Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Bell System

May 26, 2019
Southwest USA
Wow, I just want to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. What a great community - I've been messing around with stuff like this at home for years, but for some reason never really stumbled onto STH forums! This thread has made me a believer...

I'm really excited since I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and it has some CAT5e (hey, beggars can't be choosers; most homes have zilch for structured wiring!)... So I enthusiastically read every single post up to this point, and somewhere around page 50 I couldn't take it any longer and purchased two 6450-24P's on eBay @$175/ea. (shipped, USA).

...Unfortunately, that was about 20 or 30 pages before people started posting reports of busted switches from eBay seller "g-electronic," which of course is who I purchased mine from. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do it looks like I'll be putting them through a VERY intense round of testing and burn-in, especially the PoE stuff. Ugh. I'll be sure to report back on their condition once they arrive.

Thanks again to all, especially @fohdeesha!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, does anyone know if a 6450 and a 6430 can be stacked provided there are no L3 features enabled on the 6450? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. Thanks.

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
About g-electronics.

I think the initial post from Hakujou was offset with the same experience with another seller's 6610. rgunner obtained a full refund. Most likely they obtained some bad switches that had damaged PoE modules.

My 6610-48P came from them and I have to state that it works fine for the lab. All ports work with PoE. All SFP+/QSFP+ ports work with the Mellanox DACs I have access to. The only issue is one of the link LEDs doesn't work. Prior to buying I asked them what PSU versions they had on hand and whether they had ears because their photos didn't show any. They allocated one with Rev B PSU along with with ears. Their customer support is pretty awesome, considering what rgunner experienced.

Bell System

May 26, 2019
Southwest USA
About g-electronics.

I think the initial post from Hakujou was offset with the same experience with another seller's 6610. rgunner obtained a full refund. Most likely they obtained some bad switches that had damaged PoE modules.

My 6610-48P came from them and I have to state that it works fine for the lab. All ports work with PoE. All SFP+/QSFP+ ports work with the Mellanox DACs I have access to. The only issue is one of the link LEDs doesn't work. Prior to buying I asked them what PSU versions they had on hand and whether they had ears because their photos didn't show any. They allocated one with Rev B PSU along with with ears. Their customer support is pretty awesome, considering what rgunner experienced.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll make it right if there are any troubles.

can't stack the 6450 with a 6430
Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
About broken 6610s... I finally decided myself to order a third one from a third seller. HOPEFULLY this time it won't have the issue I had with the first ones.
I also sent a message to my second seller (fcmanagement), I'll let you know how this goes...

I really hope the third will be the last because I'm starting to getting tired honestly. If the third one does not work I'll probably buy a 7250...

EDIT: I have a dumb question. Does a PoE PSU on a non-PoE unit enables it ? I assume not, it probably has some additional controllers I guess.
And if not, would a PoE PSU work on a non-PoE Unit (even if it does not enable it, will it work ?)

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
The PoE power supplies are essentially two discrete power supplies in a single unit.

If you plug a PoE power supply into a unit, that does not have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, with no PoE functionality.
If you plug a PoE power supply into a unit, that does have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, with PoE functionality.

If you plug a non-PoE power supply into a unit, that does have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, WITHOUT PoE functionality.
If you plug a non-PoE power supply into a unit, that does not have PoE functionality/innards - it'll work as usual, well...duh. :)

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
hey,
my 6610 finally arrived. so powered up and just wanted to login to the webintereface. What is default user and password? tried admin/password but this did not work. thanks for the help

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
hey,
my 6610 finally arrived. so powered up and just wanted to login to the webintereface. What is default user and password? tried admin/password but this did not work. thanks for the help
the update + config guide in big bold letters in the original thread post

Reactions: MikeWebb

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
I have another (dumb) question. I have two "deads" ICX 6610-48P switches (ASIC errors, see my previous posts) but the PoE part was working fine.
Next week I'll receive a non PoE unit (also 48 ports). Can I transplant a PoE board and the power supplies from one of the PoE units to the non-PoE one ?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
it's been a long time since I've looked, but I THINK so assuming the main board has the headers for it. I know the PoE units identify themselves to the software as PoE models with some bit set in the chassis EEPROM and I don't know which one it is, so you'll need to copy the eeprom from the PoE unit to the non-PoE unit which isn't hard, just run the following in the bootloader to get the eeprom contents:

i2c read 1 0 256
i2c read 1 100 256

copy the output of both commands to a text file somewhere

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
it's been a long time since I've looked, but I THINK so assuming the main board has the headers for it. I know the PoE units identify themselves to the software as PoE models with some bit set in the chassis EEPROM and I don't know which one it is, so you'll need to copy the eeprom from the PoE unit to the non-PoE unit which isn't hard, just run the following in the bootloader to get the eeprom contents:

i2c read 1 0 256
i2c read 1 100 256

copy the output of both commands to a text file somewhere
Should I run that on both PoE and non-PoE units and send them to you to compare ? I'm not sure of what to do.

Which 40gbit card would you recommend to use with the icx6610?
Mellanox ones are pretty popular around here. They're cheap and they work fine.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Should I run that on both PoE and non-PoE units and send them to you to compare ? I'm not sure of what to do.
sure, ill send back the commands to write over on the PoE model. to ensure we're not wasting our time, before doing anything I would open up the non poe and ensure it has the appropriate headers etc

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
sure, ill send back the commands to write over on the PoE model. to ensure we're not wasting our time, before doing anything I would open up the non poe and ensure it has the appropriate headers etc
Thanks a lot for your help.
Looks like the switch hasn't left the USA yet, so I'm not expecting to get it before another 1-2 weeks. I'll send them when I got it.