense, I'm using the config I sent you and I can use 1/2/2 as breakout with stacking in 1/2/1 no problem

Can you paste the stacking section of "show run"? It sounds like it might have added a stack trunk back to the code

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
hmm...that doesn't make any sense, I'm using the config I sent you and I can use 1/2/2 as breakout with stacking in 1/2/1 no problem

Can you paste the stacking section of "show run"? It sounds like it might have added a stack trunk back to the code
No stack-trunk in the config file...

stack unit 1
module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
priority 128
stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/6
stack unit 2
module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/6
stack enable
stack mac cc4e.24b8.5c4c
!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
hitless failover is added automatically when you run the stack setup command - your config looks identical to mine and mine has no link issues when mixing stacking and data breakout, the only difference I know of is I am using an optical breakout and you are using a DAC breakout. I will try to lab this up specifically and see if I can reproduce the issue

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Having another issue with a LACP-BLOCKED interface (1/1/2).

=== LAG "pfSense_Backup" ID 2 (dynamic Deployed) ===
LAG Configuration:
Ports: e 1/1/2 e 2/1/2
Port Count: 2
Primary Port: 1/1/2
Trunk Type: hash-based
LACP Key: 20002
Deployment: HW Trunk ID 3
Port Link State Dupl Speed Trunk Tag Pvid Pri MAC Name
1/1/2 Up Blocked Full 100M 2 Yes N/A 0 cc4e.24b8.5c4c To pfSense Back
2/1/2 Up Forward Full 1G 2 Yes N/A 0 cc4e.24b8.5c4c

Port [Sys P] [Port P] [ Key ] [Act][Tio][Agg][Syn][Col][Dis][Def][Exp][Ope]
1/1/2 1 1 20002 Yes L Agg Syn Col Dis Def No Err
2/1/2 1 1 20002 Yes L Agg Syn Col Dis No No Ope

Partner Info and PDU Statistics
Port Partner Partner LACP LACP
System ID Key Rx Count Tx Count
1/1/2 32768-0090.7f91.77b6 518 0 512
2/1/2 32768-0090.7f91.77b6 523 27 30

ICX6610-48P Router#show interface e 1/1/2
GigabitEthernet1/1/2 is up, line protocol is down (LACP-BLOCKED)
Port down (LACP-BLOCKED) for 11 minute(s) 51 second(s)
Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is cc4e.24b8.5c4c (bia cc4e.24b8.5c4d)
Configured speed auto, actual 100Mbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
Configured mdi mode AUTO, actual MDIX
Member of 2 L2 VLANs, port is tagged, port state is BLOCKING
BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled, Designated protect is Disabled
Link Error Dampening is Disabled
STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
Openflow is Disabled, Openflow Hybrid mode is Disabled, Flow Control is config enabled, oper enabled, negotiation disabled
Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled
Mac-notification is disabled
Member of active trunk ports 1/1/2,2/1/2, primary port is 1/1/2
Member of configured trunk ports 1/1/2,2/1/2, primary port is 1/1/2
Port name is To pfSense Backup Appliance
Inter-Packet Gap (IPG) is 96 bit times

buckminst

Jul 20, 2018
Utah
Port Link State Dupl Speed Trunk Tag Pvid Pri MAC Name
1/1/2 Up Blocked Full 100M 2 Yes N/A 0 cc4e.24b8.5c4c To pfSense Back
2/1/2 Up Forward Full 1G 2 Yes N/A 0 cc4e.24b8.5c4c
It concerns me that your 1/1/2 interface is only coming up as 100M. I wonder if that could be part of the problem?