Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
no special switch commands, it'll work fine

QoS for voice is important when you're on a limited WAN connection and have a lot of other competing traffic, eg business environments where you need to guarantee bandwidth for the phone system. In a home environment with 50mbps of WAN available (or even more these days) QoS'ing 0.001mbps worth of VOIP traffic isn't going to get you a whole lot, even when pegging the connection with netflix instances etc most home routers these days have smart enough buffers/management to not squash a tiny 8kbps voip connection. This becomes more important when you start to have a larger overall phone system (like a PBX) where you need guaranteed bandwidth to support several simultaneous calls

If you do want to implement QoS, you would need to do it where the WAN connection is (eg your router). Since the switch will do full line rate on every port (tens of thousands of times more bandwidth than a VOIP call) there's not much to be gained by assigning different QoS flows/etc on the switch to voip traffic in a home situation

Reactions: tommybackeast

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I 'm having some issues trying to access the 10g interfaces on the back of the ICX 6610 (1/2/2 to 1/2/5 and 1/2/7 to 1/2/10). I have a stack configuration and it looks like interface 1/2/2 and 1/2/27 is part of stack unit 1 trunk (see screenshot).

My goal is to only use interface 1/2/1 and 1/2/6 only for stack unit 1 and for stack unit 2 use interface 2/2/1 and 2/2/6 only for stack unit 2. The other interfaces (1/2/2 to 1/2/5 and 1/2/7 to 1/2/10 and 2/2/2 to 2/2/5 and 2/2/7 to 2/2/10) I want to use as 10g ports.

Not sure how to do fix this.
IMG_1367_2.jpg

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Based on reading more documentation about stacking on the ICX6610, it looks like if you have a stack configuration, the 4 ports on the back of the unit is dedicated to stack trunks (1/2/1 to 1/2/2) and (1/2/6 to 1/2/7).

kapone

May 23, 2015
PGlover - I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but with the latest firmware (and you must have the latest firmware to unlock the rear ports for normal use, otherwise they are dedicated stacking ports), which I believe is 8.0.3, it allows using the rear ports as "anything".

So, again, depending on what you're trying to do, you could use the two 40g (non breakout) ports for stacking and use the 10g (the 40g breakout) ports as switch ports.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Here is what I am trying to achieve. I only want the two 40g ports in the stack-trunk (1/2/1 & 1/2/6) as well as these ports in the stack-port for the active switch as well as the standby switch. So, then I can use the other 2 ports to breakout to eight 10g interfaces.

For example the commands would be:

Config
Stack unit 1 [Stack for the active controller]
Stack-trunk 1/2/1 1/2/6 [Only want the two 40g ports in the stack]
Stack-ports 1/2/1 1/2/6 [Only want the two 40g ports in the stack]

Stack unit 2 [Stack for the standby controller]
Stack-trunk 2/2/1 2/2/6 [Only want the two 40g ports in the stack]
Stack-ports 2/2/1 2/2/6 [Only want the two 40g ports in the stack]

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
OK - considering the rear ports are not intended to be used for data ports, you won't find any information on this in the manuals etc. Using them as just data ports is easy enough, but splitting them up and using some for stacking and some for data ports requires some finangling to make the stacking code not try and take over all 4 ports.

However it's possible and stable across reboots etc. basically follow this, it might take you a couple times. This will enable stacking between two units just using the 40gbE qsfp ports, leaving 4x breakout QSFPs total available for data use

Code:
#unplug all stacking cables except for 1, going between port 1/2/1 on unit 1 and 1/2/1 on unit two
#don't plug anything else into unit 2 or you'll get a loop
#first you have to unstack all the units and remove any existing stack configuration:
enable
stack unconfigure all
write mem
reload
#both switches should reload, wait till they come back up

#when they're back up, on unit 1:
enable
conf t
stack unit 1
no stack-trunk 1/2/1 to 1/2/2
stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/6
#ignore the warning that pops up about not showing up in "show run"

#still running the below on unit 1!
stack unit 2
no stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2
stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/6
#ignore the warning that pops up about not showing up in "show run"
exit
stack enable
write mem
exit
stack secure-setup

#When the setup is done, do "show run"
#stack unit 2 section probably has "stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2" added back to it

#the second switch is currently rebooting to rejoin the stack, wait for it to do so
#once it comes back online, do the following to remove the stack unit 2 trunk:
#still on unit 1:
conf t
stack unit 2
no stack-trunk 2/2/1 to 2/2/2
#will probably reboot unit 2 again
#wait for it to come back online, then connect the second pair of 40gbE ports
Once you connect the second pair of 40gbe ports (1/2/6 on unit 1 to 1/2/6 on unit 2) you should be done. Check by running "show stack", you should see both units "ready" with the connection diagram showing both 40gbE ports linked up like below:

Code:
ICX1#sh stack
T=6m28.6: alone: standalone, D: dynamic cfg, S: static
ID   Type          Role    Mac Address    Pri State   Comment
1  S ICX6610-48P   active  cc4e.24b8.d9d0 128 local   Ready
2  S ICX6610-48P   standby cc4e.243e.aa74   0 remote  Ready

active       standby
     +---+        +---+
 -2/6| 1 |2/1--2/1| 2 |2/6-
 |   +---+        +---+   |
 |                        |
 |------------------------|
Standby u2 - protocols ready, can failover
Current stack management MAC is cc4e.24b8.d9d0
If you have the same output, do a "write mem" then a "reload" to reload the whole stack. It should come back up fresh in the correct state and running "show stack" again should have the same output as before.

Your final stacking config should look like this:

Code:
stack unit 1
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
  priority 128
  stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/6
stack unit 2
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
  stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/6
stack enable

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yup looks good. it's just telling you that optical monitoring (as in showing optical signal details of fiber links) is not allowed on stack ports. Which doesn't matter anyway, even if it was, it's not going to work on DAC cables since there's no optic transceivers

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
My final switch setup is creating a static route to my pfSense appliance. Here is the commands I'm using to

configure terminal
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.1.1.6
write memory

When I type the "show ip route" there are no entries in the routing table. When I try to configure the route again, it tells me it is a duplicate. The switch is not connected to any network right now. What command will show me the route?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Do you have a VE assigned to a vlan with an address in that subnet? If so, is there a cable/link active anywhere in that vlan? If not, the VE will not come online, and if it doesn't come online, any routes using it as an interface will be taken out of the routing table as it won't waste route table entries on routes that can't possibly go anywhere

if you want to check it's in there run "show run" to show the configuration, or just plug something into a port on that vlen so it brings the VE up

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Do you have a VE assigned to a vlan with an address in that subnet? If so, is there a cable/link active anywhere in that vlan? If not, the VE will not come online, and if it doesn't come online, any routes using it as an interface will be taken out of the routing table as it won't waste route table entries on routes that can't possibly go anywhere

if you want to check it's in there run "show run" to show the configuration, or just plug something into a port on that vlen so it brings the VE up
It is definitely in the configuration file. I do have a VE assigned to the vlan. I don't have any cable/link active in the vlan right now. I will plug something in the vlan to test..

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

The port is showing LACP Blocked, so I can't test the interface 1/1/1 that is assigned to the Vlan VE. I will connect it to my pfSense LACP port tomorrow and check it out..