Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fohdeesha, Jul 12, 2018.

1. itronin

itronin Active Member

You may want to mention the Rev of the PSU's.

2. Thorzeen

Thorzeen New Member

Good call Thanks!!

3. Bell System

Bell System New Member

Wow, I just want to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. What a great community - I've been messing around with stuff like this at home for years, but for some reason never really stumbled onto STH forums! This thread has made me a believer...

I'm really excited since I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and it has some CAT5e (hey, beggars can't be choosers; most homes have zilch for structured wiring!)... So I enthusiastically read every single post up to this point, and somewhere around page 50 I couldn't take it any longer and purchased two 6450-24P's on eBay @$175/ea. (shipped, USA).

...Unfortunately, that was about 20 or 30 pages before people started posting reports of busted switches from eBay seller "g-electronic," which of course is who I purchased mine from. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do it looks like I'll be putting them through a VERY intense round of testing and burn-in, especially the PoE stuff. Ugh. I'll be sure to report back on their condition once they arrive.

Thanks again to all, especially @fohdeesha!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, does anyone know if a 6450 and a 6430 can be stacked provided there are no L3 features enabled on the 6450? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. Thanks.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  4. klui

klui Member

About g-electronics.

I think the initial post from Hakujou was offset with the same experience with another seller's 6610. rgunner obtained a full refund. Most likely they obtained some bad switches that had damaged PoE modules.

My 6610-48P came from them and I have to state that it works fine for the lab. All ports work with PoE. All SFP+/QSFP+ ports work with the Mellanox DACs I have access to. The only issue is one of the link LEDs doesn't work. Prior to buying I asked them what PSU versions they had on hand and whether they had ears because their photos didn't show any. They allocated one with Rev B PSU along with with ears. Their customer support is pretty awesome, considering what rgunner experienced.

5. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

can't stack the 6450 with a 6430

6. Bell System

Bell System New Member

Yeah, I'm sure they'll make it right if there are any troubles.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

7. Hakujou

Hakujou New Member

About broken 6610s... I finally decided myself to order a third one from a third seller. HOPEFULLY this time it won't have the issue I had with the first ones.
    I also sent a message to my second seller (fcmanagement), I'll let you know how this goes...

I really hope the third will be the last because I'm starting to getting tired honestly. If the third one does not work I'll probably buy a 7250...

EDIT: I have a dumb question. Does a PoE PSU on a non-PoE unit enables it ? I assume not, it probably has some additional controllers I guess.
    And if not, would a PoE PSU work on a non-PoE Unit (even if it does not enable it, will it work ?)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. kapone

kapone Well-Known Member

The PoE power supplies are essentially two discrete power supplies in a single unit.

If you plug a PoE power supply into a unit, that does not have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, with no PoE functionality.
    If you plug a PoE power supply into a unit, that does have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, with PoE functionality.

If you plug a non-PoE power supply into a unit, that does have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, WITHOUT PoE functionality.
    If you plug a non-PoE power supply into a unit, that does not have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, well...duh. :)

fohdeesha and Hakujou like this.
  9. cuco

cuco Member

hey,
    my 6610 finally arrived. so powered up and just wanted to login to the webintereface. What is default user and password? tried admin/password but this did not work. thanks for the help

10. fohdeesha

the update + config guide in big bold letters in the original thread post

MikeWebb likes this.
  11. cuco

cuco Member

Thanks. i wil have a look!

12. Hakujou

Hakujou New Member

I have another (dumb) question. I have two "deads" ICX 6610-48P switches (ASIC errors, see my previous posts) but the PoE part was working fine.
    Next week I'll receive a non PoE unit (also 48 ports). Can I transplant a PoE board and the power supplies from one of the PoE units to the non-PoE one ?

13. fohdeesha

it's been a long time since I've looked, but I THINK so assuming the main board has the headers for it. I know the PoE units identify themselves to the software as PoE models with some bit set in the chassis EEPROM and I don't know which one it is, so you'll need to copy the eeprom from the PoE unit to the non-PoE unit which isn't hard, just run the following in the bootloader to get the eeprom contents:

i2c read 1 0 256
    i2c read 1 100 256

copy the output of both commands to a text file somewhere

14. cuco

cuco Member

Which 40gbit card would you recommend to use with the icx6610?

15. Hakujou

Hakujou New Member

Should I run that on both PoE and non-PoE units and send them to you to compare ? I'm not sure of what to do.

Mellanox ones are pretty popular around here. They're cheap and they work fine.

16. cuco

cuco Member

17. Hakujou

Hakujou New Member

18. fohdeesha

sure, ill send back the commands to write over on the PoE model. to ensure we're not wasting our time, before doing anything I would open up the non poe and ensure it has the appropriate headers etc

19. fohdeesha

Bell System likes this.
  20. Hakujou

Hakujou New Member

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Looks like the switch hasn't left the USA yet, so I'm not expecting to get it before another 1-2 weeks. I'll send them when I got it.