Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Anyone managed to pick up any of the DC PSUs for the 6610? They're RPS16DC-{I,E}.
In 3 or 4 years of messing with these switches I've never seen any on ebay, I would imagine you'd have to find a vendor with some old stock left ovet to buy one

make sure you have a -48V power supply (eg the + rail is tied to ground/earth). If you plug in a normal power supply (eg negative is referenced to ground/earth) it'll fry both the switch and the power supply

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
it depends so I can't say for sure, especially at those distances. 10gbps over copper is much more finicky - there's a thread somewhere on STH about that transceiver and distance tests, some people still got 10gbps at 100ft, others didn't. If you're worried about the "routability" of fiber, most multimode fiber is more flexible/easier to run than shielded cat6/cat7 in my experience (the shielding makes it less flexible)
Thanks, I have never run Fiber Optic cable myself; and perhaps was thinking it was too fragile.

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
In 3 or 4 years of messing with these switches I've never seen any on ebay, I would imagine you'd have to find a vendor with some old stock left ovet to buy one

make sure you have a -48V power supply (eg the + rail is tied to ground/earth). If you plug in a normal power supply (eg negative is referenced to ground/earth) it'll fry both the switch and the power supply
I believe I saw some on ebay briefly on my hunt for a 6610, but it costed more than an AC switch. So think 300+$ USD.

Reactions: fohdeesha

kapone

May 23, 2015
Brocade ICX 6610-48-E 48 Ports Gigabit Ethernet Switch | eBay

130$ USD + shipping, I got one from them last time. GOGOGO.
While that's not a bad price, it has only one fan and one PSU. Given how hot these things run, even though the switch will run with that combination, I wouldn't run it like that.

That one fan assembly and one PSU fan have to work twice as hard to provide the same cooling as something with both fan assemblies and power supplies.

By the time you procure another fan assembly and PSU, might as well buy something that comes with them.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I have 2 ICX6610 POE switches arriving today. The plan is to have these in a stack configuration. For the initial setup, do I follow the setup instructions for each switch at the URL below or are there different instructions to follow in setting up the second switch that will eventually be the backup switch in the stack.

FCX / ICX6610 - FBOM Docs

For example, on the 2nd switch, once I create the router-interface on Vlan 1 and perform all the updates, I probably would want to remove the router-interface on the 2nd switch.

vlan 1
no router-interface ve 1
write memory

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
just follow it on both of them to make sure they are both fully updated.

There's no need to remove any config options, the stacking setup command automatically backs up then removes the config from the slave switches since it becomes part of the master config

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
While that's not a bad price, it has only one fan and one PSU. Given how hot these things run, even though the switch will run with that combination, I wouldn't run it like that
It'll just increase the fan speed one step to compensate (eg run louder). according to my SE back in the day 90% of these were sold and operated with 1 psu and 1 fan tray, with the rest of them being 2 psu with 1 fan tray. Since the fan tray is already redundant with the PSU fans (you can pull the tray out and it'll still run, it'll just max out PSU fans), they were almost never configured with two fan trays. From what I heard it was basically for very hot environments or high altitude applications

kapone

May 23, 2015
It'll just increase the fan speed one step to compensate (eg run louder). according to my SE back in the day 90% of these were sold and operated with 1 psu and 1 fan tray, with the rest of them being 2 psu with 1 fan tray. Since the fan tray is already redundant with the PSU fans (you can pull the tray out and it'll still run, it'll just max out PSU fans), they were almost never configured with two fan trays. From what I heard it was basically for very hot environments or high altitude applications
Which is probably almost all of the "home labs" where they will be running.... ;) Data centers are much more cooler than a garage...

Reactions: realtomatoes

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Most of the large datacenters these days run closer to 80f (some closer to 85f after the studies came out showing the savings versus very little detriment to hardware life), I don't think I would ever run a homelab that hot. My equipment would die if I put it in a garage here :p very hot according to brocade would be something over 100f ambient (rated up to 130f ambient with 2 fan trays)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
There is a doc on fan tray and PSU selection requirements on the paid support internal support site, along with a bunch of other very useful stuff, I've been thinking about posting a couple of them here but I guess that would be against the EULA/rules? I would leave it up to @Patrick to decide

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I am struggling trying to erase the startup-configure. I have updated the firmware. The unit was in stack configuration so I removed that. Here is what I am getting. Please help....

Attachments

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
FYI don't run "write memory" after erasing a startup config - the guide says to immediately reload the switch, so do that - if the switch actually had a running config on it, the "write memory" command would have just written it right back to the startup-config file

in the second pic, that's perfectly normal, it's just saying it no longer has a config file to load, which is what you want. just hit enter a couple times to get to the CLI again.

follow the guide EXACTLY, do not try to add your own commands

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Ok.. For some reason there are old configurations in the running-config... How do I start fresh with a running config?

Attachments

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
dude, just follow the guide........those aren't from an old config, those are from it grabbing an IP over DHCP. One of the very first steps in the guide is turning that off with "ip dhcp-client disable"

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
dude, just follow the guide........those aren't from an old config, those are from it grabbing an IP over DHCP. One of the very first steps in the guide is turning that off with "ip dhcp-client disable"
Sorry for all the questions...

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Question re VOIP phone modems:

Switch: Brocade 6450-24p

VOIP phone modem : Obihai OBi200

OBiTALK

Sake of conversation, plugging this phone modem's CAT6 cable into Brocade 6450 port 10.

What commands are executed on the Brocade given this is a VOIP phone modem?

Should it be on its on VLAN by example, and if yes - CLI syntax to achieve this.

Thank u